Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum Internet Connection Reqd for UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edmonton, the capital (in name only).

I'm lucky to find a server with a ping under 100, let alone a populated one playing a gametype I actually want to play.

As such, I play a lot of Instant Action.

I'd rent a server, but there's no guarantee that I'd get a better ping as I have yet to find a reputable company in western Canada.

Comment

Well, at least single player should be much more fun in UT3! I'm actually looking forward to the idea of NOT playing online for once. lol.

Comment

i dk but i wish every 1 could get good ping :|, cus i had over 200 ping for over 1 year, then i got dsl still had 120, then better dsl and now 60 to 100 ping, i dk but is there a way to make pings reasonable for every 1 ? they have 2 invent something 2 make ping's better other than the killer K1, i dk like a type of modem or something so every 1 can get good ping :|, or a program that imrpoves upload speed or something i dk, i just hate bad ping, well every 1 does

Comment

I live in the Northwest US, and it's difficult to find a server with good ping that's populated. NY and SoCal are a little too far, where my ping would be around 130. Chicago works for me more often.

But it may all boil down to popularity really. Since 2K4 has died down much, there just aren't servers out there. Once UT3 is out, you may find loads of available servers to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutal View Post
            i dk but i wish every 1 could get good ping :|, cus i had over 200 ping for over 1 year, then i got dsl still had 120, then better dsl and now 60 to 100 ping, i dk but is there a way to make pings reasonable for every 1 ? they have 2 invent something 2 make ping's better other than the killer K1, i dk like a type of modem or something so every 1 can get good ping :|, or a program that imrpoves upload speed or something i dk, i just hate bad ping, well every 1 does
            All we need is a system that will detect network congestion and reroute our traffic through other hubs, thus always giving us the most optimal ping possible for the distance.

P.S. stop saying "I dk" ffs.

Comment

Just waiting for one of the admins to clarify and give some details about the UT3 internet connectivity- if anything new

and theres no fun without online play, just something different about going against different skilled players in ons &/or warfare--ultimate stuff epic!

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                NY City is 3261 kilometers (2026 miles) away. Now, I don't know what factors have the greatest impact on ping, but distance seems to me to be one of them.

LA is 2174 kilometers (1351 miles) away.
                speed of light: 300000 km/s AFAIK
                => 10 ms ping for NY, distance wise, about twice the time a TFT screen needs to react

so hmm, it more depends on the number of hubs between you and the server than the distance

Comment

It depends on a lot more than that. Just one example: If copper wiring is of poor quality, it will cause packet loss and higher pings. Many older homes are improperly wired.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                    It depends on a lot more than that. Just one example: If copper wiring is of poor quality, it will cause packet loss and higher pings. Many older homes are improperly wired.
                    hm okay true, but taking into calculation only the distance, considering there IS a fibreoptic cable, which there is, i suppose , that doesnt make much of a difference

Comment

Is there any difference in pings concerning dsl or cable? I'm under the impression that with cable your ping varies a lot and can get really high, but with dsl your ping stays constant. How true is this? I'm thinking about getting cable, but I want a steady ping.

Comment

Perhaps it is more true of cable than DSL, but pings can vary and become high with DSL also. Actually this affects any kind of connection, but the more variables you eliminate the steadier your connection will be. If you're concerned about traffic congestion that is typical of cable, then go DSL as I believe most ping inconsistency with DSL comes from nationwide traffic, rather than at the ISP level. Obviously fibreoptic is even more desireable if it's available in your area.

Comment

My only options are 768 kb/s DSL (what I have currently), or Comcast cable.

Comment

ping tells u how long ur request took to get to the server and get back to you. it has other purposes as well.

Anyways, most games should work fine on 1MBitps connection. Some games work fine even on 128/256KBitps connection.

You need a lot of bandwidth if your gonna be host, coz many people are gonna connect to your computer and hence u must have the capacity to handle their requests. Even voice chat requires a slight bit of b/w if i'm not wrong.

pings u get depend on several factors like distance from host, route taken to get to host, distance from exchange (if applicable), line quality, noise, interference, protocol used, technology being used - ADSL, Naked DSL, dial-up (lol), satellite link (OMG), nature of the n/w etc.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos_theory View Post
                              so hmm, it more depends on the number of hubs between you and the server than the distance
                              There is, one would assume, a correlation between the distance between two locations and the number of hubs between said locations.

Comment

Generally you deal with about 1-2 per country enroute to the destination, at least in Europe. I would imagine that in the US and Canada, it's a great deal more.

Comment

Working...
                                X