UT3 TrickJumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 TrickJumping

Forget extravagant vehicles and cross platform play for a second and lets talk about one of the long lost arts of twitch fps, Trick jumping.

Trick jumping has always been an important element in the tradition of great fps games. Every truly great twitch fps enjoyed its own form of trick jumping, wether discovered through engine bugs or built in at the developers choice. Trick jumping allows a player to use a special combination of moves to accelerate his character faster than normal running speed. In 2k3 new moves and weapons changed tricking in the UT series, allowing a player a far greater tricking ability. UT3 will again change trickjumping in the UT series.

Which direction do you think trick jumping will take in UT3?

With any hope, it's role will be greatly diminished. Yes, I am fully aware that many UT2KXers feel that the trick jumps gave added depth to the game, but it brought about over-scaled maps, which lead to other issues I truly do not wish to rehash.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia y Vega View Post
      Which direction do you think trick jumping will take in UT3?
      Hopefully, up.

Comment

Your obviously getting at double dodging being removed. I'm glad its going to be honest. There will be plenty of opportunities to do piston jumps and wall dodge combos, without the need for double-dodge + oversized maps.

Comment

Not needed

Trick jumping is not needed for the majority of players that can dodge well. If you feel the need to find undocumented advantages to unbalance the gameplay, I'm sure there won't be any police knocking at your door for it. Just remember that finding things as such is the only reason you'd be owning over an equal player.

Intentsly

Comment

Originally posted by ziadoz View Post
            Your obviously getting at double dodging being removed. I'm glad its going to be honest. There will be plenty of opportunities to do piston jumps and wall dodge combos, without the need for double-dodge + oversized maps.
            I agree, though I'd wish the old UT style trickjumping would return too. With the 'gliding over surfaces' thing รก la EternalCaves etc.

Oh and also. Your signature is wrong, it should say 1998. Since the flak was introduced with the original Unreal. :P

Still in Leicester? I'm thinking of coming over soon. Do you still hang out with Dave?

Comment

Originally posted by intentsly View Post
              Trick jumping is not needed for the majority of players that can dodge well. If you feel the need to find undocumented advantages to unbalance the gameplay, I'm sure there won't be any police knocking at your door for it. Just remember that finding things as such is the only reason you'd be owning over an equal player.

Intentsly
              Dude. Ever heard of a trickjumping movie? Or ever doing it just for fun?
              Also, atleast in UT2k3/4, most of the actually useful trickjumps took a lot of skill and practice to do in an ongoing game.
              Trickjumping can be a fun thing to just mess around with in an offline or private game when you're bored of just fragging. So why all the hate man? :<

Comment

Being aware of the fact that ramp-dodging is in and that wall dodging was far more present (in terms of distance/height (play Curse if you do not belive me)) in UT from 99 (but almost anybody noticed) and that UT3 is closer to UT from 99 I am very confident that trick jumping will play a major role.

Comment

It all depends.. I've seen some people do amazing trickjumps, mostly in ut99, that made me want to try and try until I could do it too. But the trickjumping I like, is the kind that is so hard, that you need to master it completely if you don't want it to be useless in competative play. High risk of failure, something that you won't be able to pull off every time, but looks amazing when you manage to do it when it counts.

One of the (many) reasons why I disliked the dodge-jump, was that it was way too powerful and way too easy. If you were the one person that couldn't do it, you'd be screwed, because it's something easy to master.

When 'tricks' require experience, skill and luck, instead of 5 minutes to learn a button combination, casual play evens out, because you'll only see someone pulling off some stuff now and then, or perhaps see many people trying, and in competative play it's something that talented players can use to make a difference.

That's what I'd like to see.

Note: This is mainly from an iCTF point of view. I suppose in deathmatch or even nw CTF with its translocators this wouldn't be so much of a deal in the way I describe it, but this is one of the things that many of the people that claim instagib doesn't require and skill/thought seem to miss: Without translocators yet with instant kill weapons, it becomes so much more important to make the perfect run if you wanna cap a flag or return one.

Comment

Originally posted by Yurimasa View Post
                    Dude. Ever heard of a trickjumping movie? Or ever doing it just for fun?
                    Also, atleast in UT2k3/4, most of the actually useful trickjumps took a lot of skill and practice to do in an ongoing game.
                    Trickjumping can be a fun thing to just mess around with in an offline or private game when you're bored of just fragging. So why all the hate man? :<
                    No, hate towards fun, just didn't like the sound of someone playing with an unfair advantage thats all. Jump til yer gibbed!

Intentsly

Comment

here's one of the most interesting jumps i have made in UT99, noone has ever done it, it is strictly original and it is very useful. but on the scale of easy to impossible, it is definitely impossible x100

http://files.filefront.com/Curse+Bot.../fileinfo.html

Comment

UT3's movement is pretty much the same as UT2kX movement with the exception of the mid-air jump being removed after (wall)dodging.
                        The trouble with the dodgejump in trickjumping was that it seemed to up the level of trickjumps possible in UT2kX, while in reality in most cases it just added an extra jump to a trickjump. I think there'll be plenty of tricking going on in UT3.

Comment

considering the average UT3 player will just sit around and ask "how do i shock combo" all day...

Silly gamer, Trix are for Pros!!

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
                            considering the average UT3 player will just sit around and ask "how do i shock combo" all day...

Silly gamer, Trix are for Pros!!
                            A shock combo is no trick And an 'average' UT3 player would not ask how to do that. Unless you are saying trix are for kid pros, then I'd agree, it is the market for that cereal anyway. There are many players out there that don't play pro that could probably do so with ease. They just choose not to, or just don't have the time to dedicate to it. So, get off your 'pros can only do this or that' krap!

Intentsly

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                              The fastest way to get anywhere should be a straight out run... fast but predictable. More strategic movement should slow you down. Trade offs. Having to master some stupid esoteric skippidy-doo-dah **** just to get across the map is boring. Make something interesting worth practicing.
                              I see no reason to rewrite this.

Comment

Working...
                              X