Maxplayers for Mod developers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Actually you might need more not just for an MMO but a cooperative singleplayer game. See some modders might want to extend the bot AI which is already in there so having hard coded limits is rather frustrating. In 2k4 you could use the monster AI but thats rather thin when compared to the bot AI and it goes to the whole structure behind them. So in doing that epic makes it very hard for modders to break out of the multiplayer mold, I really hoping things will be different this time

Leave a comment:

• replied
    someone should set up a server tower. That would be so sweet XD A Hundred players on The Longest Yard with a 500 kill to win would be so awesome

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Over at the ps3 site, its says the following for online gaming.

"Up to 40 simultaneous online players."

Is that true?

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Network/OnlineGaming

Leave a comment:

• replied
    what about a huge map, everyone is assigned a weapon, and u can only get new ones from fallen comrades/foes. Once you die you're out, and its 2 teams. It'd be war, instead of 'warfare'. Of course, for a war this big, you'd need STACKS of servers. Be pretty cool tho, especially for the frontline, just the sight of it from the front would be wicked awesome.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by musilowski View Post
    Yummy. 128 player warfare on a nationsized map...
    that would be Unreal

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Worlock View Post
    All UT games up until now have had a hardcoded limit of 32. One of the Epic guys said clearly in an interview that UT3 would have no hard limit, only limited by your server hardware (which I would imagine is still going to be a pretty effective limit, given what 32p ONS did to hardware in 2k4)
    Hey I guess your right - an Interview with Jeff Morris on 17th Jul 2007
    On the PC for multiple if you have the pipe for network and the quad core processor you can do 64 players. There's no hard limit on the player count on the PC. On the console we'll probably limit to what ever the map supports, 24 at the high end but we are still fussing around with it.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...1&postcount=10

Thats what I get for not searching BU aswell. Looks like I was paranoid for nothing; Can't wait! ^^

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yummy. 128 player warfare on a nationsized map...

Well in a few years at earliest.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    All UT games up until now have had a hardcoded limit of 32. One of the Epic guys said clearly in an interview that UT3 would have no hard limit, only limited by your server hardware (which I would imagine is still going to be a pretty effective limit, given what 32p ONS did to hardware in 2k4)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Didn't they say that 32 was the limit on the box, but you can build on that?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Last thing I read was that, for the PC, there is no encoded limit... if your server can handle it, more power to you.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Maxplayers for Mod developers?

Maxplayers for Mod developers?

UT2004 has a hard-coded max of 64 players (to my knowledge). Will UT3 Mod developers be able to set custom player limits with UScript?

Sure the question is loaded and your all thinking "The only game you need more then 64 players on one map is an MMO and no mod team can make an MMO. And you might be right; but wouldn't it be great to try? I can only imagine that UT3 would be a near-perfect place to feel out the avant-garde MMO/PW ideas that mainstream publishers shy away from. Ideas only a mod community can bring forth. The only real issue I envision will be latency. Let us see how far we can push it. Not all mods need to transfer all the data that stock UT3 gameplay does.

At worst the teams that attempt it fail. Would that injure Epic's image? I don't think so. If anything I think it would spread UT3 publicity by word of mouth in circles outside of Epic's fan base. At best... we might see some of the great ideas floating around come to fruitation. I'd have fun working on it regardless and I doubt I'm alone.
Working...
X