This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limits for ini edition

For the UT3 we will have mysterious editions of INI?

Today we have a UT2004 with many possibilities in the INI edition, but many players do not know them and are in disadvantage. The situation is almost as if each player created its proper UT. We have alterations as Rolloff, Sound Steps Off, Ambient Sounds Off, command of loss and lag, different netspeed for each movements keyboard keys of and much more. Many things that they only can be modified by the INI edition.

Most of players lives playing and thinking that they are being victims of its opponents “professionals of INI editons”. The reason for this? The victims does not know what they are making in its inis. I desire that UT3 with these things, but with limits, or then all clearly divulged to all. Perhaps a menu with more advanced options is the better way.

It is not possible that with 2 years playing UT still we discover surprises regarding this currently. Equality of conditions is a premise for the game success.

What the community UT thinks regarding this?

honestly i feel that theres no reason to hurt the people that like doing because the ones that dont are either to lazy to do it or too lazy to read how to do it.

Comment

I'm sure u can type 'preferences' in the console and it will open up your ini in a nice easy to edit format.
      It's a good point tho, most players will not know how to do that either.
      Maybe it should be a button (maybe with a warning attached), and in there should be ALL possible settings which can then be changed.
      Even tho I know how to edit an INI, I would still rather have an in-game way of changing the settings.

Comment

Learning new stuff after 3 years is a good thing. Sure some settings could be made more visible, but limiting stuff is a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
          Learning new stuff after 3 years is a good thing. Sure some settings could be made more visible, but limiting stuff is a bad idea.
          If all clearly divulged to all by Epic or perhaps a menu with more advanced options is the better way and no more settings. All in menu !

The idea is not to have hidden things !

By yourself, each player could make all its game settings, without depending on “hidden” knowledge in foruns …

Comment

I think UT3 might be nerfed enough, but i do want the same or more ini options but with easy access for all.

Comment

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
              honestly i feel that theres no reason to hurt the people that like doing because the ones that dont are either to lazy to do it or too lazy to read how to do it.
              How about the fact that there is no documentation with the game relating to the .ini? You can hardly call a person lazy if they do not visit a UT related website to get this kind of info. Also, I know a lot of players who consider "tweaking the .ini" a form of cheating. Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but I can certainly see their point of view. If a setting cannot be modified in the menu system or console, it should not be allowed to be modified.

There should be no reason for any player to modify the .ini file, but most of us know how limited the menu settings are. Why not have a super-advanced menu selection for those who want to refine their setup?

Many competitive players talk of brightskins and such that are needed to level the playing field, yet they are the most likely candidates to modify their .ini. In order to "level" the playing field, why not remove the ability to modify the .ini and put most or all of those advanced settings into the menu? It makes things more on the up and up.

Comment

Please, Epic games would see this subject seriously for UT3. The players cannot be being victims with editions.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                  In order to "level" the playing field, why not remove the ability to modify the .ini and put most or all of those advanced settings into the menu? It makes things more on the up and up.
                  I agree that more settings should be made visible, and there is no technical problem in doing so. Removing options and lock down the tweaking possibilitys are totally wrong thou.

To begin with, there are NO ini tweaks you can do that gives you a major advantage vs other players. It's not like you can hax and cheat in the ini's, it just changes the values that are loaded when u start up ut.

The advantage is that you can tweak your playing experience into something that fits your personal taste and preferences and allso get the game to run better on your hardware. Especially the last mentioned should be made more visible or handeled by the game automaticly.

Is it so wrong if someone is genuinely interested in a game and gain the knowledge about what tweaks is possible? Should the uninterested, lazy and illitterate set the standard for what can be done in a game? It's not like there is any big secrets, 3 minutes of googling and you have all the info you need in the form of tutorials and guides.

I use force model, have turned off my foot steps and enabled player highlighting. I've set player unlit and rolloff to 0.4. I don't consider this any more haxy then setting weapon hand hidden in Player menu or changing my crosshairs to something that doesn't take up the whole screen and turning of gore, music etc. So yes, please make the options reachable from the menus, but don't remove options a la q4 ftlog.

Comment

ini editing is what makes UT great. If the people don't want to put in the minimal effort to learn how to do it (a mere google search), then i doubt they should really be caring if others are doing it.

Everyone has the ability to edit the ini, and the vast majority of competitve players have a few different named user ini's in there folder. I have three separate setups myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul View Post
                      ini editing is what makes UT great. If the people don't want to put in the minimal effort to learn how to do it (a mere google search), then i doubt they should really be caring if others are doing it.

Everyone has the ability to edit the ini, and the vast majority of competitve players have a few different named user ini's in there folder. I have three separate setups myself.
                      My friend, with all respect, is incredible that you can think thus. UT must be great for many other reasons, like HONEST game play and HF.

Sorry but is not great. I know much thing, but not use. But many use!

I would hate to play with advantage on my opponent, my victory would be lesser in these circumstances. On the other hand, it would hate that they also made this with me.

Comment

This topic is a tricky one. Some people like to mess with the .ini to gain advantage over their opponents, others access it to gain performance and playability in crappy PCs.

I think the .ini should be locked.
                        Any changes to the game must be accessible through menus. That's the only way to have a fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by Loco_br View Post
                          My friend, with all respect, is incredible that you can think thus. UT must be great for many other reasons, like HONEST game play and HF.

Sorry but is not great. I know much thing, but not use. But many use!

I would hate to play with vantangem on my opponent, my victory would be lesser in these circumstances. On the other hand, it would hate that they also made this with me.
                          huh?

Vinnie
                          All people can do it. It is not some super secret hack. It is an easily changeable, easily researched feature of UT. You can d/l the ini's of many top players from various sites.

it is not ini tweaks from your opponents that are making you lose or ruining your fun, perhaps you should ask around to get better?

Comment

its a double standard really though, everyone agrees that the ability to modify most of ut in it self is one of the biggest features but then people want **** locked out.

Heres a better idea make a page online about ini efeatures and how to edit. And if people want to edit theres they can. Otherwise if they dont care then screw em,

Comment

To begin with, there are NO ini tweaks you can do that gives you a major advantage vs other players. It's not like you can hax and cheat in the ini's, it just changes the values that are loaded when u start up ut.

A Flagcarrier can be able to use command of netspeed alteration associated the keyboard keys while in movement. This makes difficult frag the flagcarrier. Additionally has players that make tickjumps without using the correct and necessary numbers of keyboard keys to make trickjump.

Also that is possible to add packtLOSS its connection. I see inis with very low volume sound of some weapons .

If this "hidden" tweaks give or not advantages ? For me, has no doubts.

And have more.

Comment

Working...
                              X