UT3 Dileup Frendly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Dileup Frendly?

I have a slow conncetion, (Dileup) and probley thats all ill ever have, and i like UT3 so can you play UT3 online with dileup like you can with UT2004?

I would think so. The amount of game essential stuff (i.e. stuff that has to be sent over the internet) happening at the same time probably hasn't increased much.

(by the way, it's spelled dial-up)

Comment

Hmmm...

Dunno dude, i think u'll be laggy as hell....

Comment

As the game gets larger and has more objects it gets harder to support dial-up. Many newer games do not support dial-up because of the lack of bandwidth and latency. As most people have broadband it will be likly that they drop dialup support.

As it stands i do not know how a dial up person could play ut2004 with all the mods on many of the servers, it takes 15 minutes on my 2mb connection to try some new servers.

Comment

It won't be easy..

Originally posted by Lord Vipes View Post
          I have a slow conncetion, (Dileup) and probley thats all ill ever have, and i like UT3 so can you play UT3 online with dileup like you can with UT2004?
          It will still be fun for you, but don't set your expectations too high on how well the gameplay will be online. I remember UT99 on dialup, at times it was ok, but anyone with a really good connection could always take me out. The Lag Beast will be your enemy, make sure you check out the tweakguides site to optimize your connection in Windows! Good luck!

Intentsly
          (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

Comment

I don't know, no game is dial up friendly if its server side. Only client side netcode can grant something like that.

For the many who hate client side netcode because you get more unregistered shots, I tend to like that more then having a stupid delay on a weapon I shouldn't with 60 ping.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
              As the game gets larger and has more objects it gets harder to support dial-up. Many newer games do not support dial-up because of the lack of bandwidth and latency.
              Actually that's often just the result of bad or lazy programming. I can tell you straight away that none of the games currently in the online top 20 on Gamespy (except maybe for the Battlefield games and Neverwinter Nights. I have never played or spectated those) have significantly more network-relevant objects visible simultaneously than UT2004.

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
              I don't know, no game is dial up friendly if its server side. Only client side netcode can grant something like that.
              I think we only have to consider bandwidth usage here. If Lord Vipes considers UT2004 playable on dial-up, we can safely assume he doesn't really mind the constant delay as a result of high ping.

Comment

I have 20 mbit cable... just thought I'd throw that into the conversation.

Comment

I have 100 mbit fibreoptic. You = pwned.

But more bandwidth does not = lower ping after a certain point. I still get better results by choosing a manual netspeed of an odd number like say, 7777 than selecting "LAN/T1".

Comment

Dail up should be banned and forceably replaced with dsl or faster
                    Who am I kidding, this isn't Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Vipes View Post
                      Ouch, sorry to hear about you stuck with Dialup. Can you somehow switch to DSL? I know my internet company diddn't provide me with affordable DSL until last year, which IMHO *should* have been offered back at 2003 or
                      2004. But oh well, better late than never. If you can't switch to DSL and stuck with Dial-Up, then the best way to combat LAG is to turn down some stuff in UT3. But when I use to have Dial-up, when my brother played through FPS games online, he tried turning some graphics down but his games still lagged a bit. It helped but not too much. So the best that I can reccomend is turning down some of the graphics, but that may not help much. The best option, IMHO, is to try to get affordable DSL from your provider. If they don't demand for it or try switching to another provider.

Comment

The biggest problem with dial-up is the extremly slow rate of downloading updates, patches, ect. Personally I wouldn't even play on-line with dial-up, mainly because the game will become incompatible with other version after some time. Then there's the downloading of user content which can run into the dozens of megs, something that will take ages to download.

Comment

Heh. Interestingly that means how dial-up-friendly UT3 will be will, in part, depend on how good the stock maps are.
                          I don't recall playing a lot of custom maps in the original UT and I think that was because it had plenty of great maps out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                            I have 100 mbit fibreoptic. You = pwned.
                            Lol, sure, till it hits the next junction box.
                            Then you suck **** as much as the rest of us...

Comment

Seriously, if you can get hardware to run the game, get some decent internet, provided you don't live in middle of nowhere (suxxors for you).

Comment

Working...
                              X