New Netcode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Netcode?

Hey sorry if this has already been discussed but I don't wanna go through all of these topics. Was wondering how is the new netcode for UT3, I was told by some ppl that it will be good enough to calculate who got the shot off first instead of which packets were received first, making low ping irrelevant. Not sure where they got this info from but it sounds sort of like what the UTCOMP mod does for 2k4. Trouble is that was third party released, can we expect something like that to ship with the finished game?

IIRC its just improved UT2004 netcode, but optimized also. Cant remember any details.

Comment

I REALLY hope there's nothing UTComp Newnet-like.
      And yes, it has been discussed a lot. It may seem daunting, but use the search anyway if you want a good idea of the pros and cons.
      I think currently Epic haven't said anything about the exact nature of the netcode in UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
        I think currently Epic haven't said anything about the exact nature of the netcode in UT3.
        This is the reason which many high-ping players are worried.

Comment

It uses a brand new technology. So new it hasn't even been invented yet. What it allows you to do is see what's happening, before it even happens. I can't wait...!

Nah.. nothing's been announced. But I don't really think it is just UT2004 netcode, for one thing it has to deal with a lot more complex stuff happening in game. So I think it has been re-coded from the ground up. Could be wrong, but I'm not. Or maybe I am. We'll just have to see. Or wait for Tim Sweeney to tell us.

Comment

Well obviously it's been recoded from scratch and can do more than UT2004's netcode, but the principles and design goals might be the same nonetheless.

Comment

Yea I know, just saying if it were me, I would want to improve on the flaws of the UT2004 netcode - for instance a big one was that there could be more connections on a server than there were players/specs/(and presumably admins).. it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see 25 slots taken when only 16 people total were there... no doubt there is some major corrolation between this and a lot of the server lag experiences people had in '04. And that is just an example.. They could have worked out better dynamic netcode, or changed how events are prioritized on very low netspeeds.. who knows, all I do know is there are always things that can be improved over the last gen and I am sure they know it too. If they want the Unreal Engine 3 to be state of the art, used by everything from FPS to MMORPG's, which they claim it can be, then netcode is a HUGE issue, one I would think they'd have addressed early on and made major changes to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                It uses a brand new technology. So new it hasn't even been invented yet. What it allows you to do is see what's happening, before it even happens. I can't wait...!
                It's the first netcode that allows for Negative Ping!

Comment

Exactly. And not only that, ping is now more dependent on your connection speed than the distance between client and server. They've changed the very laws and fabric of the interweb itself!

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                    Exactly. And not only that, ping is now more dependent on your connection speed than the distance between client and server. They've changed the very laws and fabric of the interweb itself!
                    Could you explain better this point ? and this will be present in UT3´s netcode ?

Comment

lol. I was only joking.

But as you probably know, ping is dependent on hops (packets being relayed from server to server), and thus generally, distance.

Unless something fundamental changes, I have a hard time seeing what I described above happening anytime soon

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                        It's the first netcode that allows for Negative Ping!
                        ever played SoF2? i saw a clan there (6 years ago) with all negative ping. and players too, it was totally possible!

Comment

I'm using Negative Ping right now to play SoF2 with them, way back when! It's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                            I'm using Negative Ping right now to play SoF2 with them, way back when! It's awesome!
                            Wait, you actually remember what buttons you have to press to make the past happen exactly as they remember it?
                            Better not screw this up, I kind of like our current present.

Comment

its its just getting packets, who cares who shot who first? wouldnt it only be off by like 40 milliseconds or something like that? correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X