Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Onslaught vs. Assault - Is WarFare what you hoped for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onslaught vs. Assault - Is WarFare what you hoped for?

I think to say WarFare ist partially Assault, is not right. Assault is not just about transporting, attacking and defending. It is about the logical connection between variations of these tasks to tell a small "story".

In fact WarFare is really not a new GameType.
    The same way I could suggest a GameMode called WarMatch, which is DeathMatch with optional objectives to kill a specific player.

WarFare has nothing of that Assault charme, but as I have seen on that new 7min presentation, it is absolutely a big improvement of Onslaught and worth to try out, even if I did not like ONS. But I still fear that the 13 Maps do not have much variation other than different landscapes and node positions. I hope there are many (partially) indoor-based maps.

What do you guys thing, have you been looking forward to a more tactical Assault mode or did you expect something like it?

hmm im looking forward to it definately, because i really liked both ONS and AS, and as was mentioned many times before, mappers ARE still able to do normal AS maps without much effort thanks to the modifyability of the new WF mode, so we wont miss anything
    only con would be that you dont get any AS maps out of the box

Comment

The Warfare map we've seen either doesn't have AS-like side objectives, or they were disabled with that Link Design (I'm speculating that this is possible).

What we saw and read about were five minute trials with a two minute introduction. They chose something more ONS-like for practical reasons.

I'm confident that the bigger maps (or other Link Designs) will have more AS-like features.

That said, I won't miss AS (or ONS for that matter) either way.

Warfare is more than I imagined. I can see the XMP influence. I'm stoked.

Comment

yeah i think that they wont implement too much of the new functions into the demo map (thats what WF-Torlan_Necris is gonna be probably) but will wait for the full release to come up with a whole bunch of improvements

Comment

I hope they'll make some assault99-like maps without orb and vehicles.

Comment

I am really looking forward to warfare ALOT, but will still miss assault

Comment

Originally posted by Gex View Post
              I recall reading that there is a WAR map without vehicles, but I don't know about without the Orbs.

I can't remember where I read that though. [edit] Nor can I find it here using the Search function. Perhaps it was just another forum members wishful thinking? Anyway... they'll get made. [/edit]

However...

BeyondUnreal Interviews: Steve Polge

BU: Has Onslaught been combined with Warfare to create a single gametype?

SP: There is no longer a separate Onslaught game type. Warfare combines the Onslaught and Assault game types from past Unreal Tournaments, with nodes and the PowerCore providing an overall strategic flow while special objectives and the orb provide unique missions within the match. With the flexible warfare objective system, level designers can create levels that play like classic Onslaught or classic Assault. The orb system has gone through a lot of iteration, and we’re really excited about the game play mechanics we’ve settled on for the orb. We no longer have separate “conduit” objectives. Each team has a single orb, and the orb can be delivered to a node to instantly capture it, or defensively used to lock down and shield a node. This has proved to work very well in practice, allowing rapid coordinated counterattacks as well as the ability to really defend a critical node effectively. Playing as an orb runner allows you to be a hero, and gives you the same kind of adrenaline rush as making a flag run in CTF.
              ... there will be classic Assault maps made fairly quickly I'd imagine, especially if it's true that it can be done without modding.

Comment

wow thats exciting cool, like in the settings u can change in the WarFare mode between oldschool Onslaught or Assault,...even though ill probably play the new gametype with the orb and sideobjectives more often cos that sounds sweet as

Comment

Originally posted by Gex View Post
                  and without super-retarded weapons and the ability to LAUNCH.

Comment

if the orb can immediatly destroy or build a node, then screw any mode with it. if a good player gets the orb, game over. And imo, some of the vehicles looked like ****. our game looks to have become and enterprise.

Comment

I never liked ONS but WAR looks great , I'm disappointed to hear "road rage"?"vehicle manslaughter" is back.. that's so dumb ... I don't wana hear that or dare devil announcements .

Comment

To me, Warfare seems to be more like an enhanced Onslaught, but as Xyx pointed out in another thread, it's possible to make an Assault-like map using the Warfare system.

Comment

IMHO, Warfare (together with the Kismet System) offers a great variety of things that can be done. Xyx pointed out a few things already.

But personally I am satisfied with what Warfare offers (with the knowledge from the map I played): Enhanced Onslaught.

Comment

Also it might be possible to make some maps without the Orbs themselves, thus making the map play more like traditional ONS. Perhaps we might even see a No Orb mutator.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos_theory View Post
                              mappers ARE still able to do normal AS maps without much effort thanks to the modifyability of the new WF mode
                              Seeing is believing.

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                              as Xyx pointed out in another thread, it's possible to make an Assault-like map using the Warfare system.
                              I did? I listed a few ways in which Warfare improves on Onslaught... and I'm pretty sure the "side objectives", unlinked nodes and pre-built nodes can be left out... but Assault? I'll believe that when I see it.

Originally posted by bazzwano View Post
                              I'm disappointed to hear "road rage"?"vehicle manslaughter" is back.. that's so dumb
                              Are you kidding? That stuff is teh shiznit!

Comment

Working...
                              X