Brilliant Cross Platforming idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    True. It's going to be a disadvantage against controller players on the PS3. I used to own a lot of Q3A players on the Dreamcast with my PC. It was brutal. Only the few who actually shelled out for a keyboard and mouse had a chance, or did as I did, and rolled a copy of Q3A back to 1.16 to play.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No. The best and easiest solution, if we get realistic here is:
    PS3 players with SIXAXIS play vs eachother.
    IF a PS3 owner plugs in kb/m and wants to play vs PC players, he can join those servers at will.
    But PC players (and, as an option, PS3 kb/m users) shouldn't be able to join the regular PS3 games.

Later on, when the 360 version comes. Maybe they could merge that community with the PS3 one. Whatever. I just don't think PC users and people playing with a controller should play against eachother. Unless it's a deliberate choice from the guy with the controller.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Actually, I enjoy playing at about 80% running speed (when compared to the norm) just as much as the 100% of UT. I have the TweakTool mutator in 04 set to 80% running speed about 1/2 the time I play.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by intentsly View Post
    You think that PC players will want to play at one speed, let alone a slower one?
    People played on slow gamespeed servers all the time in UT... at least when I was still playing. Not really my thing, but OK for a lark.

LowGrav, Gamespeed 0.70, SniperArena CTF. Buddy of mine played that way too much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You think..

Originally posted by Rentage View Post
    Every version of UT has included the ability to alter the gamespeed by a slider bar. So is this possible? Yeah.

That said, I don't want to have to spend my time searching for a server that plays at standard speed, rather than a slowed-down PS3 server. Hybrid servers would just make it worse. If they're going to have cross-platform compatibility, then they NEED to have a standard speed for the game. Not PS3 speed / PC speed / half-and-half speed.
    You think that PC players will want to play at one speed, let alone a slower one? Perhaps a standard Cross Platform speed would be ok, but forget about nerfing anyone's speed!

Intentsly

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Every version of UT has included the ability to alter the gamespeed by a slider bar. So is this possible? Yeah.

That said, I don't want to have to spend my time searching for a server that plays at standard speed, rather than a slowed-down PS3 server. Hybrid servers would just make it worse. If they're going to have cross-platform compatibility, then they NEED to have a standard speed for the game. Not PS3 speed / PC speed / half-and-half speed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oops, wrong thread.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    3 different servers? Yes!

Originally posted by SweetTooth View Post
    3 different servers is a terrible idea because it wouldnt be cost effective in the slightest.
    Cost effective with virtualization. You don't have to have 3 physical servers anymore, these days. Virtualization allows for more than one server to run on the same server. So, you could have 3 different types of virtual servers running on one physical server easily. The only thing I don't know about is the performance level, but it is possible none the less.

(This is wide open to those, who deal with this stuff everyday, for clarification )

Though I will say I want to be able to play PC vs PC only. PS3 should have the same, and then perhaps, if it works, a means for Cross Platform play. Separate at first then integrate, FTW!

Intentsly

Leave a comment:

• replied
    3 different servers is a terrible idea because it wouldnt be cost effective in the slightest.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Brilliant Cross Platforming idea

Brilliant Cross Platforming idea

In a recent interview it was noted the that PS3 version plays slower due to the fact it uses the SixAxiS rather and the PC plays faster due to the fact it uses a mice and keyboard. That is one of the major obsticles for cross platforming.

You know what they should do for cross-platforming. Have 3 types of servers, PS3 speed, PC speed, Hybrid speed. Each server runs at its own "consoles" respective playing speed with hybrid running inbetween.

So if i was a playstation owner, and i want to play with a PC friend, i could either join a PC server and own him with my l33t skillz (even though im handicapped) or he could join a PS3 server and get owned by my l33t skillz again (even though he has advantage). Or we can both join a hybrid server and he could get owned evenly.

Of course PS3 or PC speed server could have restriction to prevent cross platforming so a Pro PC player wont just go into a PS3 server and own everybody.

PS: PC + Mouse support is enabled in PS3 version of UT3 right?
Working...
X