I hope vehicles do NOT play a major role in UTIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope vehicles do NOT play a major role in UTIII

From all the trailers I have seen so far... the battlefield are open wide big spaced. A bit too much like Halo for my taste. UT is this fast paced game I know... so when you die you instantly respawn and can go into battle immediately after that.

If the spaces are too big and you have to use vehicles to transport then for me this will not be the same UT as I know it.
    I don't like having to travel too much... Travel game=fail game. UT=fast paced game full of action every second!
    Anyways... this is my most anticipated title for this year and the years ahead. I'm still playing UT2k4 till this day! And have played many other previously like UT99 (my favourite)
    Though theres one thing I'm worried about. Will vehicles play a major role in UTIII?

Look at this for example:
    http://bp0.blogger.com/_qGtGl4NFC8s/...s1600-h/05.jpg
    http://bp2.blogger.com/_qGtGl4NFC8s/...s1600-h/14.jpg
    This is Unreal Tournament as I know it. Good action... love this!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_qGtGl4NFC8s/...s1600-h/03.jpg
    http://bp2.blogger.com/_qGtGl4NFC8s/...s1600-h/02.jpg
    http://bp1.blogger.com/_qGtGl4NFC8s/...s1600-h/12.jpg
    These however... look more like a different genre game. Too much travel... too many vehicles and too less action. Too much halo style. (I often wonder if they do this on porpose to atract to a console type of audience... xbox and playstations etc.

PS: Sorry for my bad English I hope u understand

It depends.

DM/TDM is 99% without vehicles, I think (it sounded that there might be one vehicle in one map in DM, but it could have been another gametype too)
    vCTF is with vehicles
    CTF is without vehicles
    Warfare is with vehicles, but you have the hoverboard to go to the action quite fast, teleport from node to node or use the jumppads that are there.

Comment

hi there, yeah i can understand you writing ok... and yes i agree with what you say, large maps is a bad bad thing in this game.. just the other day i was playing ut2004 and i never liked playing ONS much but yesterday i thought i would give it another shot.. I started playing the smallest ONS map there is ( I forget the name. It was the one with one node and under the canopy of forest trees).. Anyway. I got so board, even on this small map that i went strait to the forfeit button. as i was playing i couldn't help but wonder if the hover board would fix this issue for me.. I hope it does. Even with the hover board i still wouldn't want the need to use it to travel 30 seconds to the action.. because i know ill just quit and got to CTF (thats if the bots shoot back this time).

Comment

I know what you mean. I got a ticket playing UT on my laptop while driving down the freeway. UT and vehicles = bad

Comment

This is not EA's Battlefield, you aren't left with 1 or 2 gametypes. Sure, certain gametypes might have more use for vehicles (warfare) but things like classic 1v1 or tdm/dm, and regular CTF most likely will not focus on vehicles (Vehicle CTF is the obvious exception, but I hope most tdm/dm doesn't)

Comment

There is something for everyone.

If you don't like vehicles, play DM or CTF.

Comment

Why not just play no-vehicles CTF?

Besides, the overwhelming majority of maps that you'll be playing on will be user-made custom maps. Perhaps a few of the Epic maps will be worthwhile. Server admins will only put the worthwhile maps on their servers--maps that would have a proper scale.

In other words, don't stress over it. All we need from Epic is the game program and good game play mechanics (movement, weapons, etc.). Custom mappers will take care of the maps.

Besides, I'll probably release a couple of tight maps for folks like you, anyway. I already have a list of UT3 mapping projects that I want to work on, like CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam.ut3

Comment

Or just wait for someone to make DM-Cubes-of-Doom-XtremeEdition394839483

Comment

There are servers to all tastes and chances of having fun with any game type. You can simply choose not enter in any vCTF, ONS, WAR ones.

Comment

I don't think we'll have a problem getting around, for the most part the large maps will be warfare, which (if it's similar to Onslaught) there will be the nodes with spawn points which will cut down on the hiking.

Comment

Vehicles will be a big part of the following two gametypes:

1) Warfare
                      2) Vehicle CTF

Vehicles will not be a big part of the following gametypes:
                      1) Deathmatch
                      2) Team Deathmatch
                      3) CTF

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see some third-party maps for those gametypes have some vehicles in them, but they are not vital to the success of those gametypes.

Comment

Originally posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
                        Why not just play no-vehicles CTF?

Besides, the overwhelming majority of maps that you'll be playing on will be user-made custom maps. Perhaps a few of the Epic maps will be worthwhile. Server admins will only put the worthwhile maps on their servers--maps that would have a proper scale.

In other words, don't stress over it. All we need from Epic is the game program and good game play mechanics (movement, weapons, etc.). Custom mappers will take care of the maps.

Besides, I'll probably release a couple of tight maps for folks like you, anyway. I already have a list of UT3 mapping projects that I want to work on, like CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam.ut3
                        Sounds great... I almost forgot about custom map servers :P

Comment

It simply comes down to the fact that they have already spent a huge amount of time on getting the non-vehicle modes right, but what can you advertise from it?
                          As brilliant as UT is just on foot, it's hard to really show "what's good" about that to new-comers. Thus, they're doing the intelligent thing by using the vehicles and flashy effects to sell the game.

The aspects your worried about have almost certainly (from what I can tell)been learned from. The game wasn't built around vehicles, but to grab a huge % of the market it needs to look like it has.

Comment

Well I just read a Hands-On from IGN, and it seems at least 1 DM map has a Dark Walker in it as the only vehicle by the sounds of it.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/804/804933p1.html

This sounds a bit dodgy for DM. Can't say till we have tried it tho.
                            You would certainly need a few players in the server or it just wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
                              Server admins will only put the worthwhile maps on their servers--

Sorry, I just found that to be funny.

I'm sure you meant 'some' server admins, which I guess is true. But as it's written, it's quite funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X