UT3 interview at BeyondUnreal [22 June]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 interview at BeyondUnreal [22 June]

Haven't seen this around... many like it but not this one. My apologies if it has already been posted.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...99&postcount=2

Slightly less euphoric review than usual, more down-to-earth.

Some interesting tidbits:
    • Stealthbender deploys slow volume.
    • The enemy base is shielded by a forcefield, which is lifted by linking the nodes. Might be a misinterpretation, but this sure would cut down on spawnkilling.
    • Stealthbender "buries" spidermines. If that makes them harder to detect... that'd be pretty evil.

Thanks but all is known. No offense!

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
      [*]The enemy base is shielded by a forcefield, which is lifted by linking the nodes. Might be a misinterpretation, but this sure would cut down on spawnkilling.
      Although it sounds like a great idea ( never thought about this) it's probably a typo. Imagine a shielded Torlan ...the gun turrets would be invulnerable. On a second thought it actually depends on what the forcefield encloses...so it could maybe work.

Comment

RE: Forciefield

I think that's a great idea. Shield the whole base rather than just the powercore until it's unlocked. You'd just not have turrets be able to shoot through the shield.

RE: Spidermines

With that in mind, having to use the AVRiL alt-fire laser to activate them makes more sense. They're hidden until then?

Comment

You can see that they've looked a lot at Batlefield 2( also mentioned in the interview with JM)..PLayed the demo a short time, but I seem to remember that there was a gametype with flying motherships (base) that were protected by some sort of shield.

Comment

Are not forcefield protected bases pretty common in the SciFi genre? Much like moats in Fantasy?

Comment

Why was he talking about deathmatch with vehicles?

...in our sample deathmatches, the bots showed themselves well for a beta and managed to drive vehicles very precisely.
              Or did he mean a normal match, not deathmatch?

Comment

Originally posted by durtytarget View Post
                Thanks but all is known. No offense!
                About all I got out of it was that the orb cannot be carried in a vehicle (which is already the subject of a thread based on this same translation).

Comment

What's wrong with vehicles being in some deathmatch maps? It's not like all of them need to be tourney map ala Rankin. Some FFA-oriented maps would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                    What's wrong with vehicles being in some deathmatch maps? It's not like all of them need to be tourney map ala Rankin. Some FFA-oriented maps would be good.
                    Of course vehicles could add some tactical additions to DM maps, but I'd like to see pure DM maps too (that would actually get played).

Comment

I vaguely recall some mention of a vehicle in one of the DM maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                        I vaguely recall some mention of a vehicle in one of the DM maps.
                        That is true and I can tell you its the walker

Comment

Working...
                        X