Mac question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xipher View Post
    I believe Ryan said himself (icculus, the guy Epic contracted to help with the Linux and Mac ports) a while back he did not expect to port over the tools. Mark has said previously on this forum he doubted the tools would be ported. I can't quote either but I know they have said it.
    Well, I *can* quote ryan.. all be it from 2004.

"We've already rewritten UnrealEd to use the wxWindows toolkit on Windows. The intention is to have it run on Mac, Linux, and Windows.

That's for UnrealEngine3, though, not UT2004."

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus...st.php?id=6277

-D

Comment

Where did my post go?

The MAC port will most likely be started when the PC version goes gold, you can't port something that isn't done, and Macsoft did the work on porting UT2004, wouldn't be too surprised if they did again, I don't know how long that will take or if they want to match the release to some apple event, but a few weeks I would guess is the minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by zenwretch View Post
        [snip]

2) building a mac editor wouldn't be a simple port.. it's quite a complicated program, and the UT3 editor is the most sophisticated yet. And I'm sure the 'mac guy(s) are busy doin other stuff... seeing as the Mac version of UT3 isn't even gonna make launch I have a hunch they're really busy doin' other stuff besides a complicated editor port
        Wow, yur privy to the UnrealED engine code! cool.

..truth is you have no clue as to the complexity... I don't either.

Donovan

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
          Where did my post go?

The MAC port will most likely be started when the PC version goes gold, you can't port something that isn't done, and Macsoft did the work on porting UT2004, wouldn't be too surprised if they did again, I don't know how long that will take or if they want to match the release to some apple event, but a few weeks I would guess is the minimum.
          I hope they are involved.. good company.

Donovan

Comment

Originally posted by =Uff-da= View Post
            ..truth is you have no clue as to the complexity... I don't either.
            Donovan
            Well, maybe YOU don't have a clue (quite obvious), but I do. Various interviews and posts from blizz devs, as well as from over at 3dbuzz.com, talk about how the new editor is a bigger, more complex application. It has a whole new shader system and material editor build in...not to mention Kismet. And just the fact that the new book Busby is puttin out is over 1.2k+ pages, and may now have to be 2 or 3 books should tell you something. It's clearly a more complex program than the UT2k4 editor. So you can claim that you yourself have no clue, but don't talk for others.

But I sympathize with you, man. The truth is, you are just looking for loopholes to keep your dream alive of a mac editor. I'm with ya.. i'm a mac guy first and foremost and would LOVE an editor on the Mac. I think we need to face the reality, tho, that all signs, including direct *current* quotes from the devs, all seem to convincingly point otherwise.

Anyway, i wish we could bet on it... papa needs a new pair of shoes...

Comment

Zen... I understand that I am optimistic on this... but I *am* being logical as well. To me, there is no more indication that an UnrealED is on the way for a mac than otherwise... and in fact, there is proof that epic has taken steps toward the direction of the cross compatibility.

The other thing is, you seem to be confusing a complex *application* with what is really at issue.. a complex "port" or "build". Sure, the complexity of an app may add to the complexity of a build, but they are different. I surely don't know what complexities lie in the "build", and I am not a C++ guru who builds apps on a regular basis. But I do know that, as long as all your "ducks are in a row" (libs,scripts etc) a build is something that can happen with a command line in minutes or hours. It's getting the ducks in a line that may be the difficult part.

It appears that I know more than you on this, and I know that I know very little about it (as I'm sure someone will state). ;-)

But, I'm glad you are on our side.

Donovan

Comment

How about running the pc version on a mac through boot camp. Is this possible, plausible

Comment

Originally posted by utfreakpatrol View Post
                  How about running the pc version on a mac through boot camp. Is this possible, plausible
                  Yes, that'll work fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X