Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT99 v. 2K movement, why not build off it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StalwartUK View Post
    UT isn't an acrobatics game. It's a game where you hunt for your enemies with your weapons, not a game where you keep trying to pull off impossible manuevers.
    I agree. The UT1 movement was fine and never needed to be fixed or improved upon and I don't remember ever hearing complaints about it. My beef with the UT2 movement is that it makes the games feel too hitscanny and the shock combo doesn't feel as effective. The shock combo let a guy who wasn't a great hitscanner still compete since it was about predicting your opponents' movements and not hitscanning them as they floated through the air or bounced around.

Comment

UT2k3/4 movement was fun, but the way i see it was that it allowed players to get away with lower hitscan accuracy. Someone with 20-25% shock could "perfect" their movement to allow them to evade otehr players. The UT99 style (ish) movement in UT3 is going to make the game more accuracy based IMO. If im remebering correctly from UT99 (and even Unreal itself) the DM was really accuracy controlled until very close range combat.

Comment

Originally posted by intentsly View Post
        I don't know about the shoulder roll, but this has been rehashed burnt and ground up and burnt over and over again. There will be someone (or more) to make mutators to add all the funky moves anybody would want (more likely not) into the game again. That way those that want it can have their 2k4a.

Intentsly
        I couldn't agree more. I was simply calling the OP on his own agenda. Not that the shoulder roll doesn't have a place in UT, but it just won't be as effective as it is in games such as Gears of War. As a matter of fact, the 'roll could actually have the opposite effect in UT3; it could get you fragged by splash damage.

All in all, I more or less agree with will, albeit my opinion is that more isn't always better.

Comment

evolution hit the 2kx movement, just like it hit the dodo.

it was retarded and it died.

Comment

OP should try UC2. There's more crazy evolution of movement there than you can squeeze into a pair of jump boots.

Comment

Corner wall jumping:

"HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP-HUP!"

Comment

"Pixel Pusher" Hah! I don't know, but I always laugh when I see that in your sig..

Comment

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=- View Post
                  Sometimes less is more.
                  So say we all.

Comment

Originally posted by MuBashi View Post
                    Because in the end, I think we all want the most freedom and choice over control in any gaming environment we play.
                    unfortunately, there's a lot of people in this community that only likes it if there's no choice. namely, the UT99 nostalgics.

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
                      unfortunately, there's a lot of people in this community that only likes it if there's no choice.
                      If you call one move that was removed to allow for improved map-scaling "limited" movement, then yeah, I'm all for it.

namely, the UT99 nostalgics.
                      Um, no. It's more like people who would rather play a more grounded game. It doesn't mean that you only run around the map without dodging or jumping, but the floaty moves of UT2 did little to keep players coming back for more. Sure, there was a faithful niche community, but last I checked, niche communities do not provide enough of a consumer base to entice game companies to develop games just for them.

Comment

You know, I wouldn't mind a different Epic title that had all those extra moves, and boosting, maybe some turbo mode, and whatever other "evolutionary" changes can be had. Make it more Sonic the Hedgehog and just build a crazy title. Give more weapons insane knockback or other quirky features. But let's leave that out of Unreal titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                          You know, I wouldn't mind a different Epic title that had all those extra moves, and boosting, maybe some turbo mode, and whatever other "evolutionary" changes can be had. Make it more Sonic the Hedgehog and just build a crazy title. Give more weapons insane knockback or other quirky features. But let's leave that out of Unreal titles.
                          That title will be called Envy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                            But let's leave that out of Unreal titles.
                            Exactly. Give it psychedelic color pallettes and call it 'Surreal'.

Hmmmmmmm ... *rubs goatee*

Comment

on the video on 1:00 - 1:02 how many jumps does that guy do? I think i counted 4?

[EDIT] http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=576229 [/EDIT]

Comment

Originally posted by Raynor View Post
                                To activate AntiGrav Boots
                                LOL?

Comment

Working...
                                X