Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT99 v. 2K movement, why not build off it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by MuBashi View Post
    Because in the end, I think we all want the most freedom and choice over control in any gaming environment we play.
    unfortunately, there's a lot of people in this community that only likes it if there's no choice. namely, the UT99 nostalgics.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=- View Post
    Sometimes less is more.
    So say we all.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "Pixel Pusher" Hah! I don't know, but I always laugh when I see that in your sig..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Corner wall jumping:

"HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP!"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    OP should try UC2. There's more crazy evolution of movement there than you can squeeze into a pair of jump boots.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    evolution hit the 2kx movement, just like it hit the dodo.

it was retarded and it died.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by intentsly View Post
    I don't know about the shoulder roll, but this has been rehashed burnt and ground up and burnt over and over again. There will be someone (or more) to make mutators to add all the funky moves anybody would want (more likely not) into the game again. That way those that want it can have their 2k4a.

Intentsly
    I couldn't agree more. I was simply calling the OP on his own agenda. Not that the shoulder roll doesn't have a place in UT, but it just won't be as effective as it is in games such as Gears of War. As a matter of fact, the 'roll could actually have the opposite effect in UT3; it could get you fragged by splash damage.

All in all, I more or less agree with will, albeit my opinion is that more isn't always better.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT2k3/4 movement was fun, but the way i see it was that it allowed players to get away with lower hitscan accuracy. Someone with 20-25% shock could "perfect" their movement to allow them to evade otehr players. The UT99 style (ish) movement in UT3 is going to make the game more accuracy based IMO. If im remebering correctly from UT99 (and even Unreal itself) the DM was really accuracy controlled until very close range combat.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by StalwartUK View Post
    UT isn't an acrobatics game. It's a game where you hunt for your enemies with your weapons, not a game where you keep trying to pull off impossible manuevers.
    I agree. The UT1 movement was fine and never needed to be fixed or improved upon and I don't remember ever hearing complaints about it. My beef with the UT2 movement is that it makes the games feel too hitscanny and the shock combo doesn't feel as effective. The shock combo let a guy who wasn't a great hitscanner still compete since it was about predicting your opponents' movements and not hitscanning them as they floated through the air or bounced around.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Apathy View Post
    I What I just don't understand, is why they keep the double jump in?
    To activate AntiGrav Boots

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm actually quite happy to see UT3 without the dodge-jump. What I just don't understand, is why they keep the double jump in? I can see why the wall-dodge stays, but a double jump? I just don't get it lol.. Whatever though, as long as I don't feel like a 4ft midget running around, it's all good

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I guess majorty here agrees that more grounded close combat is better and more entertaining. UT still has more movement options when compared with other shooters and that's making it unique.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I started to be far more effective in UT2 when I abandoned the playing style of a FPS and started to treat it more like a flight simulator. I'm not being sarcastic, here.

FPS games are based on the concept of a plane of interaction, and when two players are on the same level, they generally stick more or less to that plane. Flight sims are based on being immersed in a medium that allows target traversal in three full axes. That's why modern flight sims have a view lock. Your view stays locked to the enemy, as your head tracks their position. The rest of the plane catches up and get into line as well as your maneuvering allows. UT2 plays far more like that.

UT2 movement was an interesting concept, but the idea that evolution is just a process of complexification is short sighted. Most "evolutionary changes" doom the organism. Only the successes stick around. The movement of UT2 wasn't helping the series, so it was ditched for the greater good.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=- View Post
    Sometimes less is more.
    I need more cowbell !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not doing to get into a bring back the dodgejump rant, It's gone and thats that.

I will say that most tactical shooters bore me to death with their clunky limited movement systems that encourage constant bunny hopping around the map as its the only practical way to avoid fire. I remain very far from convinced that less is more in this case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X