Handicap Features?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handicap Features?

As a handicap gamer with the ability to only use one hand, I would like to know if there are going to be any handicap features in UT3? I'm tired of games being made without consideration for people with disabilities, for some these games are one of the few things they can do for enjoyment. So I'm here today asking if you haven't already planned on having handicap features in the game would you add handicap features to the game? Thank you for your time. Have a good day.

What sort of features are you envisioning?

I have full use of both my hands and I often having difficulty keeping up with the more skilled players.

I would suspect that specialized controllers would be the most obvious route to take, but I don't know what is available. It's a niche market, but a growing one.

What can EPIC do to make it easier to get the hardware you need to play online?

Comment

I havent heard about this yet, but I think, that the handicap features could be very easily "abused" in the multiplayer. There is no problem imho in the singleplayer to do it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
        As a handicap gamer with the ability to only use one hand, I would like to know if there are going to be any handicap features in UT3? I'm tired of games being made without consideration for people with disabilities, for some these games are one of the few things they can do for enjoyment. So I'm here today asking if you haven't already planned on having handicap features in the game would you add handicap features to the game? Thank you for your time. Have a good day.
        What type of hanidcap are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregori View Post
          What type of hanidcap are you talking about?
          The OP said;

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
          As a handicap gamer with the ability to only use one hand...
          ... does it matter much beyond that?

Comment

UT has allways been very configurable (alltou some folks in another thread are trying to stop it). By using adequate controls, for example multi-button mouse and floor pedals, combined with some advanced key binding (the community is allways eager to help out with that ) it should be possible to get a pretty playable setup.

Would be interesting to hear what specific requirements there is. The built in voice recognition is mabe something that could be used to increase the support for handicapped?

Comment

Which hand? If you can use your left hand, you can program a Nostromo N52 to play any game, including shooters.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=157024

Comment

I guess you just need a mouse with a ****load of buttons. Looking at my logitech G5, I could imagine playing with one hand if it had a button on each side of the mouse for strafing with thumb and pinky, a few more buttons near the scroll wheel for move forward/back. The beuty in a game like this is that aiming is the same as navigating - you aim left, you turn left. The only actual software handicap feature I can imagine is voice activated controls, which really would only be useful for weapon shifting, and even then you have the scroll wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                  The OP said;

... does it matter much beyond that?
                  My bad. I can't imagine what Epic can really do for one handedness

Comment

Some sort of system that uses foot activated keys instead of a keyboard would help. Again, not an Epic thing, but rather a input device thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snafu View Post
                      Which hand? If you can use your left hand, you can program a Nostromo N52 to play any game, including shooters.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=157024
                      That exactly what I thought of too.

Comment

If right hand, a MX518 + 2 or 3 foot pedals. Could be a solution for chain smokers too. =)

Comment

I have a Nostromo n52, and as much as I like it, you still need a mouse (or something equivalent) to aim.

Comment

I can only use my right hand. Currently I'm using This
                            to play. I think Epic could make a feature that the user could turn on where if he or she pressed a certain button for so long or pressed it so many times it would keep using that button. I also think Epic could possible partner with some companies such as Logitech or any other company and possible get the to make devices with the handicap in mind. My post was never intended for only people that can only use one hand, but for everyone with disabilities. Surely if Epic can make great games that are as fun as they are to play they can make them so handicap people can play them too.

Comment

the best thing would be voice commands, a mouse and a footpad (walk with footpad and strave with side buttons mouse, switch wpns with scroll, aim and fire with mouse and jump with footpad)

Comment

Working...
                              X