Programs used for development/custom content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
    Not 100 percent true, they only do half motion captured. The other half like cirtain flips and stuff that normals humans cant do still require some hand editing.
    Anything a human can't "normally" do but still obeys the laws of human bone movement can be done with wires while using mocap.

Comment

why bring up blender when maya has there free version. It has all the features just has overlay image of the company in preview window. But you can model and texture and export to unreal with no issues

Comment

Originally posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
        If you are currently in college, you can get any 3d modeling program that comes with an animator for about $300 (they usually cost well in excess of $7,500) through student discounts. My program of choice is Maya for modeling and animation. If you're going to do super detail (like detail on characters faces, vehicle damage, etc), you might want to invest in the newest version of Zbrush. It's cheap, and you can import your models straight from Maya or Max straight into Zbrush, and you can add CRAZY detail on them. It's pretty easy to make some absolutely insane stuff pretty quickly. Good luck! Modeling is fun, and seeing (and eventually playing) the finished product is even better.
        Thankyou 'toomuchbutthair' ^^ im aiming to get photoshop on the cheap this way when i go to uni. Atm i've just started using maya (wish id started earlier) using the Personal Learning Edition that Karmatized mentioned. I've done the basic polygon modelling tutorials and made that classic temple and a helmet, but i have no idea how lol. Just followed the steps. Hopefully ill pick it up quickly and get making my own meshes for maps. (the goal!)

And thanks for the offer of help Molgan my friend, will look u up on msn if i need help. Didn't know u were good at it! Tbh of all the packages i will stick with maya because i know its industry leading software, even if it is harder.

Comment

What im particularly interested in is how to make new animations. (oh and new ways to trigger them.
          oh.. and if you can attach things to bones. :P

Comment

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
            why bring up blender when maya has there free version. It has all the features just has overlay image of the company in preview window. But you can model and texture and export to unreal with no issues
            Well I normally use 3DS Max for my mod work but I know a lot of Blender users who are very picky about learning other programs to get their content into a game when they can be able to use Blender just the same if only they had support form the developers. Maybe Epic can provide an SDK so more advanced modders can make there own plugins for other programs, like what Valve did for HL2.

Comment

Originally posted by Xero View Post
              Maybe Epic can provide an SDK so more advanced modders can make there own plugins for other programs, like what Valve did for HL2.
              You win the forums prize for best UT3 idea imo.

Comment

I usually start a model of in AC3D, port it to Caligary.. works nice.. AC3D for it's simplicity, Caligary because I can export to UT.

Comment

Working...
                X