New gaming machine for UT3 (5k budget)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gaming machine for UT3 (5k budget)

Thanks for some great feedback, after reading it over several times, I now came up with this system.

ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard - Retail $299.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail $299.99

COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail $239.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX - Retail $148.00

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $194.99

SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail $319.99

BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSOCE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $399.99

ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and 14X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model DRW-1814BLT - Retail $35.99

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM - OEM $18.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate DVD - Retail $339.99

Unreal Tournament 3 - Retail $59.99

Subtotal: $2,357.90

Already bought:

Antec Neo550, Logitech G15, Logitech G5

I figured I might as well go with striker MB and 8800 GTS for now. Then at some point when 9x come out I can just buy two of those and do SLI. Running one card on SLI mb is not going to mess anything up right?
    I took at some other MBs that were suggested (P5K series) and they are only like 20$ cheaper, so I figured I might as well go with striker, no?
    Also I dont plan to actually purchasing most of this stuff until like 2 weeks prior to UT release heh, so who knows I might end up getting next version right away.

I'm still not entire sure about the case. CoolerMaster one I have up there seemed pretty good. I suppose you cant really be 100% sure until you try it with cases. Only issue I can think of right now is that it only comes with 2 Fans, which means I would have to buy several more?

For storage most people seemed to suggest single raptor plus another drive to store media on. Is buying another raptor to do raid0 really not worth it?

That samsung monitor seems like pretty good choice. But as I said in original thread, for this piece of hardware I really want top performance. I care very little for saving money when it comes to a monitor.

Couple people mentioned power supply not being able to handle my system. I think it's enough for current setup, no? Cutting it too close? But I guess I will have to upgrade once I go SLI? Or should I just buy more powerful one right now?

Personnally I'd go with the gtx, and swap the M2N-E and FX-62 for a P5K deluxe and a quad core intel.

Comment

I personally think that right now, the Intel Core 2 Duo's and Quadcores are a smarter choice than AMD..

I'm using an Acer AL2216W right now at 1680x1050, and it is very nice. Very crisp display, great colors, and responsive. Not that expensive either. Don't mistake higher price for equally higher quality. They're not that proportional in all cases.

Comment

hi terror

At first would say to you that an athlon x64 processor is a bit too dated to buy in a new computer, i would suggest the E6600 or E6700 dual core processor. a 8800GTS might be a good choice if you have a low budget. but as you can spend 5000 dollars if it is needed, i would suggest you take
        an 8800GTX card, i have this system and i played bioshock and the medal of honour airborne demo with it, this games also run on unreal engine 3, i can run evrything very well. on highest settings without frame drops.
        maybe it is even better for you to wait till the new 9000 series arive. for even better performance for the same price. maybe its also a good idea to look in the future and take a motherboard with SLI in it. i would not take a quad core as games does not benefit from it the upcoming time.and atm the dual cores are superior in performance to the quads for the rest i think your pc looks great
        good luck with it!

best regards
        me

Comment

Read up on what you excactly need before you purchase anything.
          I build my rig with customisation and upgrading in mind.
          Bought one GTX and i'll get another one when the price is right.
          My Motherboard will accept the newest processors so i bought a Intel E6600 for now and wil upgrade it for a faster one if neccasary and put the E6600 in a new rig for my music studio.
          Not badmouthing AMD here, but it's been proven that they just cannot keep up with the Intel proccesors so my advice to you would be to get a quality Motherboard with multiple PIC-Express slots and at least a Intel Dual Core processor and one GTX8800.
          I've spent 2200 Euro's on my rig sofar so that's well within your budget and will run most next-gen games.

Comment

Originally posted by aidanr View Post
            Personnally I'd go with the gtx, and swap the M2N-E and FX-62 for a P5K deluxe and a quad core intel.
            Why? A Core 2 duo would be nice, but quad isn't going to give much better performance and the 640Mb GTS is good enough. He has a budget, so just saying "take the best there is on the market" isn't really helpful lol.

Comment

Being an AMD fan for years, I was never switching to Intel, until I seen the DUO processors. I havn't looked back, since I can get 3.6Ghz out of a 2.4Ghz processor on stock cooling. AMD just hasn't got anything to compete price wise and speed wise.

Just for your reference:

Intel E6600 2.4Ghz @ 3.6Ghz
              ASUS Commando Mobo @ 400Mhz FSB

I havn't seen any AMD stuff that can do that, and they havn't got plans as of yet to compete with the DUOs and Intel will be releasing a new lower powered processor soon (45nm), so they will run cooler and the DUOs will drop in price.

I say go with Intel DUO, you'll be much happier.

Comment

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
                Why? A Core 2 duo would be nice, but quad isn't going to give much better performance and the 640Mb GTS is good enough. He has a budget, so just saying "take the best there is on the market" isn't really helpful lol.
                but if you're gonna pay the $$$... might as well get more out of it...

a Q6600 is what... $266?

UT3 engines will benefit from the 3rd and 4th core... maybe not as much as going from single to dual... but i think it's worth it... at this price point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                  I personally think that right now, the Intel Core 2 Duo's and Quadcores are a smarter choice than AMD..

I'm using an Acer AL2216W right now at 1680x1050, and it is very nice. Very crisp display, great colors, and responsive. Not that expensive either. Don't mistake higher price for equally higher quality. They're not that proportional in all cases.
                  bersy u ******* ur using the same monitor as me.

But anyways yeah i would go quad core and pick up a Asus striker extreme motherboard. 4 gigs of ram, and nothing less then a 8800gtx graphics card. You have the budget and those are well within it.

yeah the acer al2216 is a good monitor for the price. me and bersy use it

Comment

Yeah, if Karma uses it how can you go wrong? he's never wrong.

Comment

stfu, i am wrong sometimes. we all are. But its still not a bad monitor and obviously you agree. You quoted it first anyways, so its your credit

Comment

Where?$

Originally posted by Goobers View Post
                        a Q6600 is what... $266?
                        Where is it @ that price?!?!? I can't find it for less than $280+!

Intentsly

Comment

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
                          He has a budget, so just saying "take the best there is on the market" isn't really helpful lol.
                          Yeah a fairly large budget, he can well afford what I suggested.

Comment

Q6600 (quad-core) = $300
                            8800gtx ($500, only buy one, and buy the 9800gtx when it comes out at the end of the year, sell the 8800gtx to recoupe the cost)
                            Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi (or another one that's good at overclocking)
                            4gb RAM
                            Windows Vista 64-bit
                            X-fi sound card
                            Coolermaster Stacker or Lian-Li case.

one 750gb westeren digital HDD ($200) and one raptor (150 or 74).

etc.

Comment

With all this talk of Duo vs Quad and overclocking... And the fact that you can easily overclock the Q6600 beyond 3.2GHz, why is a duo a better choice?

Comment

Working...
                              X