Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penryn release near UT3 release

Well.. just a trail of thoughts...

UT3 coming out November... Penryn coming out Q4....

Wait for penryn to hit the shelves and build maps quicker, but maybe a bit later, in UED, or play the game as soon as it hits the shelves, being well prepared and having built ur new rig end of september?

Care to explain what Penryn is? Or maybe put a couple links in?

Comment

Alright, so Penryn, as I understand it, is an upcoming chip release from Intel? From what I read, it's intended for notebooks though. So I don't think Penryn is what you'd want.

What you're looking for is Wolfdale and Yorkfield.

Comment

Indeed, the desktop version of Intel Penryn 45nm cores are called Wolfdale (dual core) and Yorkfield (quad core). They are expected to be released in Q4 2007.

I think I will wait to see how well these new CPUs perform before I upgrade.

Comment

I'll buy my quad core q6600 2.6ghz with a 8800 GTS 640mgs and 2gig of ram without the end of august. The difference between the core 2 duo and the core 2 quad's not that big in $ so I don't take any chance

Comment

AMD get off your A$$!

I really wish AMD would give Intel some competition!

AMD's latest spin, is that "people don't want performance", they want to save money per cpu cycle. What a load, what an admittance to failure

Intentsly

Comment

Me too. sniff

I am not buying any new hardware til I see how this thing performs. Since it is the only game that really matters, it is the only benchmark I care about.

Comment

I think I'll decide what to do as soon as the game hits the shelves. Prolly set up a rig with a cheap processor awaiting the penryn to arrive. All the other stuff WILL be here..

I don't think I'll sit out the time if q4 is not specified any further at the end of q3.... but I do want the extra powerrrr

Comment

Actually I bit the bullet recently and forked out for a P35 chipset mobo: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...me=GA-P35-DS3P

Hope it turns out to be what I think it'll be, I just saw the price of the 1333mhz FSB chips and had to jump onboard especially since its got the 45nm support. Still waiting on it to arrive at the shop though so they can send my parts out, gah the suspense is killing me

Comment

There's an enthusiast mobo chipset that's going to be released at about the same time as the new processors. It's called the X38 and it's supposed to have more features than the P35 but either chipset is good for future upgrades because of the 45nm CPU and DDR3 support.

Comment

The mentioned mobo is a neat little one.. supporting both ddr2 and 3... You can game and wait for ddr3 to become more efficient

Comment

Yes im personally gonna wait aswell... see what kind of performance everyone is getting on the various hardware... im most likely gonna go with a quad core chip if i can afford it, and if not, a duel core lol.. but yes definately gonna try to get an 8800 if i can, even if it is just the 8800GS 320mb version for now

Comment

What a November... we'd probably get in the same month:
                          -UT3
                          -Crysis
                          -Vista SP1 to make it a worthwhile upgrade
                          -the new Intel CPU line with higher clocks
                          -the new NVidia graphic cards line

Anyone upgrading in september is wasting money, IMHO.

Comment

It's gonna be a sillicon Christmas this year....

Comment

Originally posted by Kold_ View Post
                              There's an enthusiast mobo chipset that's going to be released at about the same time as the new processors. It's called the X38 and it's supposed to have more features than the P35 but either chipset is good for future upgrades because of the 45nm CPU and DDR3 support.
                              Just heard it will be released next month....

Comment

Working...
                              X