Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Games For Windows Live

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

console vs. pc could spawn whole new realms of fun/competition and keep the community larger/longer/more active...

Comment

I'm sorry, but I bought Shadowrun, and now, really wish I could sell it due to the horrible "cross-platform" experience I've been having.

Not saying the game is bad per se, but just trying to play it even with "Gold" membership is a chore. In UT2k4, I can load the game and be online in less than a minute. In Shadowrun, it usually takes at least 4-5 minutes, and sometimes I have to sign off and try again later when there's no open online games.

Comment

Originally posted by chu::LOB:: View Post
        console vs. pc could spawn whole new realms of fun/competition and keep the community larger/longer/more active...
        Not sure fun is the right word...

Comment

Very good to hear, Mark, thanks a lot.

Comment

Good stuff, GfW ftl.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rein View Post
              UT3 does not use Games for Windows LIVE. We have not decided about cross platform play between PC and PS3. We're not 100% sure that users want that feature but if we get time we'll play around with it and see how it works. In the mean time we plan to be able to serve the PS3 from PC servers so that should help us gets lots of great servers going.
              Mark, could'nt you just leave that decision up to the communties by having a game server option that filters who (PS3/PC) can connect and what controller scheme restrictions (if any) that applies to the game session?

That would also make the decision to include, say PS3 M/K controlling, less likely to stir up the old controller debate. One could just browse and connect to the servers that floats one's boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.UglyPants View Post
                thank god its not game for Games for windows Live, alot of Unreal fans would be pissed if they had to upgrade to vista just to play UT3 (myself included.)
                GFWL already has enough problems without people spreading lies about it. GFWL runs on XP.

Comment

I think the community as a whole has already made it clear the time necessary to make such a thing work good isn't worth it.

If the collision boxes for meshes are larger on consoles to help performance, and character movement is also slower, do you think a guy that just spent over $2000 on his PC wants to be limited by that $400 or $600 console?

I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by void View Post
                    Mark, could'nt you just leave that decision up to the communties by having a game server option that filters who (PS3/PC) can connect and what controller scheme restrictions (if any) that applies to the game session?

That would also make the decision to include, say PS3 M/K controlling, less likely to stir up the old controller debate. One could just browse and connect to the servers that floats one's boat.
                    If it was free, I'm sure they would. It is however, not free. It takes staff time and company resources (and therefore money) to make these things work.

They, in my opinion, would want to know that they were getting something out of it in terms of customer usage, etc., before they make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoudazo View Post
                      I'm sorry, but I bought Shadowrun, and now, really wish I could sell it due to the horrible "cross-platform" experience I've been having.

Not saying the game is bad per se, but just trying to play it even with "Gold" membership is a chore. In UT2k4, I can load the game and be online in less than a minute. In Shadowrun, it usually takes at least 4-5 minutes, and sometimes I have to sign off and try again later when there's no open online games.
                      That's not a cross-platform thing, that's a Shadowrun thing. It's match-making is super-slow. I think not a lot of people play it as well, so it takes a while to find a good server.

In Halo 2 it'd take quite some time as well, but most of the console world didn't mind. I did becasue I'm so so used to the quickness of UT2004 like you said.

Gears of War, finding a match is my worst complaint. It takes like three tries to actually connect to a server for me, and when I do, usually the host quits because his friends didn't make it into the match. PC community is simply more in-tune with how long it takes them to start playing.

It might just be a Live thing. I'm sure if they let PS3 players browse through PC server lists, they'd connect just as fast as we do with UT2004.

Comment

I think the community as a whole has already made it clear the time necessary to make such a thing work good isn't worth it.
                        Surely, it will not drain that much resources to make a game server host option and a corresponding PS3/PC game client browser filter. I mean really - this is as basic as coding goes and the easiest and most complete solution that makes sure everyone can have it their way. So again, let the community decide and let Epic show the way for consoles to do this stuff - without the silly windows live poop.

If the collision boxes for meshes are larger on consoles to help performance, and character movement is also slower, do you think a guy that just spent over $2000 on his PC wants to be limited by that $400 or $600 console?

I don't think so.
                        Well, don't do consoles any favours if they are connected to a game session with mixed (pc & ps3) clients. If they wan't auto-aim, and other console treats they'll have to connect to a PS3 only game. Otherwise, they are on their own!

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                          If it was free, I'm sure they would. It is however, not free. It takes staff time and company resources (and therefore money) to make these things work.
                          They are trendsetting here. And the coding is basic. Along the lines of selecting a map.

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                          They, in my opinion, would want to know that they were getting something out of it in terms of customer usage, etc., before they make it.
                          Sorry. But the best way to actually find out is to make it. So many has talked about this so much, that it would be refreshing if someone actually went out and did something about it. And as a Xbox 360 owner, I do not think that the "Shadow Run" way is the way to go. That's only MS wanting to sell Vista and have people pay for online play on pc's.

Comment

Windows Live is coming to XP, and it is still free to Play Online Pc to PC, plus I would guess that cross platform gaming would be more likely on PC to 360.

Comment

UT3 does not use Games for Windows LIVE. We have not decided about cross platform play between PC and PS3. We're not 100% sure that users want that feature but if we get time we'll play around with it and see how it works. In the mean time we plan to be able to serve the PS3 from PC servers so that should help us gets lots of great servers going.

I want it mark. Would it be possible to work on it and maybe add it in as a downloadble patch later on down the road?

Cross-platform on specifically determined servers is a good idea too i think. This was PC and consolers can play vs eachother for a larger community, and cross platform mods too.

Originally posted by void View Post
                              Surely, it will not drain that much resources to make a game server host option and a corresponding PS3/PC game client browser filter. I mean really - this is as basic as coding goes and the easiest and most complete solution that makes sure everyone can have it their way. So again, let the community decide and let Epic show the way for consoles to do this stuff - without the silly windows live poop.

Well, don't do consoles any favours if they are connected to a game session with mixed (pc & ps3) clients. If they wan't auto-aim, and other console treats they'll have to connect to a PS3 only game. Otherwise, they are on their own!
                              I couldn't aggree with you more void. It would be nice to at least have the choice to choose between Cross platform server with PC and PS3 or one platform only servers. Makes perfect sense too me.

The only way we'll see how well it works is if epic actually does it, we can speculate all day but in the end action speaks louder then words.

Comment

I know a lot of guys from my company that would love to be able to have both for LAN party purposes.

There are guys at my work that are 40ish--50ish in age that don't want to shell out 2k for a PC, but are very comfortable buying a PS3 for Unreal (they like the camaraderie and the pretty graphics).

Comment

Working...
                                X