Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For best performance,which OS is better for PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For best performance,which OS is better for PC?

I'm wondering which OS I should be in to sucessfully run this game at high speed.I got a Nvidia geforce go 7950 512 video ram,2 gigs of ram on my laptop.

I'd guess on release probably XP, but the gap between XP and Vista should be closer, at least at equal detail settings. With your set up(7950) XP is the best option.

Comment

OpenGL combined with Linux.

Comment

DOS 2.1 on a 286 with monochrome video in SLI...

Comment

Windows XP should be the best. Vista is worse because of horrid drivers. RIGHT NVIDIA!!!

Linux can be as good as XP but it can also be worse then Vista. Mainly because the lack of updated drivers and lack of game developer support. Many games, even UT2004, don't work or look like their Windows versions. Many times visual effects and even menu options don't work at all.

Comment

I heard that the game runs faster than on Xp and of course Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbotronv5 View Post
              I heard that the game runs faster than on Xp and of course Vista.
              You mean runs faster on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                You mean runs faster on Linux?
                Yes.I want to know if that's true.If it this,then i'm going on Ubuntu.

Comment

XP and Linux would be pretty much on par with each other, unless you have a stripped down (or a source based, compiled for your machine) Linux distro, in which case it might be a bit faster

Both will be faster than Vista

But if you have an ATI card XP or Vista will be faster because the Linux drivers suck

Comment

Yes.I want to know if that's true.If it this,then i'm going on Ubuntu.
                    Yes and No.... I have found it to be a much smoother frame rate then Windows. I also have less mouse lag in Linux. For some reason that has been a issue on and off. But Linux has a fatal issue that keeps me from completely supporting it. It becomes very CPU or GPU limited during very busy fire fights or complex maps. You can easily go from a 3 digit FPS to less then 20 fps during a fight. Which in turn causes major lag when you need nice smooth graphics. Though Linux has changed since the last time I played UT on it more then a year ago. Newer drivers and better kernels with major improvements have come out that will no doubt help.

Comment

XP until Nvidia gets their act together.

Comment

Originally posted by Vendetta View Post
                        XP until Nvidia gets their act together.
                        I submitted a bug to Nvidia. You know what the fix was? Wait for the next driver to fix my issue. That was four months ago. Still no fix...

Comment

XP doesn't use up as much resources as Vista, so if you want the OS that uses up less resources you'll want to stick with XP. I can't tell you much about Linux because I'm not familiar with that OS, but the Linux users here should have you covered on that. Now, with Vista you'll be able to use Direct X10, as with XP you can get up to Direct X9, but the visual differences between Both Direct X version's won't be that much with UT3.

Comment

I want antialiasing, so I'll just dual boot Vista for Gears+UT and play most of my other games on XP.

Comment

ummm you do relize they released a new vista beta driver
                              thats boosts performance a lot, althougth the problem is it will crash to desktop at random.

buts its getting there

Comment

Working...
                              X