Cross Platform PC/PS3 specific servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross Platform PC/PS3 specific servers

Hey I know there are many cross platform topics but my idea is slightly different.

So the idea I had was to see if it would be possible to have cross-platform available to specific servers. PC players when entering the server would likely have to play at the slower gamespeed of the PS3, but that would be their choice and seperate from normal PC only servers.

The point is it would be great to at least have the choice if you want to go in a server with PS3 players, just as you have a choice to go into a server with mutators such as instagib or low gravity which alter the gameplay as well.

Do you guys get what I mean? I just think it would be good to at least have the option to choose. Anyone else interested in cross platform play if it's possible to implement like this?

Well first of all, EPIC hasn't confirmed PC/PS3 cross platform play but if they did implement it, I would agree with your idea to be able to have servers specifically for PC players only, or PS3 players only, or a mix of both.

I personally would only play with PC players though because that's where the best competition will be.

Comment

These PC vs. PS3 servers would have to nerf the mouse as well, in order to be balanced. And I don't know why anyone would want to subject themselves to that.

Comment

Perhaps don't nerf anything? Remember the interview when they said one of the designers sneaked into the PC testing match with a 360 controller and still did very well? If you don't want to play against PS3 players or PC players, you can join a different server. Nerfing would only ruin i think. It would be nice if they enabled this for the demo so we can find out how well it works. But please, no inter-demo-fullversion play after maybe 6 months or something? And keep the best maps out of the demo - i can wait. Otherwise some people *cough*Gamearena*cough* will still run demo servers 4 years after the game is released.
        The server operator can have settings to enable/disable PS3 or PC players.
        It would be nice if voice chat could be disabled per platform also, due to the uhh "squeakers" on the PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenocide View Post
          These PC vs. PS3 servers would have to nerf the mouse as well, in order to be balanced. And I don't know why anyone would want to subject themselves to that.
          Nerfing the mouse is not the only way to balance. There are other ways as well,but thats not the point. I just think it would be a great way to test this whole console vs PC thing in real world not on paper,with no consequences because there would be standard UT3 PC only servers of course. PS3 players would also have the option to join this cross platformed servers or PS3 only.

Also if for example, say you have a friend who you know will get UT3 on PS3 (I do) you could play with him on your PC if thats what you game on.

If modding is crossed platformed, why not optional servers for both platforms in online gameplay as well?

Comment

I don't oppose the idea, I'm just questioning how many players would be likely to use it.

Comment

Xenocide, I don't want to be rude... but uh, no, you do NOT nerf the mouse input *slap*. You either seperate the communities, or offer USB mouse support for PS3s(They did).

They have not confirmed cross platform and it is likely that they won't allow it, simply because the PS3 and PC clients will differ enough that exploits would/could be found when the server allows non-pure (console, I'm assuming PC is the main platform because of the series previous games) clients to connect to the server.

You want to play with a mouse? Go buy one. It's like saying my 2 button mouse isn't as good as your 8 button mouse, you're not allowed to use the other 6 buttons.

Comment

I don't see it affecting gameplay at all. I have a USB mouse and keyboard working on my PS3 and broadband connection. I can easily say I'm ready for this...

Comment

Also it seems to be rumored that it'll run better anyways...

Comment

GR8 idea

Originally posted by RyGaR View Post
                    Hey I know there are many cross platform topics but my idea is slightly different.

So the idea I had was to see if it would be possible to have cross-platform available to specific servers. PC players when entering the server would likely have to play at the slower gamespeed of the PS3, but that would be their choice and seperate from normal PC only servers.

The point is it would be great to at least have the choice if you want to go in a server with PS3 players, just as you have a choice to go into a server with mutators such as instagib or low gravity which alter the gameplay as well.

Do you guys get what I mean? I just think it would be good to at least have the option to choose. Anyone else interested in cross platform play if it's possible to implement like this?
                    I agree I also think that it could be an option to be turned on or off in settings menu so people dont walk into servers they dont want to

to thoes who say the PC settings should be changed to slow down for PS3 I think that should be a server option so people can play others on the regular settings if they want to

Comment

The host of the game should have the ability to kick PS3/PC users, as well. I know there would be those PC gamers who enter a PS3 game just to have an advantage over players on a PS3, and the host should have some control over game balance.

Comment

only if

Originally posted by ULTRAVISITOR View Post
                        The host of the game should have the ability to kick PS3/PC users, as well. I know there would be those PC gamers who enter a PS3 game just to have an advantage over players on a PS3, and the host should have some control over game balance.
                        Only if you are playing...

Intentsly

Comment

Originally posted by intentsly View Post
                          Only if you are playing...
                          LMAO. NO. Troll again, flame again, and I'll report your sorry *** to an admin. ,;,, ,,;,

Comment

Sigh....

If they find bugs I'm sure the PS3 version will be patched... But for now I don't see any advantage a PS3 user will have over a PC user.

Comment

I think that it won't be PS3 servers, PC servers, and mixed servers. I think it'll be Pad servers, Mouse/Keyboard servers, and mixed servers.

Because the PC can support 360 controllers and the PS3 can support Mouse/Keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X