Standard Server Checkbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard Server Checkbox

I just watched the Jeff Morris Stage Demo interview. In it, he mentions the top three concerns with UT3. The third one he mentions is mods, and how wonderful the modding community is and how the modding community has kept UT2k4 alive as long as it has.

Yet at the same time, admins and mod authors are hamstrung by the same organization which praises and encourages them by the implementation of the Standard Server Checkbox.

I'm sure 99.5% of you here, as part of this active community, knows about it. For those of you who don't know, this is a little checkbox in the lower left hand corner of the server browser which will filter OUT any servers with "mods" that in Epic's opinion changes out of the box gameplay. It is on by default. Far too many people to this day do not know about it, and leave it on without realizing it. This causes many servers which may have seen playership otherwise, languish in silence. It has undoubtedly cost Epic in terms of playership, as they see far fewer servers. Many players I'm sure got bored of the game after a year or two, and never even knew about the wonderful mods which are out there. Maybe 10, 20, or even 50% of them would still be playing if they had. And all players with this checkbox on see right now are half the servers which are running, and the servers they see are running with the same vanilla game they were running four years earlier.

So for UT3:

Leave it in until the first patch? OK.

Give the player a splash screen telling them about its availability? OK. But leave it off by default.

Or the best yet: Put your money where your mouth is. Mods are important? Show us you really mean that by allowing mods to get a wider audience, and allowing admins to get more creative by getting rid of the standard server checkbox altogether.

Rich (TW)

i agree with all that

Comment

Yes, *please* do one of the options he mentioned. Same order of preference for me

And while we're at it,, this hasn't been mentioned I think since all the new info started coming out:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, do not allow compatibility between demo servers and full version servers. I could understand allowing it until Patch 1, so there are servers available after the initial release. However, more than a few weeks past release, there's no reason for it at all.

Comment

will the mods work for PS3?

Comment

They need to keep the button, and make it visible. Just make it unchecked by default after a while. Its **** handy though. I get sick of mods after a while!

Comment

Originally posted by ziadoz View Post
            They need to keep the button, and make it visible. Just make it unchecked by default after a while. Its **** handy though. I get sick of mods after a while!
            They don't need to keep the button. Simply make it another filter option.

Rich (TW)

Comment

<--- SVA

I agree, you don't get half as many servers, i turned it off straight away, but some don't notice it.
              Even small mods i think makes your server non standard.

Comment

Originally posted by ToxicWaste View Post
                Or the best yet: Put your money where your mouth is. Mods are important? Show us you really mean that by allowing mods to get a wider audience, and allowing admins to get more creative by getting rid of the standard server checkbox altogether.

Rich (TW)
                ChaosUT/ChaosUT2/ChaosUT2:Evolution says Amen.

Please leave that stuff to the filters.

Comment

Originally posted by ToxicWaste View Post
                  So for UT3:

Leave it in until the first patch? OK.

Give the player a splash screen telling them about its availability? OK. But leave it off by default.

Rich (TW)
                  Hear hear! Let people see the variety of the online experience and the limitless gameplay options and let them choose. We'll have a healthier more vital community that way, imo.

Comment

And while we're at it, here's hoping they've done away with the whole "community" tab in the menu as well. That was a lot more heartache for mods than it was worth.

Oh, and how about multiple profile support, so folks can play a mod and then play a vanilla with less hassle.

Guess it's too late to ask for anything, just hoping they've made it more mod-friendly this time.

Comment

Working...
                    X