Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 importing maps

Hello All

I am a server admin of 4 UT servers and when UT3 comes out I have a plan.
    I want to make a Mod for ONS and import the maps from UT2k4 to UT3.

Question?
    With the new UT3 engine. Will the 2k4 maps be compatible?

I am sure I will find out about server specs when the demo comes out.
    With the computer parts prices falling. Its going to be fun to build a monster for UT3.

As far as I know, it will be a hell of work to port old maps, even 2k4 ones.

Comment

One would assume that, since EPIC caught so much flack regarding the scale problems with UT2kX, that they changed things. That, and higher gravity, shorter dodges, etc., the maps wouldn't work without having to be rebuilt.

I'm sure some of the more talented mappers might remake some of the more popular maps, but they'll never play exactly the same, and so some artistic license will be required (and that will lead to much whinging).

Good luck.

Comment

The UT community is very talented. I am sure after a year or two we will have many mods and maps for UT3 just like we have for UT2k4.

I am wanting to learn and help out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozinator View Post
          (1 )The UT community is very talented. (2) I am sure after a year or two we will have many mods and maps for UT3 just like we have for UT2k4.

I am wanting to learn and help out.
          1 thank u, but i don't mod/map yet

2 me too, i already want to learn now, but i lost all my CD's in 2005, when we moved. and i don't have any ut's anymore

Comment

In UEd3:
            Select all actors -> CTRL-C;
            then, in UEd4:
            CTRL-V. I think some of actors/ BSP / terrain will be copied, though without textures. Do not forget to delete oboslete actors that not applied to UT3 (it will be 90% so i think you may even not copy-paste actors)

At least how it worked from UT editor to UT2004. UT3 ay be different enough so it may not work.

Comment

Originally posted by ne_skaju View Post
              In UEd3:
              then, in UEd4:
              CTRL-V. I think some of actors/ BSP / terrain will be copied, though without textures. Do not forget to delete oboslete actors that not applied to UT3 (it will be 90% so i think you may even not copy-paste actors)

At least how it worked from UT editor to UT2004. UT3 ay be different enough so it may not work.
              Mark said not to call it Ued4

Comment

Originally posted by ne_skaju View Post
                In UEd3:
                then, in UEd4:

But just like going from UT to UT2k4, going from UT2k4 to UT3, even if it does work, doesn't give you good maps.

Comment

actually u cant copy and paste, it crashs the editor i know i tried

Comment

Even if it didn't crash the editor(s), the maps wouldn't be the proper scale for the new movement... although the outdoor stuff might be more forgiving than the indoor stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                      Even if it didn't crash the editor(s), the maps wouldn't be the proper scale for the new movement... although the outdoor stuff might be more forgiving than the indoor stuff.
                      I have seen people running around ONS maps without any knowledge in the art of dodge jumping, never heard them complaining about map scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
                        I have seen people running around ONS maps without any knowledge in the art of dodge jumping, never heard them complaining about map scale.
                        Dodge jumping was a great many things, but never an art.

We don't know how the new versions of the vehicles handle, or anything else. I think the odds of being able to easily cut 'n paste from UT2k4 maps into UT3 maps are quite slim.

Do note I won't be upset if I'm wrong... I just prefer things to be re-imagined instead of directly ported.

I'm done with UT2k4 (and it's maps) as soon as UT3 is installed. I don't mind familiar, I just don't want the same thing(s).

Comment

Working...
                        X