Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT99 v. 2K movement, why not build off it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    UT isn't an acrobatics game. It's a game where you hunt for your enemies with your weapons, not a game where you keep trying to pull off impossible manuevers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like UT2004's movements, thats what makes it different. But I don't want it in UT3.

This is one reason to keep both games. UT2004's movements won't work well in UT3 I'm pretty sure, even if people make mutators for that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sometimes less is more.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Qft!

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
    Why does movement have to evolve with wild moves? You haven't thought it through, have you? The game is more grounded, the gravity a bit heavier I do believe. Makes for a newer style of gameplay.

This sounds like a "I want dodge jump back in the game" kinda complaint. First off, it is difficult to make certain judgments if you haven't actually played UT3. Secondly, the dodge jump being removed helps in making maps to a better scale. Lastly, what do think of simply adding in the "shoulder roll" in lieu of a dodge jump? Sure, it doesn't function the same, but it does add an evasive maneuver without breaking map scale.
    I don't know about the shoulder roll, but this has been rehashed burnt and ground up and burnt over and over again. There will be someone (or more) to make mutators to add all the funky moves anybody would want (more likely not) into the game again. That way those that want it can have their 2k4a.

Intentsly

Leave a comment:

• replied
    and since when exactly a more complicated movement means a better one?

UT2K4 movement was too complicated, not to master, but just "too much" if you know what i mean. for example, there is nothing more annoying then someone avoiding your most amazing airrox with a simple wall dodge, or "cheating" gravity by using wall dodge near the ground after a long fall and not getting any damage.

UT99 movement was enough for me, maybe the only thing that i dont like about UT3 is that they kept the wall dodges in.

The movement on UT2K4 makes the game too much dynamic and it dosent mean its good, just annoying. in UT99 you were more "grounded" and you could really feel the gravity that comprised a major part of the game, unlike UT2K4 that its like playing in a spacestation or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT is no melee fighting game or tactical shooter. More complex movement options are not necessarily better. If enough people want more complex movement, you can bet someone will make a mutator for it.

[edit]
    BTW: The dodge felt a bit longer than in UT/UT200x when I played Warfare at the Games convention today. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out the other movement options.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The shoulder roll actually sounds like a good idea. The only reason D-J is gone is because it made the effective ranges of non-hitscan weapons WAY too short.

More short-range dodge moves make non-hitscan still viable, while preserving interesting movement.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why does movement have to evolve with wild moves? You haven't thought it through, have you? The game is more grounded, the gravity a bit heavier I do believe. Makes for a newer style of gameplay.

This sounds like a "I want dodge jump back in the game" kinda complaint. First off, it is difficult to make certain judgments if you haven't actually played UT3. Secondly, the dodge jump being removed helps in making maps to a better scale. Lastly, what do think of simply adding in the "shoulder roll" in lieu of a dodge jump? Sure, it doesn't function the same, but it does add an evasive maneuver without breaking map scale.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic UT99 v. 2K movement, why not build off it?

UT99 v. 2K movement, why not build off it?

There have been countless blogs over the movement for UT3. I can see both sides, having played this franchise since the release of GOTY 99. However, the movement suggested so far by Epic about UT3 with the jumping and the dodging seems an awful lot like a step backwards in the development and evolution of the game.

I remember when a little game called Unreal 2 came out. The movement in this game used the UT99 style. I remember playing it, after the UT2k's, and I gotta say, there were countless times I would try to dodge jump and....of course, not be able to. I loved this game. All I'm saying is that "taking a step backward" is going to be extremely aggravating.

Shouldn't they continue with the evolution of the controls?

I think they should keep UT2K movement and add a shoulder roll to the already complex movement of the game. For instance, right right crouch does part of a dodge and then shoulder roll.

Because in the end, I think we all want the most freedom and choice over control in any gaming environment we play.
Working...
X