Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Destructible environments, UED4, UT3, and you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by toniglandyl View Post
    well a giant mole can do the job, or as a high-level magician, you can use levitate + prismatic sphere and dig with that (the beasts under will be burned with fire, acid, electricity, then poisoned, petrified, be poisoned, sent on another plane of existence. in that order).
    Unless of course there is a level 83 < (R) magical fire creature > that decides to eat your magician for lunch and then turns around and goes back up the newly opened air-support hole to wreak havock on your base.

My vote goes for superweapons the only way to break through terrain. It would be the only sensible way to implement it into the game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What I'd like to see in UT3 is water actually acting as water. Being able to make the water go up would be nice for some traps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
    I'd love to see environments changing and being destructible. Mainly for because the idea of killing some1 with a piece of land and a funny death message to go along with it seems appealing. Here's my deathmessage, though I think Epic should come up with something 50 times better than mine:

*Yourname tried catching a 10 ton boulder.
    Yeah, that message would be funny for about 2 times at max. Gameplay, though, would suffer.

You know what, I would prefer long lasting, good gameplay with a few funny messages less.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xyx View Post
    "Screw this dungeon! Let's summon a <copyrighted hulking creature> and tunnel straight into the treasury!"
    well a giant mole can do the job, or as a high-level magician, you can use levitate + prismatic sphere and dig with that (the beasts under will be burned with fire, acid, electricity, then poisoned, petrified, be poisoned, sent on another plane of existence. in that order).
    I want buildings to be destroyed by a super-weapon only. a building with the node on ground level can have it's roof destroyed by a deemer striking on it directly, making the roof collapse, allowing air support to that node.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think everyone should spend a bit of time considering what this woudl really mean for the game. Much of it is bad.

First off, the design of the mappers would be easy to subvert, if destructable features on the environment were common. Think of any map, and how different even a single new route would mak it play. Deck-17's route from the flack cannon to the shock rifle is an example of map-breaking with a single new route.

No matter how limited or hard to find, peolpe would still find the new routes, and exploit their advantages every time. There would be no practical difference between just adding in the ruined route from the beginning, unless creating the route would cost a lot of effort. This would be a delicate balance, as too much effort and the feature would be counter-productive, and too little and it would become a route the mapper could just as easily place from the beginning.

Some players would insist on shooting everything, looking for destructable features. Others would open the map in UEd, and tour the map during the game, destroying everything instead of playing.

Entire maps would be made destructable, and instead of race maps, we'd have demoliion maps taking over whatever gametype was unfortunate enough to be picked by the demoliion community.

I think human nature is a good enough argument aginst this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As far as I know it's not in; I expect they'd be showing it off a lot more if it was. I think that the rock bridge mentioned in the first post is similar to the the stuff in AS-Junkyard that toniglandyl mentioned; just some preset stuff that can be destroyed by triggering in some way. Or perhaps it's part of a set of destroyable environment elements, another rock bridge that looks identical breaks at the end of that trailer/video.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd love to see environments changing and being destructible. Mainly for because the idea of killing some1 with a piece of land and a funny death message to go along with it seems appealing. Here's my deathmessage, though I think Epic should come up with something 50 times better than mine:

*Yourname tried catching a 10 ton boulder.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by toniglandyl View Post
    welcome to pen&paper RPG
    "Screw this dungeon! Let's summon a <copyrighted hulking creature> and tunnel straight into the treasury!"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Weren't these desctructible things a super weapon thing? As in the ion painter explodes a cliff and a massive landslide crushes people?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah i hope it features significantly too - it just adds to the awe of a game. I loved it in Red Faction - i would spend 10 mins searching for a key for this **** door, then finally realise all i had to do was blow a hole in the concrete wall next to it and crawl through! Obviously only some parts of the geometry were destructible, but if they could do it back when the PS2 was released it shouldn't be too hard to implement now.

I did love how the rock bridge came down on the paladin in that video though, very impressive! Imagine what a mapper could do with rock slides, large boulders on hills etc - it adds a whole new tactical level to the game.

'Oo theres a guy with an orb at the foot of the cliff blow me....ill just push this large rock off the edge with my scorp ' Or ' Oh noes! Incoming darkwalker! Wait - those boulders look a bit loose! *Fires a rocket and a stream of rocks hurtle down the hill, swiping the walker off its feet*

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, this isn't Worms, and I think the guys at Epic realise this. I'm sure they'll make good use of it.

I assume it'll be used to hide some powerups, trigger small traps in Warfare and similar things.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I believe that if Epic is going to make destructable enviroments, they'd need to make walls (if walls are going to be destructable as well) extremely durable.

Example: A brick wall cannot be destroyed by the enforcer. A few rockets will start to break it, but you need alot more than that to destroy it. Brick walls should have to take teamwork to destroy: Multiple rocket launchers firing on the same location to the brick wall. In which case, the wall shouldn't just fly open, it should just be big enough for someone to jump-crawl through; or going back on my idea(posted in another thread)use beneath the hole as cover, and shoot through it, laying down surpressive fire as his teammates run through the once-was heavily guarded door.

Example 2: If they are to put metal walls in, these should be indestructable. Nothing can penetrate them. Nothing.

Example 3: Drywall can be destroyed by anything, rocket launcher would do a significantly faster and cleaner job, but the enforcers (or any melee weapons that may be involved, [is the Impact Hammer back?]) can do it as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    maybe in some maps, but it might break some warfare games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [QUOTE=Jrubzjeknf;24926255]"The objective is in that room!"
    "But the doorways are heavily guarded!"
    "Who gives a **** about the doorways? The walls aren't guarded! Take cover!!"
    /QUOTE]

welcome to pen&paper RPG

i would like a good implentation of destructible environments, occasionally.
    I don't want that in DM or something like that. It sure can be very cool, but gameplay-wise, i don't think it is. UT2004 had good things in AS-Junkyard : making a tower fall or pipes roll so you must take a certain path (longer of leading to a trap)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jrubzjeknf View Post
    "The objective is in that room!"
    "But the doorways are heavily guarded!"
    "Who gives a **** about the doorways? The walls aren't guarded! Take cover!!"
    Meanwhile, on the inside of the base:

"Listen! You hear that? They're coming through the walls!"
    "Quick. Empty your rocket launchers into the floor. We'll create a ditch here that's deep enough to make them fall to their doom, and too large for them to jump across!"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X