Mac question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac question

Does anyone know if mac/linux support for UT3 will be simultaneous with the windows release?

I wonder if it can run on my ibook g4 (or even ut3 mod maker), if so i can learn how to write mods for it on my mac, and play them on my ps3

Originally posted by DanB91 View Post
    Does anyone know if mac/linux support for UT3 will be simultaneous with the windows release?
    Seems likely.

Comment

also i forgot to ask, must u buy the computer version of UT3 to get the mod maker, or will it be free to d/l?

Comment

you have to buy the game to get the editor. it's got all the assets in it, or else you'd be stuck making your own textures etc.

im getting a macbook pro and am gonna be UT3ing on it. I hope it's enough. I'm not really a mac expert but you might be stretching it with that ibook g4.

Comment

Editor requires game content to work, so you'll need a legal copy on the computer. Not sure if there's an editor for the Mac per se.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
            Editor requires game content to work, so you'll need a legal copy on the computer. Not sure if there's an editor for the Mac per se.
            i believe it was confirmed that the editor works on mac and linux now

that sux i have to have the computer version o well ill be happy using mods on my ps3

Comment

Originally posted by DanB91 View Post
              i believe it was confirmed that the editor works on mac and linux now
              Not what I heard.

Comment

mac version is coming soon after (not sure about editor)
                epic staff said linux version is in the pc box but the system requirements don't say so

Comment

Mac version released some time after PC/Linux on Nov 19. My *guess* is Mac will be just before xmas, by a week or 2.

Editor is PC only.

Comment

Originally posted by zenwretch View Post
                    Mac version released some time after PC/Linux on Nov 19. My *guess* is Mac will be just before xmas, by a week or 2.

Editor is PC only.
                    Where did you get that info from? Nowhere I have seen says a definitive "Editor is PC only". In the IRC chat, there was text to where people didn't know of a Mac build... but that doesn't mean that the guy who is porting the Mac version (Ryan? you there?) won't be allowed to port a Mac version.

I remain hopeful.
                    Donovan

Comment

Has EPIC released a Mac Editor in any of its previous incarnations?

Comment

no

and this text is to meet the 10 character minimum :/

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                          Has EPIC released a Mac Editor in any of its previous incarnations?
                          Well Mort, from UT2 Apple was just regaining it's strength as a company. I'm suprised game developers still made games for Apple in the 90's! Jobs came back in the late 90's which started to turn the company around. It is very reasonable that game developers will start putting more resources into what is now a *very stable* company and platform. The fact that a mac Editor has never been ported has absolutely no bearing on anything. Epic could easily say, hey, it's time for a Mac editor... and it wouldn't be a stretch to make it happen.

Donovan

Comment

I understand you want to be hopeful, but you have to be realistic, and look at the facts.

1) there has never been a mac editor

2) building a mac editor wouldn't be a simple port.. it's quite a complicated program, and the UT3 editor is the most sophisticated yet. And I'm sure the 'mac guy(s) are busy doin other stuff... seeing as the Mac version of UT3 isn't even gonna make launch I have a hunch they're really busy doin' other stuff besides a complicated editor port

3) an epic employee himself (DrSin) said in the IRC chat "I don't believe there are plans for a Mac/Linux editor".

So, is there 100% absolute certainty that there will never be a Mac editor for any UT game? No, of course not. But given the past and what we know and heard from the dev's so far, I think you can be reasonably sure there will not be a Mac editor for UT3 maps for quite a while, if at all. Surely not at launch, and probably not in the next year.

I think the best we can hope for is that UT3 is an amazing, record-breaking hit, top-selling on all platforms and the most popular game of '07/'08. If that happens I can see someone committing the time and money to make a Mac editor too. Cross yer fingers...

Comment

I believe Ryan said himself (icculus, the guy Epic contracted to help with the Linux and Mac ports) a while back he did not expect to port over the tools. Mark has said previously on this forum he doubted the tools would be ported. I can't quote either but I know they have said it.

Comment

Working...
                              X