No announcement yet.

Make Way for Midway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh god no, you horribly misunderstood if you think I want that. CTF without t/l is terrible. I'm saying leaving it like 2k4 is bad, making it like UT99 is good. I meant the changes to it from UT99 to 2k3 should have been patched out/removed early on, because they clearly were bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Worlock View Post
      I'm really at a loss to understand how Epic could possibly think leaving the t/l anything like 2k4 is a good idea. I was actually for changing it when 2k3 was coming out, but it obviously was a bad idea after playing with it. It should have been patched out of 2k3 early on, let alone included in 2k4, let alone included in UT3.

Seriously, wtf.
      UT3 is an entirely new game. I wouldn't be so hard pressed to pass judgment with out even trying it out first.

In my opinion, the UT2004 translocator didn't work because of the scale of the maps. It might work out in your favor in UT3.

Comment

From what I understand, things are supposed to be smaller and tighter in scale, which makes the t/l limitations more damaging, not less.

Comment

maybe the hoverboard will help make the limited number of trans less of a problem. lol.

but seriously, wait till the demo comes out before jumping to conclusions. maybe there are 100 charges for the translocator or something lol

Comment

i still havent watched the new footage from teh midway show but any news on where the pic for my avatar comes from? did they show the robot team in the vid???

Comment

Originally posted by zeitgeber View Post
              maybe the hoverboard will help make the limited number of trans less of a problem. lol.
              Last we heard, the hoverboard and the xloc are mutually exclusive. You have one or the other, not both. This may have changed though.

Comment

ffs... what the hell is wrong with the UT2004 trans? How can it possibly 'ruin' CTF?

Comment

The t/l is the single defining characteristic of UT CTF. How it functions can very easily make or break maps or the entire gametype. I'm not going to go into the pages long explanation that would be necessary. Anyone who's played UT CTF any length of time knows what I mean, even if they don't agree. Someone else can make the explanation that will obviously be pointless to you if they feel like it.

Comment

Though it sounds like if you drive past someone farting on the hoverboard, you'll fall off - so while faster it's gonna take some skill, & / or luck

Comment

Originally posted by Worlock View Post
                      The t/l is the single defining characteristic of UT CTF. How it functions can very easily make or break maps or the entire gametype. I'm not going to go into the pages long explanation that would be necessary. Anyone who's played UT CTF any length of time knows what I mean, even if they don't agree. Someone else can make the explanation that will obviously be pointless to you if they feel like it.
                      You'd need to give an example, most skilled players don't seem to encounter problems with the UT2004 trans. Others on other forums can't understand why this would cause such a massive problem either, you just simply learn to time your trans.

I think the following ruined CTF in UT200x:

weapon damage
                      adrenaline
                      **** maps
                      shield gun
                      lack of community (because of the above)

Comment

I have an opinion. All intelligent people agree with me. If you disagree with me you are unintelligent or unskilled. If I can not persuade you to change your opinion to more closely resemble mine then the problem is with you.

Blah blah blah ....

Not directed at anyone in particular... just the flavour of the day it seems.

Comment

All of those things certainly helped ruin it, yes. CTF in 2k* is complete garbage, which is why everyone went to TDM. The 2k4 trans in most 2k4 maps isn't a huge problem, because most of the maps are several times larger than they need to be. In a massive cavernous map like Bridge of Fate it works because you can throw it 5 miles away.

UT3 is supposedly more "in your face" which means smaller, tighter maps and more up close gameplay. Try moving through a small indoor map in 2k4 with lots of turns with 6 t/l charges. You'lll find yourself walking a whole lot. That's not fun, or intense, or fast paced. To each their own I guess, but I lived CTF for years in UT, I do NOT want to see 8 people playing CTF in UT3 like it is in 2k4.

Comment

1. Spider Mines follow the laser of the Avril Dont tell me they're back..ahrrh!

2. What he said:
                            Originally posted by Destini View Post
                            ffs... what the hell is wrong with the UT2004 trans? How can it possibly 'ruin' CTF?
                            I dont get the big deal of limiting the translocator, it just means the whole match isnt a bunch of blurs flying past each other the whole time. Small map with tight corridoors? Run through them! Adrenaline was more the problem with ctf.

Comment

If you are chasing a fc, the last thing you want to do is walk. The trans is what gives UT a fast pace in CTF.

Comment

Gamespot writeup:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?si...pslot;action;3

As part of Sony’s annual press conference here at E3 2007, the company revealed that Epic’s Unreal Tournament 3 would be coming exclusively to the PlayStation 3 this November. While that sounds like a real bummer for PC owners, you need to remember that, for whatever reason, the console makers seem to forget that the PC exists. So the game will be releasing on the PlayStation 3 and the PC this November. Regardless of all that, Midway brought the PlayStation 3 version to Sony’s press conference, and we got a chance to play this long-awaited first-person shooter on its new console home.

This first-person shooter appears to be running quite well on the PlayStation 3, with plenty of graphical detail from top to bottom, all running at a good, firm frame rate. The demo station we saw was running a standard deathmatch against bots, allowing us to get a good feel for the controls. R1 and L1 handle your primary and alternate fire. R2 is used for dodging, something that required you to double tap the movement keys on the PC. Epic’s Jeff Morris, who was on hand to talk about the game, commented that he’s been dodging much more frequently on the PS3 due to this easy-to-use controller mapping.

Aside from the PS3 version looking to be on par with the PC version, the other key thing to know is that the PS3 version of the game will have support for mods and other user-created content, in a way that sounds like it will be a first for consoles. Mods built for the PC version will work on the PS3 version of the game. Right now, Epic is testing this functionality by copying the content onto a memory stick and then copying that to the PS3 hard drive, but they’re hoping to get the PC removed from that equation and make mod and map downloading a part of the PS3 version. To speed up loading overall, the game can be completely installed to the PS3 hard drive, but you’ll still need to have the disc in the drive for copy protection purposes.

To hear Epic describe it, the differences between the PS3 and PC versions are few, and aside from the controller differences, the two versions do look quite similar. For one, the game will implement Sixaxis tilt control for steering the hoverboard or piloting the redeemer missile, which is a super weapon that you can steer into targets. Game speed and the size of collision areas are also being adjusted a bit to better tune the game for gamepads.

Overall, the PlayStation 3 version looks pretty impressive, and the thought of mod support just might make it a viable alternative for a series that’s primarily thought of as a PC franchise. It’ll be interesting to see how the two versions stack up when they hit stores this November.

Comment

Working...
                                X