Auto map installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto map installer

Would it not be excellent if ut3 has a built-in custom map installer which finds the ut3 folder and puts texture, mesh etc files to their proper folder? A simple addition that will make installing third party maps no brainer for everyone including newcomers...

I don't have any trouble put the the files where they go.. this way it wont over write files iv changed..

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinDeath View Post
      Would it not be excellent if ut3 has a built-in custom map installer which finds the ut3 folder and puts texture, mesh etc files to their proper folder? A simple addition that will make installing third party maps no brainer for everyone including newcomers...
      i think it would be better if it auto-installed into a mod folder... there the mods/custom maps would then have a seperate space for all their files (beyond the default). then, when that mod/map is loaded, the game looks there first, and if it can't find any, it'll look into the default folders.

should prevent most overwriting issues.

Comment

Agreed with the separate mod folders idea. It also means that if you want to make your own maps or what ever you can easily tell what's stock and what's not.

Comment

An in game menu that allows you to view, add, or remove the files you've accumulated through online play would be very welcome.

Comment

+1.

When you add a server to your favourites, an option to download that server's map rotation would be good.

The downside is a bandwidth hit on whoever is sorting the files - but most are on redirects in any case.

Comment

nice idea, i like it.
              +2 here (i count as 2)

i also had this idea. a in game mod/map browser. so u can download them from UT3 file servers. INGAME. and ps3 users can dl them too. and u can free upload. and rate mods/maps.

Comment

downside to auto-installers is that those of us running servers need to put the files in their appropriate folders on the server(s)..and won't have visibility to what files besides the map file need to be uploaded to server and redirect... many maps are already released as auto-install...i have always preferred .zips myself..mapmakers can always jsut use 'mylevel' if they really want to make it a no-brainer..

Comment

There's no real reason I can see why it couldn't still work with zips, just look at Swedix's UT2004Mi (Map installer) - http://www.real-swedix.net/ut2004mi.html

Comment

It's an okay idea, but is it really worth it? You can take all the files, right click, arrange icons by type, and then easily drag them into the proper folders. Of course, this method is in windows. But as linux said to windows: "Anything you can do I can do better"

Comment

How would that work on consoles? A better way to organize downloads needs to be in place for them, does it not?

Sorry, I have no experience with how this works now for consoles.

Comment

A seperate folder for custom maps is an excellent idea. I am geared more to a stand-alone installer rather than an ingame menu. Keep in mind that the former would encourage ut3 newcomers to try new custom maps. Writing such an installer should be a piece of cake for Epic.

Comment

as would ppl reading the readme..

Comment

make a menu called map manager, which lists all downloaded maps in your cache, and it shows the correct names of the maps. Have check box's next to them. And the ps3 user or pc user can check the ones he wants to have copied to his perma map folder instead of sitting in the cache for a month till deleted automaticly

Comment

well, all i will say is "anybody that is actually worth OWNING your map should have enough brains to realise "oh, whats that? a texture package. i will put that in my TEXTURES folder, and not be a ****** and spend 3 hours online looking up HOW to put it there "

Comment

Working...
                              X