Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they are too bent on not smiting the core owners by requiring the HDD. Personally I have the 120GB HDD so I dont care. I dont see it going this route but who knows. I think it is going to have to be PC version for me. Was hoping for a good 360 version because of live but PC should be fine.

Comment

Well, how many people actually that bought a core system have not upgraded and added a hardrive? For one it is required for compatibility with xbox games. Two, it's a much better save game mechanism.

Requiring a hardrive will affect a very small xbox360 population. That is preferred to leaving stuff out for 95% of the xbox360 community who have hardrives.

If they MUST make it somehow compatible for core users, then when installing the game, users could be given a choice, to either install the extra content on dvd's 2 and 3 to the hardrive (Recommended), play in "Core" mode only, where some maps and content isn't available, or play in "Core - Swap" mode, where the disc must be changed when content is on the 2nd or 3rd DVD.

Comment

can they not just release it on 2 discs?

Comment

Originally posted by Wenty View Post
          can they not just release it on 2 discs?
          Oh good Lord. Please go and read the rest of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sublime View Post
            Oh good Lord. Please go and read the rest of the thread.
            I take that as a "it cant be done" then?

Comment

Originally posted by Wenty View Post
              I take that as a "it cant be done" then?
              Take it as a 'this has already been discussed and the obvious flaws with releasing it on two discs'

Comment

If MS wouldn't limit the DVD9 disk to 7gb for game data due to DRM and hologram junk this wouldn't be a problem. Heck, as it stands a PS2 has more room for game data on a DVD9 (full capacity) than the 360 does. That extra 1gb would be what Epic needs (and im sure a lot of other developers too, before having to resort to watering/chopping things down).

Comment

Mark, thank you and your team very much for keeping the Linux version alive. Gaming is tough on Linux, but UT2k4 has been awesome. Keep up the great work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie_PT View Post
                    Sooo... does that mean the PC / Mac / Linux versions will also have less content? Because the last time i checked most people didn't had a BD drive in their computers. Heck, a lot of them don't even have a DVD drive.

[expanded for clarification, since some people like to criticize without knowing any facts]

The US are not the center of the universe, wich means not every single computer out there has a DVD drive in it.

Pressing 1 DVD is roughly the cost of pressing 4 CDs, that was the reason given a few years back for UT2004s 6 CDs (yes, i know the SCE version came out in a DVD, but that was a limited edition)
                    I don't think they'll be pressing more than 1 DVD for this game even if it's for the PC. It's probably not cost effective. My 2 cents are on a 1 DVD edition with the missing stuff being available through download, leaving those still living with 56K or without internet unable to access this content.

Yes, there are still people without internet or on 56k modems with machines capable of playing this game. Remember that most UT2003/2004 buyers NEVER played online.
                    Again, the US are not the center of the universe and the rest of the world is very different from your neighborhood, so don't judge everyone else based on your narrow view.
                    Did you even think before posting this?

A) Pressing a BR disc costs TONS more than pressing a DVD, let alone a CD. The cost of making the discs is utterly irrelevant here. If they were *that* worried about the cost of media production, they wouldn't be going anywhere near the PS3...

B) PCs will install the entire game to the HDD, so spreading the game across *ten* discs wouldn't be an issue once it was installed.

C) 360 Owners do NOT install content to their HDDs off the discs because MS has stated that games on the 360 can NOT "require" an HDD. This obviously presents a logistical problem for multi-disc games... It's not impossible, but it will require some work because in a game like UT, how can you determine WHEN a user should trade out the disc? In a normal game you play up to a certian point and then trade out the disc. This is not the case with UT.

Use your brain next time.

Comment

Originally posted by numonex View Post
                      You know what?? Yes I can read and I am a computer engineer.
                      LOL as if that means jack **** in regards to your argument. You just lost all argumentative credibility with that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by numonex View Post
                        I think they are too bent on not smiting the core owners by requiring the HDD. Personally I have the 120GB HDD so I dont care. I dont see it going this route but who knows. I think it is going to have to be PC version for me. Was hoping for a good 360 version because of live but PC should be fine.
                        If you have a PC that can run the game, it'd be utterly STUPID not to get it over any of the console versions. Consoles suck for FPS games compared to PCs...period. Console versions are out for the people who have consoles and can't afford to build an expensive gaming rig. There just happen to be a lot of them, so console versions of games are pretty much a must anymore. You sacrifice graphical quality, controls, (storage space), etc for a better initial investment pricetag.

Saying the PC version just "should be fine" is doing the incredible virtues of the platform a severe injustice.

Buying PC over Console (given adequate pc hardware) is a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie_PT View Post
                          Sooo... does that mean the PC / Mac / Linux versions will also have less content? Because the last time i checked most people didn't had a BD drive in their computers. Heck, a lot of them don't even have a DVD drive.
                          As of 2004, the installed DVD-ROM base was estimated at over 26 million units:
                          http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

If you want more detailed and current stats on DVD-Adoption (most home computers sold in the last three years have them as standard) you can purchase a comparative study here for $4,500:

http://idc.com/research/viewtoc.jsp;...ainerId=207487

Originally posted by Hickeroar View Post
                          If you have a PC that can run the game, it'd be utterly STUPID not to get it over any of the console versions. Consoles suck for FPS games compared to PCs...period... You sacrifice graphical quality, controls, (storage space), etc for a better initial investment pricetag.
                          Explain how PS3 + Mouse and Keyboard for $500 is a bad idea if $500 worth of upgrades wouldn't get me equal framerate?

As it stands, I'll have to replace mainboard, CPU, ram, vidcard and PSU. And that looks like about $1,000...

Comment

Originally posted by chu::LOB:: View Post
                            As of 2004, the installed DVD-ROM base was estimated at over 26 million units:
                            http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

If you want more detailed and current stats on DVD-Adoption (most home computers sold in the last three years have them as standard) you can purchase a comparative study here for $4,500:

http://idc.com/research/viewtoc.jsp;...ainerId=207487

Explain how PS3 + Mouse and Keyboard for $500 is a bad idea if $500 worth of upgrades wouldn't get me equal framerate?

As it stands, I'll have to replace mainboard, CPU, ram, vidcard and PSU. And that looks like about $1,000...
                            to be fair, he did say...

If you have a PC that can run the game,
                            i think he meant "if you ALREADY have a PC that can run the game..."

Comment

Originally posted by chu::LOB:: View Post
                              pc framerate>console framerate

Period. I hate to say it, being i will get it on ps3, but pc will have better possible framerate than console. And ut3 is being made to run well on midrange pcs. u can get a new pc that'll run it for less than $1000

Comment

ut3 is a pc game through and through! now dont get me wrong i have always had consoles too from ps1/ps2/xb/gamecube etc - but they are 2 different types of experience. the pc you are siting at your pc the screen is smaller and you use it for different types of games. in my case it is fps / and rts ( mainly ut2004 and coh ) due to mouse and keyboards the pc does these games much better than console - this isnt even an argument its a statment.
                                that said sprawling out infront of the new large HD tv with a racing game beat em up or sometimes even a fps can be just the thing, you dont have as much control if course but you do have more comfort and its nice to see the game in the big screen with the 5.1sound system the pc is hardcore mode the console = more fun mode relaxing mode, or using it for something that the pc doesnt have / do as well
                                these are just my personal opinions on this subject.
                                ps - after seing bioshock at my friends house on his 360 i am taking advantage of the 24th being the elite release day and bioshock release ( in the uk ) and getting both as i feel this is a perfect example of a fps that is very good played in the console enviroment. whatever platform you have remember to enjoy the coming months we are heading into the good part of the year for us gamers and its been lean so far ; )

Comment

Working...
                                X