UT on mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT on mac

i was just wondering whether mac users use the same discs as pc users to install the game or are we going to need special discs to play this epic game

We have not been told the answer to this question, afaik.

Comment

Are macs really powerful enough to play a game like UT3 or Gears? I never thought of that before..

Edit: I knew that a mac version was going to be made, but will the graphics be like the Wii when compared to a ps3 or 360?

Edit 2: Sorry for my ignorance. I don't know much about macs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagnot View Post
        Are macs really powerful enough to play a game like UT3 or Gears? I never thought of that before..

Edit: I knew that a mac version was going to be made, but will the graphics be like the Wii when compared to a ps3 or 360?

MACs are usually on par with pcs in terms of power. They just have a different operating sytem running it and are not IBM compatible, like all other PCs are

Comment

The appropriate GFX cards will be available. I don't see how an 8 (!!!) core Intel CPU clocked at 3 (!!!!) GHz isn't able to run the game. Going to apple.com and clicking on "Mac" will give you easy and fast answers.

Comment

As a Mac owner, the only area that they lack some what is in the video card area. Fewer driver updates and usually less than the top of the line video cards.

The Mac version of UT2k4 removed the character shadows to keep up with the PCs, IIRC.

Comment

Whoa, I didn't know there was a Mac version of 04. I have a friend who might be interested in hearing that..

Comment

Whoa, I didn't know there was a Mac version of 04. I have a friend who might be interested in hearing that..
                Yep! Right here!

Comment

my mac

here's my specs

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
                  2GB memory
                  NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

should this be able to run it ok

Comment

The new macbook pros should be able to handle it with some reduced settings. They're really pretty decent machines. The Mac pros will have NO problem at all with UT3. The main problem with a mac pro is that it's ridiculously expensive... You could build a MAJOR gaming system for what a base model mac pro costs...

I'm a mac user for general use and work, but I have a dedicated gaming PC that I built myself running XP. I used to run vista, but the gaming performance under it is abysmal in a big way. IMHO, gaming is a market that macs really don't go well with. Their only true desktop PC (the mac pro) is just priced far too high. The mac pro is upgradable in most ways but in the rest of their stuff you can only upgrade the ram and sometimes the HDDs...

Comment

Originally posted by vläd View Post

There's also a downloadable demo of it on the download section of the apple website.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaW0lf04 View Post
                        MACs are usually on par with pcs in terms of power. They just have a different operating sytem running it and are not IBM compatible, like all other PCs are
                        Actually they ARE IBM compatible now and have been for a year or so. They run intels and the whole bit. I have windows Vista installed on a second partition on my macbook pro...

Comment

Originally posted by vläd View Post
                          The Mac version of UT2k4 removed the character shadows to keep up with the PCs, IIRC.
                          Actually character shadows don't suck to much FPS.

But they were not removed to add speed, in fact they weren't removed at all. They are not supported. Same on Linux. Reason is that Mac and Linux have to use OpenGL, which does not support the character shadows (well, the outdated version included with ut2004 anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Hickeroar View Post
                            The new macbook pros should be able to handle it with some reduced settings. They're really pretty decent machines. The Mac pros will have NO problem at all with UT3. The main problem with a mac pro is that it's ridiculously expensive... You could build a MAJOR gaming system for what a base model mac pro costs...
                            What you aren't saying is that a base model Mac Pro is EQUIVALENT to a Major gaming Windows machine! If you compare specs, that gaming machine costs just as much, if not more than the eqivalent Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulpine View Post
                              If you compare specs, that gaming machine costs just as much, if not more than the eqivalent Mac.
                              That's just not true. I'm a mac guy.. love macs, do all my real work on them... but I game on PC. Take the money any mac costs and build a PC with it and you will get a much faster machine. Not as fun to use or pretty, but faster for gaming, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X