Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

I also played the "Tornado" Level.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also played the "Tornado" Level.

Sorry if this (or infos from this post) has been posted before. I just came back from my second visit to the GC @ Leipzig and am really tired, so I do not want to search through all posts since friday. I made a seperate thread, because the other thread was mainly about Warafre, vehicles and ONS.

I didn't play the Warfare level again, as I had to wait over one hour for it.

BUT.

Somewhere in the farest corner of the GC was the PhysX booth and you could play the "Tornado" level without having to wait. (No age-restriction, no waiting in line, no opponets, just testing the UT mechanics)

To all those who want to know about the Tornado and PhysX performance and stuff... ...sorry, for me the tornado was unimportant. I tried to look for as much info on general gameplay as possible.

Keep in mind that this was actually a mod and a custom level, that is not in the final game. But I think most of the gameplay stuff was unchanged.

Let's start with the thing that was changed:
    -Link Gun secondary was a straight beam, which IMHO still is much, much, much better than the bent beam. I think it was changed, because you could throw around barrels and crates with it.

I started in the menues and was able to navigate through various pages.
    The functionality seems much more console-like than UT2k3. Nothing remotely close to UWindows or even Ut2k4.
    The menues may change because some transparent overlays were actually still the bubbly default texture you get, when you for example substract BSP and haven't got assigned a texture/material yet.
    And the menues were so complicated to navigate that I accidentally got the level started and needed to help my neighbour to start a match.
    This will probably change, otherwise the community will be very small.

I had chosen "Instant Action" with numerous gametypes. (LAN play wasn't available) But I always landed in the Tornado level.

I started against 4 bots which I was able to see very well. But only for about 3.5 seconds... ...then I died, because the mouse sensitivity was insanly high*, had strong acceleration and the framerate dropped often (due to an unnecessary Tornado flying by, but Warmonger was worse, that played at 1 fps constantly (at the PHysiX booth(!!!!!))). So I disabled the bots and played with myself (just like always have to ).

This is what I was able to test in a DM map (no opponents 15 minutes time):

- Movement is fast enough (normal running).
    - The second jump in a double jump seems not that high as in UT2k4
    - The normal dodge seems slower and further than in the original UT (a bit more floaty than in UT but not as floaty as a dodge-jump in UT2k4)
    - The walldoge is long enough to be useful but not as far as in UT2k4.
    (- I didn't find anything in that map to test a ramp dodge)
    + The Sniper looks and feels great:
    - The tracer isn't as huge as it seemed in the trailer.
    - The tracer's front is instant hit, the end is moving. IMHO the perfect solution as it doesn't thow off your aim but still looks like a projectile
    - ROF is lower than in UT; it is much closer to the LG.
    + The enforcer (only was able to get one) is OK.
    - It uses tracers similar to the Sniper (front: instant, rear: moving)
    - secondary fire felt useless (3 bullet burst) and weak. I prefer the gangsta-style
    + Rocket Launcher is well designed and it works like in Xyx's muator.
    - A little word is written beneath the crosshair telling you which mode you are in ("grenades", "spiral", etc...).
    - The grenades don't bounce aroud as much as the ones from the AR but explode earlier.
    - The grenades' spread isn't that wide which IMHO is a good thing: you need to aim a little.
    + Hammer Jumping worked fine and gave me reasonable height. It looks and feels much better than the Shield.
    -Hammer secondary shoots some white stuff... ...it's that EMP thing... ..but no vehicles in that map.
    (-When I wanted to check how much damage I take when Hammer Jumping I was caught by the Tornado and went on with other weapons :/ )
    - The Armor Vest and Shield Belt pickups look really nice and are displayed just as in UT in the HUD when you wear them.
    - I also can confirm that the link primary has a good ROF and projectile speed. It seems useful.
    Sorry, I didn't find the Flak, Shock and other weapons in that map although I spent some minutes searching for them.

Again: I might have forgotten some infos, that I will post later when I remeber them.

*) Somebody need to tell the game-devs and game-publishers that at a Games Convention you might happen to have GAMERS playing the games. And these gamers aren't used to a mouse-speed that makes you turn 360 degrees when moving the mouse 0.5 centimeters. This sensitivity might work well to to click on a Word document at the other side on your Apple cinema dsiplay but certainly isn't appropriate for games.Why not give it a medium sensitivity

that answers alot to me, nice post

Comment

Game menus section got me really worried. I hope this is just a placeholder frontend :-/

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
        So I disabled the bots and played with myself (just like always have to ).
        TMI and I need to write more just to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Raynor View Post
          Game menus section got me really worried. I hope this is just a placeholder frontend :-/
          I assume it will be quite close. But the one I played was even buggy.

Comment

Thanks again. Lots of good info.

Comment

Yes. Those two kinds of presentations got my hopes up hight for the game.

If I had more time I could have tested much, much more. For example: Somebody was able to play a CTF level when I watched over his shoulder, unfortunately he ended the match when he left. I didn't get it to start again (just as the one next to me wasn't able to start the game at all) although I tried. I tried to launch CTF, vCTF and Warfare, but always ended up in DM mode.

I could have tested the XLox and the Shock (which was colored red in CTF mode (probably for the red team)).

Comment

Thanks for posting Fueg... Some good info in there.

Can you comment on the weapon switch time? How does it relate to Ut99 / UT2k*?

Comment

Originally posted by BeerNut View Post
                  Thanks for posting Fueg... Some good info in there.

Can you comment on the weapon switch time? How does it relate to Ut99 / UT2k*?
                  Eeeeks. I knew I had forgotten something. (Shame on me) I always had to find the keys to switch between the few available weapons (and they were bound in an unusual way (numbers screwed)) and the mousewheel didn't work (of course not). So I was more busy trying to activate the Sniper* than watching the switch times.

*) Zoomed mode is fine too. No weird stuff covering your view like in the first version of the LG in UT2k3 .

Comment

Considering the fact that Entropy just stated a day or so ago that the Link Beam is still bent, I doubt this build is the latest version. But the info sure is most appreciated, fueg.

Comment

nice report thx.

what do you mean by "tracers-front is instant and end is moving" ?

Comment

Originally posted by GuntiNDDS View Post
                        what do you mean by "tracers-front is instant and end is moving" ?
                        see it like this:
                        The sniper, as we all know, is a hitscan weapon, thus, when you click, the target will instantly be hit +/- ping
                        The tracer, however, to not make it look like a beam/laser weapon, appears instantly, but its end (the end thats closer to you) moves to give it a bullet-ish look

hope that wasnt too confusing

Comment

Another attempt from a German trying to explain the tracer in English:

Imagine the tracer as a red line. When you fire, this line instantly has the length of the shot: It goes from the weapon to the target. Now the rear end moves from the gun to the target.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                            Another attempt from a German trying to explain the tracer in English:

Imagine the tracer as a red line. When you fire, this line instantly has the length of the shot: It goes from the weapon to the target. Now the rear end moves from the gun to the target.
                            yay i think yours was waay better to understand (hey ftw, mine was also a german attempt :P)

Comment

ah i see. thanks

you could have explained it to me in german aswell tho

Comment

Working...
                              X