No announcement yet.

I worry for the AI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT has always had some of the best AI around for FPS games.. I highly doubt UT3 will be any different.
    Sure bots cheat a little, it's inevitable really.
    I'm usually an online only player, but I will as usual start with some single player to get the hang of it.

Comment

I hope epic had put more effort into the AI than its pretty graffix. However, I doubt that

The AI in 2k4 is pretty **** good and is enjoyable for me to play offline. I usually just open up a few rounds at a time to play and thats it. Better than for me to deal with asshats, haxxors and exploit abusers online...... and i'm not saying this to everyone.

The flaws I have mentioned before about the AI are these and hope to see them fixed.

1) Ons being the main target no matter how far away you are or being surround by a mass of your teamates. You are always the target!

2) Bots that exit vehicles for just no reason and leaving them stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

3) Ive noticed in certain areas that bots tend to get stuck with vehicles and just sit there inside.

4) Bots that dont heal nodes and just walk around the node while your trying to heal it. They should be linking up.

5) the annoying 'magnetic' link gun alt fire on your ***. no matter how hard you try to avoid this, youre dead!

What I would also like to see are more command lists for bots. Telling them to exit a vehicle for you to use and also telling them to stay out a vehicle that you are in, like the hellbender for example. Maybe a small radius of you that whatever vehicle or anything manned you can give the command that you are closest to. I think this should be easy.

Comment

The buggs ive seen in 2k4 about bots are:

1) In CTF bots always know where the opponent flag carrirer is (usually its me ) And nomatter what i do to hide me they still find me like i have some kind of becon on my asss

2)Bots the auto turrets. In ONS torlan i was in base tower with avirl and bot made me complete hit with tank shell at node 2. I didint even saw the tank. Also when bot is in turret i camped in hill, dont remember the map name. Human player would have no chanche that he would see me, but when i turend my head out bot made headshot with turret to me. How did he know that i was there?

3) Usually bots dont like certain vechiels it means that they dont pick em like scorpion, instead getting good transport they just walk away, also sometimes bots run away with hellbender without a gunner and charge to battle.

4) Annoyng taunts and pointless messeages, like im in position, come on who gives a ****. Also making same taunts all the time in each kill is so lame. Sometimes they yell incoming but i wonder where ? But bots never use advanced commands at least i havent seen,like base is undefended and so on. I hope bots in ut3 tell reasnoble stuff that are useful for me and team. And pleace no massive taunt war.

Thats all for know :P

Comment

Some of the issues mentioned here are pathing problems... which I guess is an AI issue... which is a map problem.

Remember that, all you budding your modders... a map isn't ready to be released until the bot pathing is complete!!

Comment

Guys, ever heard of surround sound? In UT2004, you can hear a rocket coming from you from behind. I dodge things at my back all the time. You can do that in real life.

I love UT2004 bots. They're consistent, I control their numbers, and they like to play the game the way it was shipped not modded up the wazooh. And they don't lag or hate. I just find my fair bot difficulty, and push myself to beat them every time.

Comment

Originally posted by jbizzler View Post
              Guys, ever heard of surround sound? In UT2004, you can hear a rocket coming from you from behind. I dodge things at my back all the time. You can do that in real life.
              I can appreciate that but when I am standing at the top of the jumppad(that leads to the rockets) in Campgrounds and fire missle straight down at a bot near the amp and he knows exactly which way to move without looking then to me its just a bit obvious he just "knows" and is a bot.

Comment

You want them to program the bot AI to look like they're looking around? That's more immersion than I need, but to each their own I guess.

Comment

MMmm that always annoyed me about bots. they really should only be programmed to react to things in their line of sight.... though that would make them overly stupid.
                  i mean you "Could" hear a rocket moving towards you i guess. and if your real fast you can spin around and get a look at where players are and then use rabbit tactics to make sure that your not a sitting duck.. but.. but yeah.. hard to make em more realisitc.

Hmmm AI is going to be a real problem if someone wants to make a Mellee fighting mod with combos and stuff aint it?:/

Comment

I'm not really worried about the bot AI as 95% of the time I play the game will be online. If I'm going to get owned I'd rather it be from a human than a bot (**** you Loque, I hate you!).

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                      You want them to program the bot AI to look like they're looking around? That's more immersion than I need, but to each their own I guess.
                      lol... well, I guess looking up would be nice but not exactly what I meant. It just seems that when bots are engaged in a fight and facing away this small flaw shows itself. Instead of getting grazed or even hit with a rocket they just side step and ignore me since they are fighting with someone else.

Optimal choice for bot ai to make would be to see it duck through a doorway where I cant fire like most people would do. Doesnt have to look up or fire back but if I hear rockets coming I move and keep moving. Instead of just far enough out of the splash damage range.

Comment

Im one of the UT players that have never played a human player... I only play bots... I WANT THEM HARD! ifs its easy then it will be boring.. that's what's fun about bots.. The reason I liked UT99 better was because the bots were harder.. and making them easier to kill will just destroy the game for people like me even more...

I admit there are some things with the bots that arnt good such as forcing the bots to attack the human over bot enemy's.. and when you shoot at them in objective based games they don't even shoot back allot of the time.. this distroyed UT gaming for me and I've be waiting for UT3 since then...

In terms of what u have said about dodging rockets coming from behind... WHY NOT??? if you herd a rocket fire and didn't see where it was fired from are you just going to stand put??? NO!!! Think about things in real terms and Please don't give Epic reason to destroy the bots again... I've waited to long for this it'd hate to wait for a UT4 because bots were to easy to kill.

You know if you don't shoot bots you can still sneak up on them from behind.. just imagine if u shoot they hear you and react that's how it should be

Comment

Originally posted by bazzwano View Post
                          You know if you don't shoot bots you can still sneak up on them from behind.. just imagine if u shoot they hear you and react that's how it should be
                          Maybe they have their ingame music activated?

Comment

This is the most important and difficult part of programming an AI in my mind. As you rightly point out, AI's in ut2004 are all seeing. They'll fire at your vehicle in a raptor from a distance through the fog and hit. They'll spin their tank turret round and nail your manta, with you approaching silently and on an unusual route.

They don't use sound. They just have full awareness.

Stalker is a good example of a game where they limit awareness. But snipe a teammate right next to them and if you aren't in their field of view, the AI will sit there and do nothing. Or they'll run in a straight line right past you, despite you only being a few degrees out of their field of vision (they don't look left and right when running.)

Finding the happy medium is no easy task. It would be brilliant if Epic manage it - because nobody else has.

Epic don't have stalker's problem of setting awareness levels, and have AI's sit around drinking coffee. But if they make fine targetting only allowable if a player is in their field of vision, have higher level bots bots generally look left and right when they move from place to place, and only look, not immediately target when they have a threat cue such as a noise or damage, that would be more human.

Comment

Originally posted by eduardvictor View Post
                              You will, eventually, at least out of curiosity...

Don't forget, they said the singleplayer will have one or 2 vehicles not used in mp, and some extra weapons, 2...
                              if they are interesting enought they will be in 3rd party maps pretty soon

Comment

Working...
                              X