Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum Internet Connection Reqd for UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jake-SF View Post
    Enough???

My old connection... I don't remember how good it was, but my max download speed was 300 kb/sec.

I live in Canada, and in UT2004, I could not find a SINGLE server with a ping under 100 (filtering empty servers). Ridiculous.

I don't know how you could play with such a connection, seriously... I'm so glad I have my new connection now, even if I don't play UT2004 anymore.

I honestly just hope it'll have a better net code than UT2004. UT2004 = unplayable with a ping above 100, IMO. Some can't even play with a ping above 50..
    WTF? I've played on canadian servers before and has less than 100ms ping and I'm in the UK. in fact I get <100ms to a lot of the american servers, on UK servers I get 10 - 20ms and european around 20 - 40ms. I'm on bog standard ntl residential cable broadband (10meg).

I always presumed us people in the UK on NTL got **** internet but as far as pings go it would appear we are getting a very good service when compared to the americans. I know here in the UK if you complain to NTL about bad pings they will reroute your connection for better performance.

When I first signed up to my internet I complained because I was getting >80ms to lowlifescum and they routed me through a different UBR.

If I was you jake, I would speak to your service provider you should at the very least be getting <40ms to servers in your own country and the USA.

Comment

Guess my ISP just sucks.

Too bad, 'cause the one I switched from sucked worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Shagwell View Post
        WTF? I've played on canadian servers before and has less than 100ms ping and I'm in the UK. in fact I get <100ms to a lot of the american servers, on UK servers I get 10 - 20ms and european around 20 - 40ms. I'm on bog standard ntl residential cable broadband (10meg).

I always presumed us people in the UK on NTL got **** internet but as far as pings go it would appear we are getting a very good service when compared to the americans. I know here in the UK if you complain to NTL about bad pings they will reroute your connection for better performance.

When I first signed up to my internet I complained because I was getting >80ms to lowlifescum and they routed me through a different UBR.

If I was you jake, I would speak to your service provider you should at the very least be getting <40ms to servers in your own country and the USA.
        You think 10mb/s is **** internet?

Comment

euros are all elitists when it comes to ping. If it's above 18-24ms it's ****

Comment

Originally posted by Xenocide View Post
            You think 10mb/s is **** internet?
            no, not at all im just being modest, 10mb is good internet, the average internet here is probably 8mb, but in the UK people are very big on pings, NTL have always been really good at keeping our pings low. I'm not sure what BT is like as I've never used ADSL.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Shagwell View Post

That was on my old connection.

The one I have now is all fine.

Comment

ive no problem with playing against (or with) countries playing with less than perfect internet, but now and then it would be great to only play with people who have high speed internet. I have 10 mbps (but i make up for it with crappy cable) and would like to be able to make the most of it. however, i know it's possible to have a fine game against dial-up users, so I'd be fine (even excited about) playing against people from countries like India. Especially if they speak english, because it's always interesting to learn about other countries. In the worst case you could try and find some locals to play lan against.

Comment

There is only one thing I'll be sad about when I move from here.. that I'll have to give up my 100mbit fibreoptic line.

Comment

I am still on 56k, really my speeds run at 24000. Still in the boonies and no solutions in sight.

Comment

>You can run UT2004 on a 5Kb line and you'd probably still be fine although I don't know about huge ONS games, it's all about how your routed and the quality of the connections. And no one who wants to game should get satellite, your ping will be worse than people on dial-up.

Comment

Just an FYI, when I ran a UT server a few years at a place that I worked, I had a modem and dialed into the same building where the server was located. The phone rack was upstairs from my office.

Cool thing was, I got DSL-like latency since there were literally 4 hops between my PC and the server that I connected to.

Comment

Yeah connection speed only makes a difference if the server is sending to you quicker, also distance is a huge factor. Here in aus I usually play on East coast servers from the West coast so thats a huge distance usually 80-120 pings are what I get. Thing is going from 512/128 to 8000/384 did nothing for my ping, well perhaps alittle for consistency.

Im willing to bet it's going to cost a mint to run a UT3 server not just because of the power you'd need to run 64 player matches but also the upload/download rate of the server

Comment

Originally posted by Jake-SF View Post
                            Enough???

My old connection... I don't remember how good it was, but my max download speed was 300 kb/sec.

I live in Canada, and in UT2004, I could not find a SINGLE server with a ping under 100 (filtering empty servers). Ridiculous.

I don't know how you could play with such a connection, seriously... I'm so glad I have my new connection now, even if I don't play UT2004 anymore.

I honestly just hope it'll have a better net code than UT2004. UT2004 = unplayable with a ping above 100, IMO. Some can't even play with a ping above 50..
                            for 4 years i played counter strike with a ping on average of 500, 400 on a good day, and i still got number one lots of times on the board at the end of the game....so really if u have skill the connection isn't that big of a deal, yes it matters, but 50 and 100 pings are like nothing...
                            btw i think a 256kps will do, thats what dsl so i pretty sure they'll get it too u with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Defeat View Post
                              >You can run UT2004 on a 5Kb line and you'd probably still be fine although I don't know about huge ONS games, it's all about how your routed and the quality of the connections. And no one who wants to game should get satellite, your ping will be worse than people on dial-up.
                              yes satellite may say it has a 2 mb download connection and 512 upload, but thats not taking in count physics, it will still be like a 2 second lag to shoot a bullet...trust me, i had it once. its good for MMo's tho just not shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by LibertySaint View Post
                                for 4 years i played counter strike with a ping on average of 500, 400 on a good day, and i still got number one lots of times on the board at the end of the game....so really if u have skill the connection isn't that big of a deal, yes it matters, but 50 and 100 pings are like nothing...
                                btw i think a 256kps will do, thats what dsl so i pretty sure they'll get it too u with that.
                                Umm, obviously ping plays much more of a role in a game where there is constant ultra fast paced action compared to one where people sit behind crates picking their noses.

Comment

Working...
                                X