Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT99 v. 2K movement, why not build off it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In short ; (my own personal view) UT99 movement > UT2K movement.

Me like bunnyhopping

I never ever use doublejump or dodging myself, but i can see why others might want to use it.......... To escape me!

Comment

Originally posted by -Sephiroth- View Post
      I felt the movement in UT99 was very limited, and the movement in UT2kx a little exaggerated, so to develop on that movement system further, would be ridiculous in my opinion. I'm glad a hybrid movement system is being used, it will favour both of the UT generations, as well as taking the micro machines feel we have in UT2kx.
      Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner here. -Sephiroth- just owned this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by smantie View Post
        Why complicate things? Dodge jumping, wall jumping and all that crazy stuff just took away from the actual gameplay.
        Omg. That is the actual gameplay. The way I see it there are two parts of a person on person fight in UT: doing dammage and avoiding dammage. Doing dammage is just shoot your gun and hitting them. Avoiding dammage is moving out of the way of enemy fire. In UT2k4, there are many ways of doing this, such as predicting where they will shoot then moving quickly away from that predicted area or, when possible, moving out of the path of a projectile when you see it coming. This is how the process of acting and reacting begins and the fight builds off from there. If there's one thing I hate in shooters is limited movement. I hate seeing an attack coming, but not being able to avoid it. That's why i prefer UT2K4 to UTgoty. The more you can manipulate your movement, the better. I also think movement should be balanced. If you do a move that gets you very far, very fast there should be some negative reprecussions to it, like the impact hammer jump. I hope that explained my point well.

Comment

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=- View Post
          Sometimes less is more.
          Nice to read this... Encouraging even.

Comment

Originally posted by Luseferous View Post
            I'm not doing to get into a bring back the dodgejump rant, It's gone and thats that.

I will say that most tactical shooters bore me to death with their clunky limited movement systems that encourage constant bunny hopping around the map as its the only practical way to avoid fire. I remain very far from convinced that less is more in this case.
            I don't see UT3 as a tactical shooter. I do understand your frustration with how boring realistic shooters like BF2 and the rest can be, due to having limited movement. That is what they want, they want realism, not "over the top". In a way, games like that are limited to only certain kinds of this or that, due to their insistence on realism. UT3 has no where near the boundaries of those games. As it keeps being said, again and again, people will come up with some crazy mods for movements and bring back 2k4ness, for those that want it in UT3. They'll just have to have scaled up maps to meet those mods.

Intentsly

Comment

maybe it sounds like it's taking a step bak, but it's really just evolving more sophisticatedly than a 2 minute interview lets you describe

Comment

Yeah? How's the beta demo working out for you?

Slug.......wait for it..........City

Comment

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=- View Post
                  Sometimes less is more.
                  most of the time, less is less?

Comment

One thing I never liked about UT2004 is the "low gravity feel" (because of dodge-jumps I think) compared to the more grounded UT99.

Also the big maps of UT2004 make battles boring, where you fight from distance...
                    UT99 has close combat almost all the time.

Comment

I'm right there with you OP. I like the new game and all, but it seemed like before you could really use your skills in movement to your advantage. With only a single dodge all I do is move 3-4 feet from where i was. No amazing races to the shields anymore etc. More like a Walkathon. The jump boots really help this though, I with they were more common, maybe spawning in a few places.

Someone mentioned that it feels more heavy and less mobile like HALO. A big reason why I play UT is because it's not HALO, it's speed and the action never stops. If I were a developer i'de want to stay as far away from a HALO style as possible.

Comment

i like boobs...and i like UT3. nuff said.
                        keepin it simple is the answer.

Comment

High... Anyone who's played TAM has probably played with me... I'm probably recognized as a 'good' player and would like to give a nod to the clans Khz(Z, SandScorpion), PoS(Blood), TK5 crew, RIP, and everyone playing on KHZ and IHOP. I downloaded the 'leaked' demo and gave it a go and immediately noticed the lack of double jump and the fact that my player felt like he weighs 2 tons. After playing for a bit it's immediately apparent that this does indead lower the learning curve while completely pulling away from what people like myself loved about UT2K3/K4. The drop of the lightning gun makes no sense as the sniper rifle is a complete design orphan completely missing the style of the other weapons and loads even faster than the lighting gun... And short of extreme long range is almost the same as a hitscan weapon. The flak cannon alt fire is screwed. If I want to shoot it at someone close to me I have to aim at the ground in between because it seems to automatically shoot UP at a large angle... Aiming seems off but without the option in the demo to turn off weapon bob that might be why, oh and why can't I input fractions for my mouse sens? The competition in the upper skill levels of UT2K4 is intense, and these design decisions seem to bring that down. They seem to be made entirely based on the onslaught mode? Trying to make it more like Quake Wars and BF maybe? I dunno but the second I mentioned the movement differences to Raptor5399(TAM players know him I'm sure) he said the same thing everyone else I've talked to/played with said, "That was dumb"(also "Because they are dumb""Epic is losing it" etc.) . I will not be purchasing this game in the current state, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by RazorX View Post
                            I downloaded the 'leaked' demo and gave it a go and immediately noticed the lack of double jump and the fact that my player felt like he weighs 2 tons. After playing for a bit it's immediately apparent that this does indead lower the learning curve while completely pulling away from what people like myself loved about UT2K3/K4. The drop of the lightning gun makes no sense as the sniper rifle is a complete design orphan completely missing the style of the other weapons and loads even faster than the lighting gun... And short of extreme long range is almost the same as a hitscan weapon. The flak cannon alt fire is screwed. If I want to shoot it at someone close to me I have to aim at the ground in between because it seems to automatically shoot UP at a large angle... Aiming seems off but without the option in the demo to turn off weapon bob that might be why, oh and why can't I input fractions for my mouse sens? The competition in the upper skill levels of UT2K4 is intense, and these design decisions seem to bring that down. They seem to be made entirely based on the onslaught mode? Trying to make it more like Quake Wars and BF maybe? I dunno but the second I mentioned the movement differences to Raptor5399(TAM players know him I'm sure) he said the same thing everyone else I've talked to/played with said, "That was dumb"(also "Because they are dumb""Epic is losing it" etc.) . I will not be purchasing this game in the current state, sorry.
                            1) The double jump is there. The dodge jump is gone, unless you're using the boots.

2) Yep. That the movement feels like you actually have weight strikes me as a significant improvement.

3) The early learning curve probably won't be as steep as the one in 2k4, true. The high end will still be very difficult. This is also good. It'll help the new players along the way.

4) I never cared much for the LG/sniper debate either way. The weapon function is largely the same. I'm glad we agree.

5) Exaggeration. The flak secondary is at a significantly different angle from earlier UTs. It'll take some getting used to.

6) Hadn't noticed the weapon bob, but I play with it turned off anyway. I'm rather shocked to learn that the 2k4 crowd doesn't know how to modify their .ini files, however. That'll solve your mouse problems in no time.

7) I never found the 2k3/4 matches I played in to be anywhere near as intense as the ones I played in UT99. A matter of taste, I suppose. I find fighting for my virtual life to be more exciting than running for my virtual life.

8) Like ET:QW and BF42? No, the change bringing UT towards those games was the introduction of vehicles. The core of UT3 looks to be grounded more in deathmatch, team deathmatch, and CTF. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people having fun with the vehicle modes, though.

9) You and another TAM player won't be buying? What a shame.

Comment

Seems to me the guys who told all us UT players to go play UT when we said the movement was awful in UT2k3/4 aren't following their own brilliant advice here. Why should they make the game like UT2k4 when it flopped so well?
                              And to all those saying it ain't as 'Pro' as UT2k4, i suggest you try competing with the best UTers out there, then you'll see what a whooping is really about, even though they have such 'limited' movement.

Comment

If you guys are going to complain just go play Warsow. More jumping then a room full of kangaroos!

Comment

Working...
                                X