X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Vinnie_PT View Post
    Sooo... does that mean the PC / Mac / Linux versions will also have less content? Because the last time i checked most people didn't had a BD drive in their computers. Heck, a lot of them don't even have a DVD drive.
    They'll just ship them with multiple DVDs and you can install all of the maps on your computer, duh! They used to and still do that with CDs!!!!!

The maps on the consoles are on the discs and not "installed" to the console drive.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Delirium Trigger View Post
    Epic isn't to blame for this. Nore is it Microsoft's. When Microsoft decided to make their console, they wanted it to be affordable and give people options to experience a better generation of games. That basically lead to the fact that they decided to stick with DVD as their media for games over HD-DVD and the different SKUs. Since this gives consumers more affordable options, it "limits" developers with storage options.

If there's anyone there to "blame", it's the consumers. It doesn't pay to be cheap. In the long run, spending just that little extra is worth it.
    True that. I'm getting the PC (I want to get into modding) and the ps3 version (so I'll be able to play game at all when the game comes out.).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by numonex View Post
    Well this isnt a very good practice. it makes me not want to support Epic anymore. Does he think that millions of gamers that made him loot with Gears of war is going to just go out and get a PS3 because it is supposed to have more? Personally with all the games that are comming, especially Halo 3 and Bioshock, i just aswell skip over UT3 if it ever comes to 360. Maybe it shouldnt. If they cannot release the complete game then dont release it at all! Dont mess with people pocketbooks like this!
    Originally posted by Recon42 View Post
    The Xbox 360 is not limited. Microsoft is limiting the 360.Epic doesn't know the words of limits.Microsoft practically invented the word "limit"..
    Epic isn't to blame for this. Nore is it Microsoft's. When Microsoft decided to make their console, they wanted it to be affordable and give people options to experience a better generation of games. That basically lead to the fact that they decided to stick with DVD as their media for games over HD-DVD and the different SKUs. Since this gives consumers more affordable options, it "limits" developers with storage options.

If there's anyone there to "blame", it's the consumers. It doesn't pay to be cheap. In the long run, spending just that little extra is worth it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Xbox 360 is not limited. Microsoft is limiting the 360.Epic doesn't know the words of limits.Microsoft practically invented the word "limit"..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Goobers View Post
    with that 96KB... what can be done? as the wiki said, most of the space on the DVD from UT2003/2004 isn't from the level information, but from the engine (which runs not only graphics, but physics, audio and AI processes) and textures.

there's a bit more to it than just level generation.
    Agreed but the majority of the space is taken by textures and sounds. Download it and play it. Mind you its just a demo and a little buggy but when playing it remember that it can fit on a floppy 10 times over. Its pretty amazing. Now I am not saying that 360 games can fit on floppies but if I am not mistaken a significan amount of space savings can be claimed by fully implimenting this approach.

I dont ever se it happening though. Developers tend to port games, which means they are not going to recreate from the ground up just to use this process. that is pretty sad.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
    No. They'll just sell you a knew and better console with the latest greatest storage media.

How long until we go back to having games on cartridges?
    True.

I give it 9 years. With the way flash storage is going these days, it could very well be possible. >_< But that's going completely off topic.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sublime View Post
    Whereas the PS3 discs have 50Gb storage and PC users(while perhaps requiring multiple discs) can simply install the game to their HD anyway and only need the discs once.
    25 GB if you go single layer BR.

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
    No. They'll just sell you a knew and better console with the latest greatest storage media.

um... XBox 360 Elite?

the reality is... Xbox 360 CAN do all the content that PC and PS3 will... but ONLY if you go with the Elite version since they have 120 GB drives or buy that drive seperately (current price? about $180)... sure you could try to fit it on the non-elite 20 GB hdd... of that 20 only 13 is usable (the "rest" is system space).

but... like i said... for a company to do that, it would mean a "requirements" kinda deal of the 120 GB drive... and you know what happens then? a boat load of people coming on the forums... making just about as much noise as we are.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Even if UT3 players will be able to download the extra content online. This still leaves a bit of worry because eventually all games will be too large to fit on DVDs. And with game genres such as RPGs, you can't simply download the excess that doesn't fit on disc. Which means sooner or later, Xbox is going to have to start releasing games on multiple discs, or developers are going to have to cut things out.

Whereas the PS3 discs have 50Gb storage and PC users(while perhaps requiring multiple discs) can simply install the game to their HD anyway and only need the discs once.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Kkrieger.. right.. released quite a while back.. and what a leap it has taken....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -VT- View Post
    sorry i should have put "EVERY single desktop computer that a typical/average person has to have in order to operate."...I mean i was responding to someone who, well you read what he said, do you think he even understands what you just posted .

i just knew someone was going to call me out on that...
    i'd call people out on grammar... but i'm not that much of a "no soup for you" guy. plus the fact that on gamespot forums, for some reason, the message box will randomly remove spaces from my posts.

as for mr vinnie... i dunno... in reality, i agree that there is/should be some expectation for PC users to have HDDs (hopefully enough to do everything they want at the time).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by numonex View Post
    Sorry guys. for those interested in procedural geometry games this is the right link, the last one only went to a screenshot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kkrieger

The game takes 96kb not 180kb. Sorry about the misinformation
    with that 96KB... what can be done? as the wiki said, most of the space on the DVD from UT2003/2004 isn't from the level information, but from the engine (which runs not only graphics, but physics, audio and AI processes) and textures.

there's a bit more to it than just level generation.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Goobers View Post
    technically, no.

as it's always been, you could run the OS of some removable medium... early on, you had the entire OS start up on a floppy... then you swapped floppies around depending on what you did... didn't need a HDD. HDDs came a little later. i had an 8088 clone with a whopping 30 MB drive... it was the shnitz!

nowadays... you could have an OS on either a flash drive or a "live" CD/DVD... so you could run without HDDs... but the actual purpose now isn't to run without HDDs... but to be able to run your stuff on any computer without having to "install yourself" into those computers.

like i said though, it's a technicality.

unless you're one of those people that always wants to be "on the go, light and easy"... then you're gonna want a HDD.

on the flipside... anyone that has a "gaming PC" and still doesn't even have a DVD... are turds... need i say more?
    sorry i should have put "EVERY single desktop computer that a typical/average person has to have in order to operate."...I mean i was responding to someone who, well you read what he said, do you think he even understands what you just posted .

i just knew someone was going to call me out on that...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry guys. for those interested in procedural geometry games this is the right link, the last one only went to a screenshot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kkrieger

The game takes 96kb not 180kb. Sorry about the misinformation

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -VT- View Post
    HARD DRIVE which EVERY single desktop computer has to have in order to operate.
    technically, no.

as it's always been, you could run the OS of some removable medium... early on, you had the entire OS start up on a floppy... then you swapped floppies around depending on what you did... didn't need a HDD. HDDs came a little later. i had an 8088 clone with a whopping 30 MB drive... it was the shnitz!

nowadays... you could have an OS on either a flash drive or a "live" CD/DVD... so you could run without HDDs... but the actual purpose now isn't to run without HDDs... but to be able to run your stuff on any computer without having to "install yourself" into those computers.

like i said though, it's a technicality.

unless you're one of those people that always wants to be "on the go, light and easy"... then you're gonna want a HDD.

on the flipside... anyone that has a "gaming PC" and still doesn't even have a DVD... are turds... need i say more?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X