Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT3 in Competitive Tournaments - Too Slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 in Competitive Tournaments - Too Slow?

I've been playing some games competitively for a while now, mostly Quake and UT2004. As of now, I'm playing Quake 4, and will be attending the WSVG in August to compete.

Anyway, I've talked to a lot of people in the competitive Dueling (1v1) community, and Quake 4 is almost dead. What we're hoping, is that UT3, when released, will be the new dueling game. It will hopefully replace Quake 4, and WSVG will pick it up, as well as CEVO, and some other tournaments.

But, as of now, we can only see one problem. The Speed.

After seeing some new videos, us, as a community, are worried that UT3 will be too slow. We know dodge-jump was removed, and some people find that UT2004 was slow as it is. Removing Dodge-jump in Deathmatch, Onslaught, TDM, etc, is fine, and it's understandable.

But, in 1v1, it just seems right now that it's going to be too slow. If the game is too slow, we're afraid it won't get picked up by the competitive 1v1 community, and they will stick to Quake 4.

I guess what I'm asking is a request. Maybe, something to consider.

Could dodge-jump possibly be added ONLY for 1v1?

I know it's a longshot, but I think if enough people ask for it, it could happen. I'm extremely excited for UT3, I'll be jumping right in when it's released.

I want UT3 to do well in Leagues, and get picked up by tournaments like WSVG, but, there's the fear that it won't get picked up, because it will be too slow paced.

Just wanted to put the word out there.

The dodge jump didn't make the game any faster, in fact I think it made it slower, as evasion was made too easy. The videos from the comicon look promising on the speed so i wouldn't worry much.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
      The dodge jump didn't make the game any faster, in fact I think it made it slower
      Have you played a 1v1 on CG on 2k3 vs a guy who knows what he's doing with dodgejumping? Try it and come back and say that same thing again.

Comment

Epic has added a new gametype to UT3 called Survival which is suppose to be some type of a 1v1 gametype very similar to Rocket Arena in Quake, where players sit in line waiting to take down the prevailing winner of the last game. I believe its also been said that you can have multiple matches going on in the same server(very much like rocket arena indeed). While there hasn't been much info on it and nobody really knows how far the gametype will really go. If it doesn't end up being so fun it still wont be the end of the world for competitive play. I think competition for competitive play in UT3 will go further then UT2k3/4 regardless of whether or not its going to be more skillful or not.
        Originally posted by Yurimasa View Post
        Have you played a 1v1 on CG on 2k3 vs a guy who knows what he's doing with dodgejumping? Try it and come back and say that same thing again.
        Yes most of us know that dodge jumping is used to move about the map more quickly and more effectively. But that doesn't make it faster, they could remove dodge jumping and have the game faster pace just by tweaking everything else that stayed.
        For me, the run speed looks very much increased in UT3 compared to UT2k4. The gravity also looks and has been mentioned by Epic to have been increased excessively, this is a good thing in my book, the sooner you get on the ground the sooner you can dodge again.
        The knock back on the weapons looks very much increased as well, and even the damage seems to have been increased, not to mention has also been said by Midway that it has("no gun takes over 6 shots to kill someone in UT3"), UT3's damage system seems much closer to Quake 3's and UT1's then UT2k3/4.

Comment

z0mg PLZ!

I'm worried too...

I've been lurking the 1v1 competitive scene for longer than I can remember. I'm hoping to hit the ground running once UT3 comes out and push myself to attend events and such. I've played a bit of competitive UT2004 but I'm just not motivated to get better at it with a sequel right around the corner. I also tried picking up Painkiller but finding people to play was impossible. I then tried Quake 4 but that game has more or less been a flop competitively specifically because it's slower than Quake 3. I'd really hate to see UT3 flop in a similar fashion! There's also Warsow which is plenty fast since it combines CPM style movement with UT dodging, but unless you live in Europe it's about as popular as Painkiller...

It's especially frustrating where I live because Microsoft has turned this into console land. It seems like the only games with strong competitive communities around here are the Halo, CS, and Battlefield series. After 8 years of playing CS I'm getting sick of biding my time waiting for a good deathmatch game to become popular again!

I know you're aiming for the masses, but don't let us competitive guys down EPIC! *fingerscrossed*

PS: Are you the Yurimasa from Pickles? I loved the movies! :P

Comment

for the 6 shots max to kill sum1, wat about things like assault rifle and minigun etc, are those being removed or is it just an exception?

Comment

UT1 has no dodge jump, but it's a great game to play 1on1. Have you ever played it?
              Dodge jumping only makes the game feel too floaty IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by tqz View Post
                UT1 has no dodge jump, but it's a great game to play 1on1. Have you ever played it?
                Dodge jumping only makes the game feel too floaty IMO.
                QFT. Dodge jumping is a bad idea for UT3. We have no concrete proof that the game speed is slow. The Comic-Con videos can be deceiving and we won't be sure of anything until we play the game ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by th1x View Post
                  After seeing some new videos, us, as a community, are worried that UT3 will be too slow. We know dodge-jump was removed, and some people find that UT2004 was slow as it is.
                  Understandable if you watched the console vids with decreased game speed played with a controller. Most competitive players I've heard is welcoming the movement changes going back to a faster UT99 style, so I'm confused who you mean when you say "us, as a community".

Comment

Though dodge jump removed, but..
                    -wall dodge and doube jump are still in;
                    -map scale similar to U/UT (of course, only non-vehicle maps)
                    -increased run speed by 10% ;
                    -increased dodge lengh by 10% ;
                    -shield gun removed;
                    -weapon damage increased.

These tweaks in combination increase pace even with removed DJ.
                    (in my opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by th1x View Post
                      I've been playing some games competitively for a while now, mostly Quake and UT2004. As of now, I'm playing Quake 4, and will be attending the WSVG in August to compete.
                      If you really play UT then you know the DM community is glad dodge jumping is gone. I am assuming that its the Quake community that wants it, because I have yet to find somebody in the UT competitive community that still wants it. 2k4 was fairly slow because it was so **** defensive. Weak weapons, the dodge jump and the shield made it that way. Those are gone.

If it doesn't get picked it will be more because of Epic.

Time and time again, they have shown a disdain for the competitive aspect of the game.

Comment

If you think ut2004 was too slow, just up the gamespeed setting on the server for competition....

I'm sure they'll have the same serverside configuration abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
                          [...] I'm confused who you mean when you say "us, as a community".
                          Probably the other Q4 players ...

Comment

UT3 looks like it's gonna be as fast as UT1 which was fine.
                            It's defo faster than 2k4 from what Ive seen of the vids.
                            Dodge jumping made the game slower imo, not faster, as you always made a slow easy target while floating through the air.

Comment

there's nothing wrong with ''floatyness'' in ut 2k4. For me its the only game out there with some depth left. through the years i tried countless of shooters which all got boring after a few games. fast, slow, realistic.. whatever they didnt bring half the stuff UT brought.. sure it might be hard to grasp for the majority of gamers that floatyness actually can bring a fun aspect to a game

Games need to be **** easy if they want to get popular. I myself am turned of by those game very quick. Im not too shallow to say that ut without dodge-jump will be an easier game to master game. But still it leaves a bitter taste. Movement will be faster and weapons will be more powerful, so it might still be fun in other ways. Floatyness wasn’t the biggest flaw in ut 2k4 imo the weak weapon damage was. Shame we need to lose some of the freedom because this game is to floaty.. lmao . this game isn’t to floaty its just that most people that tried it had a ego to big for this game and didn’t give it a fair chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X