Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum Internet Connection Reqd for UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
    ...I remember the days of playing UT1 on dialup. It was tough being a custom map lover, but I just downloaded most of what I wanted when I wasn't playing.
    Or waited for the next months game mag to come out with a map pack on the coverdisk. I had a few of those.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    my reply faild :|

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bersy View Post
    That's probably enough, if you don't care about custom maps. What country are you in. I'd be more concerned about finding good servers in your ping range.
    He could probably play on custom maps, but it might be easier to download and install them from sites like Nali City or Unreal Playground when he's not playing. I remember the days of playing UT1 on dialup. It was tough being a custom map lover, but I just downloaded most of what I wanted when I wasn't playing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wulf Sternhammer View Post
    I just hope it doesnt play like STALKER did...
    i wouldn't be too concerned about that considering the game's online heritage and focus. i think stalker is largely an SP experience with MP tossed in. ut3, on the other hand, is MP oriented with SP tossed in to round it out. this is a game the developers know will gain press and word of mouth based on online experience, even if most players never venture online.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I just hope it doesnt play like STALKER did. I bought it, went onto a server and it was literally a slide show. In fact a slide show would be quicker. Waste of money and havent played it since.

I would be REALLY gutted.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have 148 kb/s dsl and i have very good ping for ut2k4 (30-60 and plenty to choose from) but i also live in central US so that could be a factor... i don't know about ut3 though...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    >Counter Strike also has built in anti-lag, up to 800ms I think.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LibertySaint View Post
    for 4 years i played counter strike with a ping on average of 500, 400 on a good day, and i still got number one lots of times on the board at the end of the game....so really if u have skill the connection isn't that big of a deal, yes it matters, but 50 and 100 pings are like nothing...
    btw i think a 256kps will do, thats what dsl so i pretty sure they'll get it too u with that.
    Umm, obviously ping plays much more of a role in a game where there is constant ultra fast paced action compared to one where people sit behind crates picking their noses.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Defeat View Post
    >You can run UT2004 on a 5Kb line and you'd probably still be fine although I don't know about huge ONS games, it's all about how your routed and the quality of the connections. And no one who wants to game should get satellite, your ping will be worse than people on dial-up.
    yes satellite may say it has a 2 mb download connection and 512 upload, but thats not taking in count physics, it will still be like a 2 second lag to shoot a bullet...trust me, i had it once. its good for MMo's tho just not shooters.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jake-SF View Post
    Enough???

My old connection... I don't remember how good it was, but my max download speed was 300 kb/sec.

I live in Canada, and in UT2004, I could not find a SINGLE server with a ping under 100 (filtering empty servers). Ridiculous.

I don't know how you could play with such a connection, seriously... I'm so glad I have my new connection now, even if I don't play UT2004 anymore.

I honestly just hope it'll have a better net code than UT2004. UT2004 = unplayable with a ping above 100, IMO. Some can't even play with a ping above 50..
    for 4 years i played counter strike with a ping on average of 500, 400 on a good day, and i still got number one lots of times on the board at the end of the game....so really if u have skill the connection isn't that big of a deal, yes it matters, but 50 and 100 pings are like nothing...
    btw i think a 256kps will do, thats what dsl so i pretty sure they'll get it too u with that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah connection speed only makes a difference if the server is sending to you quicker, also distance is a huge factor. Here in aus I usually play on East coast servers from the West coast so thats a huge distance usually 80-120 pings are what I get. Thing is going from 512/128 to 8000/384 did nothing for my ping, well perhaps alittle for consistency.

Im willing to bet it's going to cost a mint to run a UT3 server not just because of the power you'd need to run 64 player matches but also the upload/download rate of the server

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just an FYI, when I ran a UT server a few years at a place that I worked, I had a modem and dialed into the same building where the server was located. The phone rack was upstairs from my office.

Cool thing was, I got DSL-like latency since there were literally 4 hops between my PC and the server that I connected to.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    >You can run UT2004 on a 5Kb line and you'd probably still be fine although I don't know about huge ONS games, it's all about how your routed and the quality of the connections. And no one who wants to game should get satellite, your ping will be worse than people on dial-up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am still on 56k, really my speeds run at 24000. Still in the boonies and no solutions in sight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X