UT3 Competitive mod feature wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Competitive mod feature wishlist

What I'm looking for here is a list of features that competitive players want available to them in some form of UT Comp type mod. Basically, what can you think of that will make the game easier to set up for match play?

A short list of ideas:
    -auto demorec
    -auto screenshot
    -warmup mode
    -map vote
    -better stats? if so, what should be included?

Other thoughts. I don't think there is any need to jump the gun and add brightskins or hit sounds. If it's really needed, it can be added later, but should be left out of initial planning.

Anyway, that's my question: What little things can you think of to add that would make setting up, playing and reporting matches easier? Of course, all of this assumes that Epic won't have some similar mod or set of options (But I doubt they will)

for example compamut

Comment

No brightskins for the love of God!

Comment

hitsounds

..yaya it was in quake and stuff... but its good. hitsounds rock !

Comment

/me thinks this thread will be deleted soon..but here goes anyways!

Just as long as the visibility issue is resolved and is acceptable to play with, then there is NO NEED for UTComp's modifications concerning brightskins. Even if the visibility issue is fixed though, I'd expect some whining anyways since most UTComp users are used to the glowing brightskins and rather ***** than adjust.

If everything is acceptable to play stock-wise, then we should make an effort to play in the traditional UT way of not using any mods whatsoever for competition, if any adjustments should be made it should only be done by adjusting the ingame stock game settings, map rotation list, etc. which are provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Roulette View Post
            -better stats? if so, what should be included?
            Accuracy instead of effinciency.

Comment

Here's my list:

-Just say no to Newnet or any other zero ping type mutator.

-For team matches, the scoreboard should not only reflect Red or Blue, but be able to display each team's name accordingly. No, clan tags in the player names do not count.

-To sort of piggyback off fueg, I'd like to see a pop-up accuracy/effectiveness mini-scoreboard HUD in Warmup. I'd like to know how accurate and effective I am while warming up, but I do not need to know the actual score. Should have a toggle on and off function, or maybe a temp on period of a few seconds. Should also be able to "dock' it in a corner or side of the screen out of primary view. To keep is small and simple, it could be tagged to the current weapon.

Comment

In UT99 the game worked quite well even for competitive players without brightskins and hitsounds. I think the keyword here is visibilty, if the player would be able to detect his opponents and see when he hits or not then there should be no problem, but if not ( like in UT2K3/UT2K4 ), then brightskins and hitsounds are defenitly necessary.

The rest of the things u mentioned should be in the game and not part of a competitive mod, the ability to see stats or vote map should be available for any player, competitive or not, warmup/autodemo/autoscreenshot is good a nice addition aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by GuntiNDDS View Post
                  hitsounds

..yaya it was in quake and stuff... but its good. hitsounds rock !
                  This is one thing I truly hate (even more than glowstick brightskins). Surely the whole point of being a decent player is being able to know when your damaging an opponent and when they are weak/likely to seek health etc. By adding hitsounds your basically being told the enemy is weakened, I see no skill in that.

Comment

deathmatch, in particular 1on1 has a wide field of skills, beginning on weapon spawn camping, shield camping, precision, perception (knowing were you enemy is/might go) / "reading your enemy", evading a situation when low on health, ..

adding hitsounds does not make the game less skillfull, it just shifts how weightned the different skills are against each other. with hitsounds, both players gain an instrument, that tells them how much damage they have done - this is particular practical for weapons that can do a wide-variaty of damage like the flak-primary.

this instrument is used by both participants, and changes how different skills act togehter, and how the gameplay strategy evolves.

i have played many 1 on 1 games on a competetive level in the past years, both with and without hitsounds/brightskinns and from that experience i can tell that they have no influence on the overall level of skill required. likewise with instagib, which apart from popular believe, is not less skilled as nw aswell, again it just shifts the different skills in the game to a different angle.

Comment

It looks like the player blinks when you hit them.. No need for hitsounds.

Comment

Bright skins and stupid hitsounds is a no no.

Comment

Originally posted by ziadoz View Post
                          This is one thing I truly hate (even more than glowstick brightskins). Surely the whole point of being a decent player is being able to know when your damaging an opponent and when they are weak/likely to seek health etc. By adding hitsounds your basically being told the enemy is weakened, I see no skill in that.
                          It promotes team play. You can tell someone on your team the kind of damage you have inflicted and they can act accordingly. Hitsounds are good for team play and there is nothing better than the head-shot thunk

Comment

I really don't think we need to rehash the skins and sounds debates. For the moment, I'm assuming that those issues will have to be dealt with after the game is released and we've actually gotten a feel for if those features are needed or not.

Right now, I'm just looking for idea on expanded features that would be useful for league and ladder play.

Comment

auto demorec
                              auto screenshot
                              better scoreboard
                              hitsounds
                              brightskins (only if the game is too dark)
                              a better demo playback program (one that actually works properly this time)
                              UTV that works properly

Comment

Working...
                              X