Small Inklings On System Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Inklings On System Specs

I found this while i was on the www.planetunreal.com website, gave some sort of insight as to what rig you might need to run UT3.

"Your Crappy 2½ Year Old Computer Will Run UT3 - RaptoR -
    7/31/07 7:18 PST - General UT3 News
    Unreal Tournament 3 lead designer Steve Polge dropped by the BU forums to talk about the recent glut of UT3 footage to come out of Comic-Con. Steve comments that the top-of-the-range Alienware systems used at Comic-Con would easily run UT3 at max details, and that UT3 playtesting was being done on 2.5 year old rigs with mid-range GeForce 7800 graphics cards.
    A few comments: we're still working on player and pickup visibility - we're confident we've got a system that will address those issues well. We haven't fully implemented this system because we need to make sure all character skins and level lighting is finalized before we tweak it. We also have a very nice material based system for making it easy to pick out team colors on players and vehicles at any distance, where the red or blue is boosted based on distance. That way you get natural looking characters and vehicles up close, whose team is clearly distinguishable even at the furthest viewable distance.

Those machines are way overkill for the highest detail level - the only reason it wasn't turned on was because the option isn't exposed in the menus. We do all of our play testing on 2.5 year old systems with 7800s in them - that's our target medium detail (what you were seeing today) platform. Quad core doesn't help much for performance, but having a dual core machine is a big benefit.

Stinger primary fire is still a hitscan minigun, although that build has some issues with the tracers feeling a touch laggy. Stinger alt-fire is not hitscan, however."

hope it helps somewhat

Excellent. My 7600GT is not entirely outdated then.

Comment

well im personally only running a BFG 7800 myself... so i was concerned... so hopfully it'll run okay for me too now

Comment

Originally posted by Lert View Post
        Excellent. My 7600GT is not entirely outdated then.
        Not entirely... but close.

Comment

I am going to be running:

Core2duo 2.4
          Geforce 7950GT
          XMS2 2gigs DDR2 ram

I think I should be alright, but maybe I am wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by VACkillers View Post
            We also have a very nice material based system for making it easy to pick out team colors on players and vehicles at any distance, where the red or blue is boosted based on distance. That way you get natural looking characters and vehicles up close, whose team is clearly distinguishable even at the furthest viewable distance.
            So simple..and I would have never thought of that O.o

Quad core doesn't help much for performance, but having a dual core machine is a big benefit.
            Woot.

Comment

Guess I'm out of luck with a 6600GT OC then.

Comment

Someone dig out my posts more than a year ago telling people that the "OMG I'M GONNA NEED 123309218 GIGS OF RAM AND A 2352355 GHZ PROCESSOR" stuff was overkill and that current technology will suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by MysTikal View Post
                  Guess I'm out of luck with a 6600GT OC then.
                  You might be able to run it at a low resolution with low detail.

Comment

I wonder if I can play UT3 with my 4200ti.

PS! it can barely play UE2 games on low setings.

Comment

I'm kind of hoping my 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac laptop will run it if anyone has any info on this being a possiblity plz tell me

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics

Comment

geez, ur all luky cause i got a geforce 7600gt. hope THAT does the job, cause iv been waiting all year and pooling all the cash i can get...

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
                          geez, ur all luky cause i got a geforce 7600gt. hope THAT does the job, cause iv been waiting all year and pooling all the cash i can get...
                          My friend, You are not alone..not alone. Well look at me. First how old are you? Second: I collected 1200$ for my PC only so thats gonna be a lot of money to spend.

Comment

Awesome so my 7800 GT will still be of some use. ^.^

Comment

wahh i guess my ibook g4 w/ ati radeon 9550 w/ 32mb vram wont be able to run it, even though it ran ut2004 perfectly

Comment

Working...
                              X