I worry for the AI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worry for the AI.

I tried searching so . Apparently you cant search under four letters so "Bot AI" isnt searchable.

Anyway, I was playing some 2K4 the other day and was watching this bot facing away, fighting another bot and he moved just enough out of the way without even looking my way as I fired rockets at him.

Now, I know its bot AI but I really hope we see something better in UT3. Totally breaks immersion for me.

I dont really care about AI as long as the game is balanced and fun, aint gonna play UT3 against bots ya know. :\

I'm pretty sure its gonna be good enough and an improvment over UT2K4 if that really concerns you.

Comment

Oh, I think it will be great and expect to spend my fair share of time online but I do enjoy a quick game or two offline to practice a bit or enjoy my favorite map. Having great AI just makes it that much more enjoyable.

Comment

Didnt thay say they would be better then UT04's?

Its not like the Bots in UT04 sucked, I still play them offline all the time, still fun. Some of the best Bots ive seen. ofcourse there not perfect tho.

Comment

UT2k4 already had "great" AI compared to other games, Obviously AI is going to improve over UT3 but generally AI was never a problem in UT series imo. Personally, I cant see myself playing more then 3 min of a "serious" game against bots, if i play offline i do it to check maps/settings and ofcourse ill spend some time checking the new game offline but beyond that? mm..no.

but as i said AI is the last thing that should concern you in UT3.

Comment

I haven't had a lot of experience about bots, i have a question, me and my fiance play ps3 games all the time, do you know if we can both go online with a split screen or at least do two player off line against the bots.

Comment

This has been answered before, Bot AI in 2k4 was never great, it's pretty much IF THIS --> DO THIS type of coding. The games AI is capable of doing much more, but was never used by Epic. IMO it's got very poor AI, dodging every projectile (even when not facing them) got boring real quick. Being always the primary target for bots was a very poor concept in then AI.

Epic states that UT3 will have much better AI and is aimed a lot more towards offline play this time round. We can only hope they don't add stupid code to make the AI look harder.

Originally posted by Madridista View Post
              but as i said AI is the last thing that should concern you in UT3.
              It should be the first, there a far more offline players then online. The amount of copies sold to the amount of online players proves this. The AI in 2k4 is my guess the reason why the game didn't keep it's worth offline. Nobody wants to play a game where the AI is stupid on low skills and well IMO impossilbe on high skills.

How about a balance this time for bot ai, so us people who don't want to put up with online players *****n' about being killed can have something decent to play!

Comment

So long as bots are disabled by default in online games I'll be happy. Let's leave the bot AI enabled for offline play.

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixJCE View Post
                  I haven't had a lot of experience about bots, i have a question, me and my fiance play ps3 games all the time, do you know if we can both go online with a split screen or at least do two player off line against the bots.
                  There will be a co-op mode, so yes you will be able to play split screen.

Comment

aint gonna play UT3 against bots ya know. :\
                    Um, yes you are...

Ut 3 has an actual STORYLINE, remember?

Comment

One thing about artificial intelligence development for games that most people fail to understand is that bots are programmed to take advantage of every aspect of the environment they are in, which includes sounds within the environment around them.

Simply put, the bot heard your rocket launcher, analyzed the threat, and acted accordingly. As it should have.

Comment

Who said im gonna play the single player eduard? :O

It should be the first, there a far more offline players then online. The amount of copies sold to the amount of online players proves this. The AI in 2k4 is my guess the reason why the game didn't keep it's worth offline. Nobody wants to play a game where the AI is stupid on low skills and well IMO impossilbe on high skills.
                        so it should concern the offline players , as far as i know 99% of the members here are mainly online players and shouldent care too much about things like Bot AI or single player game in my opinion, you see my point, UT series was always mostly about online play, so personaly i care mostly about things like gameplay balance and fun.

UT2K4 sucked offline mainly because it meant to be an online game and not because of the AI. The single-player was just a "random" instant-action and nothing more then that and it was pretty boring tbh, and playing vs bots in instant action, as smart as they can get, gets boring much faster then playing against humans.

Comment

That's only your opinion Madridista.

Again, more players play offline than online.

It's far from 99% online play. Stop pulling out random numbers and 'facts' from various cavities.

Comment

Who said im gonna play the single player eduard? :O
                            You will, eventually, at least out of curiosity...

Don't forget, they said the singleplayer will have one or 2 vehicles not used in mp, and some extra weapons, 2...

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                              That's only your opinion Madridista.

Again, more players play offline than online.

It's far from 99% online play. Stop pulling out random numbers and 'facts' from various cavities.
                              Ofcourse its only my opinion.

I'd say stop putting words that i didnt said into my mouth, maybe? I said i personally dosent care about single player game aspects because im an online player and i belive that most of the members HERE are online players too, i said they should care more about gameplay and balance imo.

for the ones that plays offline it's gotta be important and i added that personally i've seen no problem with UT&UT2Kx bot AI and if UT3 AI should be even better then i dont see any problem for them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X