No announcement yet.

Onslaught and warfare combined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the best thing yet. They took the best parts of both games, streamlined it into one flexible gametype. Having seperate ONS/Warfare/Assault would just fragment the community and Assault would have died, AGAIN!

Assault maps were too long and difficult for most mappers to make the oldway. With the new structure of ONS underneath we should see more maps that aren't stupid race-maps

Comment

Originally posted by TWD View Post
      Don't confuse yourselves. That doesn't mean that there will be "assault style" maps released with the game. Only that it is theoretically possible to do without creating a new gametype.
      I'm not confused. That's what I've been saying; if you don't like WAR you don't have to make an AS mod, just make AS-type maps in WAR. Or, at the very least, try to make the AS map you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul View Post
        Race maps, the killer of 2k4 Assault.

Truer words were never spoken, I'm all for creativity and making unique things but race maps got out of control and became stupid copies of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregori View Post
          This is the best thing yet. They took the best parts of both games, streamlined it into one flexible gametype. Having seperate ONS/Warfare/Assault would just fragment the community and Assault would have died, AGAIN!

Assault maps were too long and difficult for most mappers to make the oldway. With the new structure of ONS underneath we should see more maps that aren't stupid race-maps
          Illogical thinking.

Hi Bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
            I'm not confused. That's what I've been saying; if you don't like WAR you don't have to make an AS mod, just make AS-type maps in WAR. Or, at the very least, try to make the AS map you want.
            I would pump out maps like crazy...if it was based more like Solid Works. I don't really want to learn another program.

Comment

Illogical thinking.

Hi Bacon!
              Not really. Proper Assault maps in UT2kx/UT were generally too hard to make.
              ONS Maps were somewhat easier( Which is why there was so much more of them!), they've a consistent underlying gameplay structure that doesn't vary from Map to Map. Warfare uses this as the base of the gameplay with Assault style side objectives. With that underlying structure it should be easier to make Assault style maps in Warfare. Every Assault map had to practically individually reinvent the gameplay for thar map entirely based on a bunch of arbitrary goals.

Comment

And how many of those other ONS maps where actually good? YOu think Warfare will be easier to map for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                  Perhaps, but don't you think it would be better for the community to just make an assault gametype anyways? Going along with the same logic from the CTF vCTF battle this would only make sense. That's why I merely point that out, because everyone acts like warfare is going to be the new assault and it's just not going to go down that way. I don't think the assault fans will be at all happy with it. They need their own modded in gametype. Besides I don't think that assault maps will be nearly as hard to make with kismet around now.

Comment

And how many of those other ONS maps where actually good?
                    Any map that looks decent. Results may vary, but nearly every Onslaught map can be given a node layout that flows.

You think Warfare will be easier to map for?
                    It's Onslaught with a handful of entirely optional features. How can it possibly be harder than Onslaught? It merely has more options.

What I worry about is WAR-darkwalkerraceomgwtfbbq-2-fixx0r-SE.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                      What I worry about is WAR-darkwalkerraceomgwtfbbq-2-fixx0r-SE.
                      That's precisely my worry too. Racing assault games should have been a mod, but since a mod needs to be downloaded separately, it was better for the racers to hijack assault rather than try to set up a race community extenal to the main UT interface.

So a mechanism of either making mods more accessible and more integrated, or give the very bare bones of what the community is guaranteed to map (classic ONS, assault, racing, freon) a void in the game that they can fill will save a whole lot of confusion 12 months from now.

Comment

Server admins could use the vote menu to make a maplist for each predefined voting category. If they put race Maps into the same list where the others are in, too, it's quite obvious ppl will vote the wrong map from time to time

I don't think race maps alone ruined assault. Used to play assault a lot and when I came back and tried to learn it again, ppl used too many new tricks you had to learn.

I though I could really try and learn them again but with all those arrogant AS pros on that server I finally found out it's not the community to be back in again. From three new tries it was always the same which kept me away from ever trying again.

The same thing happened to me with TDM. Ppl said it was all the fault of TAM but in fact TDM was already dead and TAM at least brought back some of the old players and made TDM alive a bit again. During the "near-to-dead" phase I tried to play TDM several times again and there were so many arrogant players which made me stay away from it just like digging their own grave if they do this to all ppl.

As for the stats I think you should just disable stats if the voting category "race maps" is voted and re-enable if a competitive mod is selected. This is up to the server admins.

Comment

Originally posted by B1tchkilla View Post
                          I don't think race maps alone ruined assault. Used to play assault a lot and when I came back and tried to learn it again, ppl used too many new tricks you had to learn.

I though I could really try and learn them again but with all those arrogant AS pros on that server I finally found out it's not the community to be back in again. From three new tries it was always the same which kept me away from ever trying again.
                          I m going to stop you right there. I see you are in Germany. I know the Euro AS community. While they may not be as super cool as the NA, they are still cools guys that are willing to teach people how to play because they know they have a small community. Perhaps you met Mi5 in early 2k4, but you have obviously not try in a long time.

Originally posted by TWD View Post
                          That's why I merely point that out, because everyone acts like warfare is going to be the new assault and it's just not going to go down that way. I don't think the assault fans will be at all happy with it. They need their own modded in gametype.
                          ^^^
                          I, and many others, stated this fact plainly on the old epic forums, all i got was locked threads
                          Any map that looks decent. Results may vary, but nearly every Onslaught map can be given a node layout that flows.

It's Onslaught with a handful of entirely optional features. How can it possibly be harder than Onslaught? It merely has more options.
                          Looks mean nothing, this is not msuc.

If you don't use the optional features, it is ONS then. Objectives are a delicate feature. Don't know how many good maps are ruined by bad objective flow.

Comment

Epic could do for Race what they did for VCTF; make the gametype but don't make any maps. The gametype would show up as soon as you'd download a Race map.

Comment

Epic could do for Race what they did for VCTF; make the gametype but don't make any maps. The gametype would show up as soon as you'd download a Race map.
                              Would work for, that or an all out ban on them :P Nothing worse than playing a good map then Hellbenderrace35beta26 getting voted because the greenhorns are getting owned on real maps.

Comment

Nothing worse than playing a good map then Hellbenderrace35beta26 getting voted because the greenhorns are getting owned on real maps.
                                Nasty democracy! Tyranny of the Majority!

I hear you. Really. We've all been there. Not always on the same side of the vote mind you.

Comment

Working...
                                X