I hope vehicles do NOT play a major role in UTIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
    ... the overwhelming majority of maps that you'll be playing on will be user-made custom maps. Perhaps a few of the Epic maps will be worthwhile. Server admins will only put the worthwhile maps on their servers--maps that would have a proper scale.
    The definition of worthwhile is highly subjective.

Comment

This is probably grounds that shouldn't be tread on a rival game's forum, but not implementing well-balanced vehicle-infantry combat would be a bad idea on epic's part, as removing vehicles probably diminishes as much appeal as lowering the useful-ness of infantry combat.

A quick look at Quake Wars: Enemy Territory would be a good way to see how proper vehicle-infantry combat should be done, even with the less floaty-style gameplay from ut2004. I really enjoy Quake Wars's gameplay, but UT3 will definitely be more fast-paced, pandering to my ADHD self, if not just because it will be a faster game, but will include FFA as well.

Comment

Originally posted by onepostwonder View Post
        [...]
        A quick look at Quake Wars: Enemy Territory would be a good way to see how proper vehicle-infantry combat should be done, even with the less floaty-style gameplay from ut2004. I really enjoy Quake Wars's gameplay, but UT3 will definitely be more fast-paced, pandering to my ADHD self, if not just because it will be a faster game, but will include FFA as well.
        ET:QW is a joke, just a sad ripoff of assault. And it stinks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nietzsche View Post
          ET:QW is a joke, just a sad ripoff of assault. And it stinks!
          I have to agree that it's just not very good.

Comment

I remember after I switched from UT to ut2k4, a lot of people argued that they didn't like ut2k4 because of the vehicles, but I've been playing it since it was released and have never had to touch a vehicle.

Now of course you never know for sure how things will turn out, but as long as there are non-vehicle gametypes available, it's generally up to you whether or not you ever see a vehicle.

Comment

Vehicles are fun! Don't knock em. If you don't like them, just play other gametypes and leave the driving to us.

And if you take 30 secs to get to the action in ONS-Primeval, you are doing something wrong.

Comment

I wonder if Epic includes 10 second hoverboarding trips as "spectacle" in their "zero time to spectacle" slogan.

Comment

Since they took out all the hoverboard decapitations etc., I'm going with the hoverboard just reducing the time in between spectacles.

Comment

Originally posted by X-Cannon View Post
                    I have to agree that it's just not very good.
                    Regardless of whether or not you enjoy the gameplay. It's quite well-prepared for tournament play, which will probably be a deciding factor in the upcoming FPS war.

Comment

Originally posted by onepostwonder View Post
                      Regardless of whether or not you enjoy the gameplay. It's quite well-prepared for tournament play, which will probably be a deciding factor in the upcoming FPS war.
                      There's an upcoming FPS war?

Comment

if u like small maps play DM or non vehicular gametypes

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                        There's an upcoming FPS war?
                        UT3, Halo 3, ET quake wars, mercenaries 2, crysis......

Comment

Luckily the modes are there to cater for all.

I for one will be spending the vast majority of my time in DM and CTF modes/maps. I just don't get on with vehicles for extended play in the unreal universe.

I am STILL trying to get back that intimate/up close and personal feel I first got playing DM *ON FOOT* in unreal98/ut99 in maps like tundra and Ariza, flawed as they may be... i'm full of nostaliga for my old times in Unreal and a lot of it was to do with having decent sized characters and no blank spaces or hiding places (though there were the odd camping spot )

Realistically Epic have to put the vehicles in, at least they have trimmed up the game types this time so we should find less dillution on servers.

Comment

We'll also probably see a No Vehicles mutator - either by Epic or by a 3rd party.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                              We'll also probably see a No Vehicles mutator - either by Epic or by a 3rd party.
                              That sounds like it would... suck.

Presumably the maps that have vehicles in them are designed around their use, thus removing the vehicles would make that maps unplayable.

If a map plays as well without the vehicles as it does with them, then they likely shouldn't have been put in in the first place. And no, I'm not saying vehicles don't have their place.

Comment

I won't say it automatically sucks to use a NV mutator, but some maps might also play well without vehicles. Not neccessarily Epic-made maps either.

Comment

Working...
                                X