Defending the Orb and Power Core (main base and Orb spawns) in WAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defending the Orb and Power Core (main base and Orb spawns) in WAR

The Orb spawns at the main base in the one map we've seen, and I don't think this will vary too much amongst maps, as distance to travel seems to be a part of the design.

The Orb is obviously very useful, and proper use can be a definite advantage to a team. The enemy, in order to keep the Orb out of play, has a legitimate reason to attack and harass the main base (or Orb spawn node).

I assume/trust/hope that player spawn point locations and spawn protection have been properly/adequately balanced/considered such that the enemies legitimate tactics are not tarnished with labels such that it is compared to the dishonourable practice of spawn-killing.

Since the base will be attacked, someone spawning there should be able to defend themselves as they enter the fray. Dieing defending the base is fun. Dieing trying to get a weapon that actually does something is not fun. Deriving pleasure from running over someone with a Manta while they attempt to arm themselves is sadistic (if you do it more than twice*).

If both sides can feel they've died well, then it's fun for everyone, and that's what I want.

Any comments? Ideas?

[EDIT]****, I hate when this happens. The first option should read.

It is reasonable to want a chance to arm oneself before dieing in defense of ones team.
    [/EDIT]

*OK, maybe three times

Thats why theres the vehicle nightshade thats invisible and can set up defense systems for whatever its guarding.

Comment

But its only for necris team. I think, counterpart for it will be Hellbender and/or Paladin.

Comment

This poll lacks a whole lotta options, including:
        • Spawnkilling should be discouraged.
        • Spawnkilling should be encouraged.
        • Spawnkilling should be impossible.
        • Why the hell aren't those n00bs trying to retake their only primary?
        • I don't give a ****.

Comment

Also,

<3 Harrassment

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
            This poll lacks a whole lotta options, including:
            • Spawnkilling should be discouraged.
            • Spawnkilling should be encouraged.
            • Spawnkilling should be impossible.
            • Why the hell aren't those n00bs trying to retake their only primary?
            • I don't give a ****.
            I have to admit I was more interested in stimulating a discussion than trying to come up with every possibility for a poll.

Much of what you've listed there is encompassed in the choices I gave.

I don't think why the hell aren't those n00bs trying to retake their only primary is valid in WAR. This isn't ONS. Defending the Orb spawn (i.e. the Orb runners back) is likely to be important to retaking the primary.

Don't think so?

Comment

i hate spawnkilling...

Comment

This poll seems to assume a couple of things.

First off, people don't respawn until they're ready. If you respawn out of habit, you can't really be surprised that you're at a disadvantage when you enter the game. Take a moment to collect yourself, and respawn under the assumption that you'll be entering a warzone. Because you will be.

Second, you can still dodge right out of a respawn. You aren't nailed to the spot. Get moving! There's no reason that your respawn reflex can't be modified to include an automatic dodge to one side. Training yourself is better than altering the game to prop up a weakness.

Next, there's a reason why player's don't have all of the weapons at spawn. Being under-equipped is part of the game, and too many people play as if they're being slighted because they have to deal with a situation they consider "dishonorable". Where is the "honorable" gauge on the HUD, again? Now that Epic has dealt with the spawn weapon issue (i.e. actually giving the player a weapon at spawn, rather than a noise-maker that deactivates your spawn protection), there should be nothing further to say about this.

Lastly, Epic already includes spawn protection as the default. Why isn't this good enough? Not effective against vehicles? Then why are you spawning at the base over and over, knowing you'll just die? What? You say the base is your last holding? Then the rest of your team should be there with you, eroding enemy vehicles and evading attack in order to rally for a counter-attack.

If that isn't happening, no programmed-in game-fixes will help you win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                  Harassing the main base (or Orb spawn nodes) to keep the Orb from entering play is yet another sign that the Orb gimmick is dishonorable.
                  Fixed. (2 grammar errors and 1 gameplay perspective)

Comment

Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
                    there's a reason why player's don't have all of the weapons at spawn. Being under-equipped is part of the game
                    There's "under-equipped", there's "grossly under-equipped" and there's "equipped only with a pea shooter", which is where UT2004 comes in. You'd still be grossly under-equipped if you spawned with a shock rifle with 5 charges, but at least you would not be defenseless.

Lastly, Epic already includes spawn protection as the default. Why isn't this good enough?
                    The problem is compounded by the fact that spawn protection is canceled if you visit a weapon locker. So you're tank bait before you even manage to switch to your new toy.

Comment

Originally posted by willhaven
                      Beyongd Unreal

Then there's the tactic of rushing to grief the enemy orb carrier before he can do anything with it.
                      Willhaven the griefer... always doing his best to break things! Good boy.

Comment

Better break things now than after the demo comes out.

Comment

I agree with your comment that dieing in a good fight is fun, getting squashed trying to get to the weapons, not so much.
                          Plowing through the enemy base at least one time in a manta... priceless

I 'trust' this has been, or will be, balanced before it goes gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                            ...spawn protection is canceled if you visit a weapon locker...
                            Really? Huh. I did not know that!

Comment

Really? Huh. I did not know that!
                              News to me. I thought it was just the firing a weapon!?

Comment

Working...
                              X