No announcement yet.

Penryn release near UT3 release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I going to have to upgrade my motherboard if I want a penryn chip?

My motherboard is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121016

Comment

whoa im using a core 2 dou mind you but i am still a amd fan, dont bash em. AMD Black Chips will be out later in the year, baby as easly as september with the newly refined 8086 rewrite of code and some other magic that they say will kill intel in all benchmarks even the magic video encoding bench that intel has won for years. they say its gonna be a 40% increase in power over intels chips. Give it time, this is the way the cpu market goes, remember how amd 64 chips trounced pentium 4's for almost 2 years. It goes back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by !NITRO! View Post
        Just heard it will be released next month....
        This is true. September 23rd.
        http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Prepa...rticle8467.htm

Comment

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
          whoa im using a core 2 dou mind you but i am still a amd fan, dont bash em. AMD Black Chips will be out later in the year, baby as easly as september with the newly refined 8086 rewrite of code and some other magic that they say will kill intel in all benchmarks even the magic video encoding bench that intel has won for years. they say its gonna be a 40% increase in power over intels chips. Give it time, this is the way the cpu market goes, remember how amd 64 chips trounced pentium 4's for almost 2 years. It goes back and forth.
          are you talking about Barcelona?

well, the best thing to do... wait and see. they can say all they want, but in the end, the truth is... all those "its gonna be a 40% increase in power over intels chips" are compared to older Intel chips... Intel does the same thing when comparing to AMD... the only difference is... the QuadFX (4x4) isn't as old (tech wise) as what AMD compared to. because of how AMD is implementing the "native" quad core... it isn't much different than QuadFX (supposedly) since all the cores use hypertransport interconnects... like i said... it's just best to wait and see.

that being said... i don't plan on upgrading that soon... and even if i did... i don't plan on it being AMD. so you can consider everything i've said as biased.

Comment

Engineering Sample Wolfdale benchmarks:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33GHz/4MB L2/1333MHz FSB)
            Intel Wolfdate ES Sample (2.33GHz/6MB L2/1333MHz FSB)

Gigabyte GA-P35T-DQ6 (P35 + ICH9R + DDR3)
            Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R (G33 + ICH9R)
            ADATA DDR3-1066 CL 6-6-6-18 1GB x 2

Code:
            Doom3               187.9    208.1    +10.75% 
            FarCry              114.91   126.95   +10.48% 
            F.E.A.R             259      281       +8.49% 
            Half-Life 2         132      181      +31.12% 
            Serious Sam 2       134.6    157.1    +16.72% 
            Divx 6.6 Alpha w/SSE4     
            1080p Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 69s     32s     +115.63%
            More benchies on this japanese site:
            http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/hwdb.php?ti...iew&rid=837360