Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum Internet Connection Reqd for UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum Internet Connection Reqd for UT3?

Hey guys, I was wondering whats the minimum internet connection required to play UT3 online. This is for the players that do not have 6mbps or 4 mbps connections, since some countries are limited in bandwidth. I have 256kbps connection right now ( Dload rate and uprate vary between 25KB's and 29KB's), is that enough or do i need to wait until i get back to canada, which could be a while

That's probably enough, if you don't care about custom maps. What country are you in. I'd be more concerned about finding good servers in your ping range.

Comment

In India, at the moment, looks like I'm gonna be here until the new year but dont want to miss out on UT3, hmm ..pings, isnt the "all seeing eye" another browser helpful in a "pingy" kinda situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
        That's probably enough, if you don't care about custom maps. What country are you in. I'd be more concerned about finding good servers in your ping range.
        Enough???

My old connection... I don't remember how good it was, but my max download speed was 300 kb/sec.

I live in Canada, and in UT2004, I could not find a SINGLE server with a ping under 100 (filtering empty servers). Ridiculous.

I don't know how you could play with such a connection, seriously... I'm so glad I have my new connection now, even if I don't play UT2004 anymore.

I honestly just hope it'll have a better net code than UT2004. UT2004 = unplayable with a ping above 100, IMO. Some can't even play with a ping above 50..

Comment

Jake S/F

I had a 6mbps rogers connection in toronto, while playing UT2004 (ons) most of the servers were f****d, but I dont think it was the connection there, I think it was the cheats mostly, I do remember this one time when rogers downgraded my connection to a ultra-lite version, 19KB's/sec d load, and guess what? I hardly noticed any **** difference and on many occasions I had no problems while playing ons.

Comment

I'd be more concerned about finding good servers in your ping range.
            I'm in Canada, and I have a hard time finding a server playing something I like.

Comment

Jake: Your ping wasn't due to your connection speed, but more likely network/line quality, & a variety of other factors. I know for a fact you should be able to ping to plenty of US servers with a ping of 40-60, even with a lower end DSL connection.

JaTT: how do you mean.. a browser isn't going to help your ping. The only way you will get a good ping is if there are servers in countries near India and the networks are reliable.

But I have managed to play on servers far away from me and still enjoy myself, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Comment

Hmm, strange that all you Canadian players are complaining.. should be plenty of NY area servers you ping well to. or Cali if you're nearer to there.

I lived in northern Ontario til 2004 before I moved to Sweden. Never had probs with finding servers with good ping. But, that was UT1.

Comment

JaTT: how do you mean.. a browser isn't going to help your ping. The only way you will get a good ping is if there are servers in countries near India and the networks are reliable.

But I have managed to play on servers far away from me and still enjoy myself, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Yea man, I seriously hope I'll be able to ping to servers in the Europe and the U.S, coz I dont think The Taliban in afghanistan & pakistan are likely to play UT3 since those are the only neighboring countries

Comment

Originally posted by Jake-SF View Post
                    Enough???

My old connection... I don't remember how good it was, but my max download speed was 300 kb/sec.

I live in Canada, and in UT2004, I could not find a SINGLE server with a ping under 100 (filtering empty servers). Ridiculous.

I don't know how you could play with such a connection, seriously... I'm so glad I have my new connection now, even if I don't play UT2004 anymore.

I honestly just hope it'll have a better net code than UT2004. UT2004 = unplayable with a ping above 100, IMO. Some can't even play with a ping above 50..
                    rofl download speed has nothing to do with ping, I use to play ut2004 on my isdn (8 kb/s) with about 50 ping...
                    no idea on how much bandwidth ut3 requires, but it sure varies in relation to the number of players on the server as in ut2004 does
                    anyway you can always lower your netspeed to make it fit your bandwidth, but I definitely think 256KB would be enough (unless you are playing a 64vs64 warfare :P)

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok-LuR- View Post
                      rofl download speed has nothing to do with ping, I use to play ut2004 on my isdn (8 kb/s) with about 50 ping...
                      no idea on how much bandwidth ut3 requires, but it sure varies in relation to the number of players on the server as in ut2004 does
                      anyway you can always lower your netspeed to make it fit your bandwidth, but I definitely think 256KB would be enough (unless you are playing a 64vs64 warfare :P)
                      this is what I was trying to say

Comment

Hmm, strange that all you Canadian players are complaining.. should be plenty of NY area servers you ping well to.
                        NY City is 3261 kilometers (2026 miles) away. Now, I don't know what factors have the greatest impact on ping, but distance seems to me to be one of them.

LA is 2174 kilometers (1351 miles) away.

Comment

Was just to compare his download speed and mine, to what my connection was, since I don't remember. I think it was 1mb.

But yeah I guess my connection just sucked, sympatico = ****... Anyway, I'm surprised with something so slow as you have you can have a low ping, I was sure UT2004 sent and received much more information than that. Guess I was completely wrong.

Comment

As people are saying, connection speed isn't really a factor in ping when over a certain speed, it's more about distance from my experience. I haven't had a noticeable ping difference with my connection changing between 512kb/2mb/4mb, while playing UT2004.

Comment

Mort: Where exactly in Alberta do you live..
                              I guess it is very dependent on what region of Canada you are in.. Sudbury is only 700 miles from NY city.. which isn't bad at all.

California should still be very acceptable pingwise for you, as it is about the same as between me and London UK right now, and I can ping in the 50's to UK.

Comment

Working...
                              X