This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross Platform play

Is there any news on whether there will be Cross Platform play? I remember a while ago Mark Rein stated that they dont know if there going to include it in the final game but that they were looking into it. And if they do have it that means they are going to have to make two games for pc a directX9 and a directx10 version because i think only directx10 has cross platform play.

Originally posted by Illuzionz View Post
    Is there any news on whether there will be Cross Platform play? I remember a while ago Mark Rein stated that they dont know if there going to include it in the final game but that they were looking into it. And if they do have it that means they are going to have to make two games for pc a directX9 and a directx10 version because i think only directx10 has cross platform play.
    DirectX has nothing to do with network compatibility between the platforms. There were cross platform games years ago.

No further news on if there is cross platform play. But it is still highly unlikely.

Comment

no no no, I read posts stating epic has said no to cross plat play. THANK GOD

Comment

Is it some kind of myth in developing circles that Xbox owners want to play against PC gamers. It adds nothing to gameplay, and just gives people on Live one more thing to complain and smack talk about. No thanks. Even if we are able to get our controller abilities in UT3 to a level that might be competitive against good PC players, the two control schemes are different enough that every win would be "I am on a controller you must suck", and every loss; "I am on a controller that match meant nothing".

This is a competitive game, and the reason that Xbox360 is attractive to me for it is because everyone will be equal. I won't have play against people with better systems than my own, or play against someone who has some kind of gaming accessory that gives him an advantage. Letting PC gamers play against us would be a horrible move, especially if it wasn't optional. Thankfully, it looks as if it won't happen.

Comment

Is there any news on whether there will be Cross Platform play?
          I could've sworn I've seen this question before.

because i think only directx10 has cross platform play.
          I think someone has been selling crazy pills to people on this forum.
          Where do you guys get ideas like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
            I think someone has been selling crazy pills to people on this forum.
            wasn't me... ...eaten them all myself.

Comment

My mate on msn told me that only DirectX10 can support cross platform play :S

Comment

cross platform play wont happen @ UT3 (source: several interviews with the EPIC ppl)

Comment

My mate on msn told me that only DirectX10 can support cross platform play :S
                  Can i have whatever your friend is smoking?

dx10 has nothing to do with cross play.

Cross play can be done on any device, an iphone connected to the internet can "play" ut3. At base level cross play is two systems communicating coherently with each other, which can be done in many ways (serial cable, infrared, internet, ect).

A real world example of cross platform is the web, i can see this website on my pc, wii, pda, phone, dreamcast, and my friends mac and iphone. All use different render engines and may see slightly different things but are able to read and write to the forum fine.
                  A game example can be ut and ut2004, both are able to be played on 3 platforms (windows systems, linux, mac) using 3 different render engines (software, directx, OGL).

Comment

With the ps3 version they were talking about having mouse and keyboard support.
                    I think it would be cool if they made it possible for players using a mouse and keyboard with there ps3's, could join pc servers.
                    That way it would be fair, and allow me to play ut3 the way its meant to played on my big screen LCD

Comment

There will be no mouse and keyboard support in PS3 version of UT3. Get it out of your freaking heads. there have been thousands of other threads about the same idea and there are too many things that make Mouse and Keyboard support unfair to the PS3 audiance in UT3.

Comment

There are enough threads about this, closing.

Comment

Working...
                        X