online physics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

online physics?

anyone know if the physics will transfer to online this time around. as far as i know the karma physics only worked offline in UT2004 (in VCTF-MarsBase5000 theres a bunch of tires that bounce if you shoot but they only bounce if you play in instant match but online they act like they're glued to the floor)

Yes, most of the UT3 maps infact will have many different physics taking place.

Comment

would be nice if it was but I doubt it.
      The data needed to send to all clients to keep karma translations up to date would require more bandwidth than what it's worth.
      And just simply setting a startpoint for the physics (location, speed of impact, direction of impact, etc...) might be enough, but there will always be some client/server discrepancies.
      Currently in ut2k4 the death animations don't even match on 2 systems with the same settings

Comment

Originally posted by scribly View Post
        would be nice if it was but I doubt it.
        The data needed to send to all clients to keep karma translations up to date would require more bandwidth than what it's worth.
        And just simply setting a startpoint for the physics (location, speed of impact, direction of impact, etc...) might be enough, but there will always be some client/server discrepancies.
        Currently in ut2k4 the death animations don't even match on 2 systems with the same settings

i thinkk UT3 uses havok though doesn't it?

Comment

Ageia PhysX engine, I believe.

Comment

Yeah, it's PhysX. They already confirmed that additional eyecandy will be available for every user with a PhysX-Card.
            I really hope physics networking will be supported this time around. Hey, the Source Engine could do stuff like that from the beginning, so why should UT3 not? It would be a crying shame if online physics wouldn't be possible in UT3. It doesn't need to become another CellFactor, but something like the ability to knock over a crate with a shock beam so that it flies in your enemies' face and actually does damage would be really cool. I have plans for a mod that involves a telekinesis ability but if UT3 doesn't support online physics I have to change my plans and use CryEngine2 or Source instead.

Comment

Working...
            X