Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movable slow volume cubes would be hilarious.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icewind View Post
    When was it ever carved in stone that chatting and performing crazy stunts is more fun than beating the opposing team with solid teamwork in a competitive match?

Stop thinking your definition of fun is more valid because it requires less effort. Casual gaming is not per definition more fun than competitive gaming.
    Loosen up. He's right.

Comment

Who knows perhaps you have to get one of those orb things and run it over to some hole and then you can get a special vehicle with the slow volume. I know that is for warfare but I don’t see why they couldn’t set that up for vCTF and maybe they have. Pure speculation on my part. So unless someone wants to take the time to go do that it’s pretty much regular old vCTF. However it works I like the idea that Epic is trying to shake things up and trying to introduce new things into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia y Vega View Post
        Probably be dealt with like all the other gimmicky parts to UT, removed from competitive play, just like deemer in ons.
        true, and obvious. but, I also mean how we'll see them to work out on pubs. What kind of 'newbish' and 'pr0' things we see. like, putting it on the flag and camping and other stuff like that. it'll be interesting to see what people will do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Minimaul View Post
          like, putting it on the flag and camping and other stuff like that.
          If you watch the videos from the comic con 2007, you will see, that is EXACTLY what it is for.

Perhaps the dislike that the "pro" and "competitive" community seem to carry with them is due to how snobby, condescending and judgmental the "pros" act, especially toward features they have never tried in person in an unreleased game and to newer players (I understand hostility to console players though).

I don't want to label EVERYBODY in the "pro" community this way, but there is no denying, there are a lot of people like that and we have stereotypes for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by durtytarget View Post
            Or maybe you should stop judging videos and go to school and work and when the demo comes, play it, cry with happiness after seeing how good it is!

Whiners, Have you even seen much of it? Haven't you heard it's tactical/strategical use for making the game not just a hit and run or touch and run like a relay race sort of thing.

Things like these are what differentiate it from typical free for all/ capture the flag games. In this generation, Capture the flag has become so extremely common, do you even know the enormity of the situation. Thats why epic is trying to divert from the typical as well as boring form of the usual touch flag, then run to base.. then repeat... then repeat. Putting a twist can allow you to play the same map consecutively without finding it monotonous.
            Perhaps you should spend more time at school, I'm well past that age! Obviously you like it and I don't and I certainly don't have to wait for any demo to know how stupid this thing is going to be. I haven't just judged this on any videos, it doesn't take much brains to visualize the concept of this slow volume in UT3. It is a childish idea just like a lot of mods for the UT and 2K series and will be a big flop just like the gametype bombing run was in the 2K series. Gimmicky things should be left for children only games, it is a ploy used to suck parents into buying them! Perhaps with all the children hanging around here, Epic might be leaning that way with some of there development stategies!

Comment

I agree gargoris. Didn't epic removed the shield gun so that people stopped playing defensively and play the game with fast passed attacks... To me.. the slow volume is like bringing the shield gun back... its another defensive weapon that gives someone a greater advantage over the person in it... this removes the fast passed 1 on 1 scenario that would have occurred if that cube was not in place..

now people guarding flags are going to hide, hear the flag taken sound and pop out to find the enemy slowly moving though then POW!
              I WILL REMOVE THIS FROM ALL MAPS I LIKE IF THIS OCCURS.. I see no need for this in UT.
              I hope it wont be in the classic CTF game type.

Comment

Sigh. Case and point.

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
                  Gimmicky things should be left for children only games
                  Does that include the translocator?

There's no pleasing a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
                    Perhaps you should spend more time at school, I'm well past that age! Obviously you like it and I don't and I certainly don't have to wait for any demo to know how stupid this thing is going to be. I haven't just judged this on any videos, it doesn't take much brains to visualize the concept of this slow volume in UT3. It is a childish idea just like a lot of mods for the UT and 2K series and will be a big flop just like the gametype bombing run was in the 2K series. Gimmicky things should be left for children only games, it is a ploy used to suck parents into buying them! Perhaps with all the children hanging around here, Epic might be leaning that way with some of there development stategies!
                    LOL I can't believe you think it's childish my dimwitted friend.(No wonder, your imagination sucks)

Ok then tell me what is a non- childish game and tell me the reason for it being "NOT CHILDISH". Then I will prove to you that it is a childish game the same stupid non-rational way you just simply said that slow volume would be childish.

What reason do you have to tell me to go to school more?(Very strange)

PS: Do you have any non childish ways of developing strategy? If you are so sure that epic is making childish strategies, do tell me a good strategy thats not childish. Oh ofcourse you would say "Lets introduce the desire to go to the washroom. The we can spread some indigestion gas near the flag so the people have to go to the washroom when they reach the flag." Thats a good idea right? lol

Comment

Originally posted by bazzwano View Post
                      I agree gargoris. Didn't epic removed the shield gun so that people stopped playing defensively and play the game with fast passed attacks... To me.. the slow volume is like bringing the shield gun back... its another defensive weapon that gives someone a greater advantage over the person in it... this removes the fast passed 1 on 1 scenario that would have occurred if that cube was not in place..

now people guarding flags are going to hide, hear the flag taken sound and pop out to find the enemy slowly moving though then POW!
                      I WILL REMOVE THIS FROM ALL MAPS I LIKE IF THIS OCCURS.. I see no need for this in UT.
                      I hope it wont be in the classic CTF game type.

The orginal UT was mutch more defensive than UT2kx even with teh shield gun.

The slow volume IMO looks a bit un natural, like a weird jelly cube, it should be shaped like a dome IMO.

Comment

Do you people not see this happening???:
                        Now people guarding flags are going to deply the slow vol on flag then hide, and when they hear the flag taken sound, they will pop out to find the enemy slowly moving though then POW!

This is my only concern with it... I think it has been overlooked

Comment

Now people guarding flags are going to deply the slow vol on flag then hide, and when they hear the flag taken sound, they will pop out to find the enemy slowly moving though then POW!

I actually think the guys a Epic made the slow volume with such a situation in mind.

A lot of you people seriously need to stop whining and just wait for the demo to see first hand if it's a good feature or not.

Obviously we are not going to like everything about a game. We all have different tastes but don't forget this is Epic's game not yours.
                          Everywhere I look they are people complaining about one feature or another and mostly for reasons like:
                          -UT99 didn't have this
                          -this is not how UT is supposed to be
                          -this is useless for serious competitive players
                          -it kills classic UT gameplay
                          -it's childish because people will goof around with etc
                          -I just don't like it because it's different
                          -blah blah blah

Hello people this is UT3! The game has evolved. Get with the times or get left behind.

Comment

Agreed, but it has not been over looked. It is intentional.

20 sec into this video, Jeff Morris says
                            Originally posted by Jeff Morris
                            You can go out and drop this slow volume, which is this huge cube that will slow anything that goes through it, people weapon fire what have you, you go and drop that on a flag, you drop that on a critical area, we knew it was like ut, we tried all this crazy **** and it just did not feel like [ut],

UT is a fast action game, we dont have death queues ... Carnage carnage carnage zero time to spectical. A lot of stuff we tried just interfered with that. The slow volume it was cool though, we would put it there and we would see this guy come walking up to it, look around cause he knew he was venerable but he would take the plunge any way and get sniped from a distance.
                            Sounds to me like he wants you to camp the flag with this slow volume.

Comment

Umm, watch the videos. Thats exactly what it's for. The same arguments can be made against the outrageously bright skins and hitsounds in the "competitive" community.

And you're forgetting something. It's not like players will have a "slow volume gun" where they can just fire a slow volume wherever they want in whatever map they want. Most likely it will be some kind of map specific power up where only one or two can be active or something, and again likely, it will probably expire after a certain amount of time or when the person that deployed it is killed. And yet another possibility is that it can only be used once, or like a superweapon, it takes a very long time to regenerate once used.

Comment

There is one slow volume deployable per map for each team. When the person who deployed the slow volume dies the slow volume goes away.

So, basically:

You hoverboard towards the enemy base; hop off and shoot some fools. Run into the base, see the slow volume on the flag. go around a corner and see two guys. Kill one 'cause he wasn't paying attention. Kill the other that just happens to be carrying your flag. Then return your flag and look to see that the slow volume is gone because the dude who deployed it is dead! Grab their flag, making your way back to your base. Kill. Cap. Win. Chicks. Money.

Comment

Working...
                                X