Unlockable demo content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlockable demo content

The World in conflict beta (an excellent game) has a brilliant idea. If you pre-order a game, your demo CD hash can be upgraded with a code that unlocks additional levels.

Demo players who preorder get more levels, and get more of an incentive to upgrade, due to inability to play some maps (a big problem with UT2004 where loads of people just play the demos still) - and us, yur loyal fans, that have pre-ordered get a few extra maps to keep us occupied till November.

Epic gets higher first week sales, and the game goes higher in the charts quicker.

Win-Win.

So I'm off to preorder WIC now.....

I hope the demo (if there is a demo) has limited online support and only a few levels (maybe one for each gametype). Then Epic should drop support for the demo when the final release hits the streets. Who wants to keep a demo, when you have buy the full game. After all it's a demo of the full copy, and shouldn't have such support as you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectUT View Post
      I hope the demo (if there is a demo) has limited online support and only a few levels (maybe one for each gametype). Then Epic should drop support for the demo when the final release hits the streets. Who wants to keep a demo, when you have buy the full game. After all it's a demo of the full copy, and shouldn't have such support as you mention.
      I totally agree, and also think that the demo should have a 60-day expiration, and that demo and retail servers shouldn't be compatible.

Comment

I know we have had this conversation before, but I would like the demo to expire after a certain amount of time and get more people to fire up the full game. The demo should be a teaser to entice people to drool all the way to the store to buy UT3.

Comment

seconded... ...wait, thirded.

Comment

I think the demo shouldn't be unlimited in time, but weapon limited. Just because the hackers could easily manage to break this limitation.

why not just 3 or 4 guns available ?

Comment

Originally posted by utzBluesman View Post
              I think the demo shouldn't be unlimited in time, but weapon limited. Just because the hackers could easily manage to break this limitation.

why not just 3 or 4 guns available ?
              So basically just like the UT1 demo?

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
                So basically just like the UT1 demo?
                I never played any Unreal or UT demo... Was ut99's demo limited in weapons ? Did it work ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
                  I totally agree, and also think that the demo should have a 60-day expiration, and that demo and retail servers shouldn't be compatible.
                  Once again, YES PLEASE.

And for goodness sake, if the demo/demo servers will be run the same as UT2004, please say something to that effect soon. Because I won't bother spending several thousand dollars for shiny brand new server hardware and up to a couple hundred per month for co-loc fees to run and showcase the full game.

Comment

Its kinda funny how Mark Rein always takes on the horns when someone challenges his business ideas, It would be nice of him to comment on this as a business standpoint of leaving the Demo up unfettered versus what seems to be a player concensus of limited demo time.

Comment

I think the way they have demos in the past is perfect. Limiting it is pointless. Why should you care if other people play the demo for 61 days, rather than buying the full game? If people enjoy the demo well enough, they will buy the game. All the demo needs to do is tease with just a couple levels, and a slightly limited arsenal.

Comment

The ongoing free demo is one reason why the game still remains so played online. You still have new blood joining the demo servers, which then move on to the full game.

But that's off topic.

Comment

ps. Another very important feature in this game which is worth, ahem, flattering......

You have a list of all players you've played with, and how often you've played against them. you can PM them, invite them to your clan, join the server they're on, make them a friend.

It's by far the best system of in game communication I've seen, and worth a look.

Comment

Working...
                          X