Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding mods - full conversion possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding mods - full conversion possible?

I've read on some gaming news sites regarding UT3 and I was overjoyed over the fact that it's finally possible to mod a game for a console! But I'm still puzzled over how the word mod is used.

I can't get it straight if we will be possible to just change the game elements in UT3 itself like game types, maps and new skins or if we'll be able to make a full conversion? Like Insurgency for HL2 is.

I'm also a bit interested if the development process will be different from doing it for PC version? I mean, will we have to code differently? I do understand though that we might have to optimize the assets differently and that comes with testing the hardware live.

I would be really thankful if anyone cane straighten up the facts, if it's possible at this time. Thanks for reading.

You just make it for PC, and there will be a conversion tool, and then you put it on the PS3. That simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
      You just make it for PC, and there will be a conversion tool, and then you put it on the PS3. That simple.
      I'm not sure where u got that information, sounds like you've done it before.

Comment

I'm also interested where you got that info. Because I can barely find any info regarding the modding itself so far. Care to share?

Comment

UT3 on the PS3 will be able to download modded game content from the PC version of the game and instantly implement this content on the PS3 via memory stick. But PS3 owners won't even have to use their PC if they don't want to; players will be able to navigate to UT3 sites, downloading and uploading content at will.
          http://ps3.ign.com/articles/804/804015p1.html

Mods built for the PC version will work on the PS3 version of the game. Right now, Epic is testing this functionality by copying the content onto a memory stick and then copying that to the PS3 hard drive, but they’re hoping to get the PC removed from that equation and make mod and map downloading a part of the PS3 version.
          http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?si...tories;title;4

from the way that sounds there will be no difference. i mean there wont be 2 versions of mods, 1 for pc, 1 for ps3.

the way jeff morris said it on gamestop interview today he said mods are "cooked" for the ps3. not really sure what he means, but it sounds like during the compile it sets everything up for ps3 compatibilty.

so how long till we get gow ps3 mod?

Comment

Okay, sound like it's fully possible. Thanks for the info! I wonder though... How do we have to think about control schemes when developing it on PC anyway? Joy control schemes I guess. :P

Also I'm no PS3 owner, is the PS3 controller bluetooth? Would help to playtest the controls on the PC if you get what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              Okay, sound like it's fully possible. Thanks for the info! I wonder though... How do we have to think about control schemes when developing it on PC anyway? Joy control schemes I guess. :P

Also I'm no PS3 owner, is the PS3 controller bluetooth? Would help to playtest the controls on the PC if you get what I mean.
              To answer your last question yes PS3 controllers are bluetooth.

Comment

If you want to mod on the PS3 you'll probably have to install a proper OS on it and hook it up with a mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                X