Skarj Out of UT 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skarj Out of UT 3?

I have read on multiple sources regarding the playable races to be chosen from in the game, i think theres one or maybe even two new teams, but what worries me is that there is no Skaarj!.

Ive not seen a single screen-shot or mention of the skarj in UT3, maybe im looking in the wrong places, or maybe i am dyslexic ,

But honestly they are my favourite race by a mile, and although i didnt like their look SO much in UT2004, (i prefered the original UT skarj) But id love to see a re-modelled skaarj, wit maybe longer dreadlocks that would have ragdoll physics etc....

Could someone help me please?, or at least point me in the right direction?

because i dont see a reason why UT would simply leave out one of the most prominant races in their franchise!.

Thanks in advance

The Krall seem to resemble them IMO, so try them and see how they
    I seriously don't see the Skaarj making a return for UT3.

Comment

We don't know yet what happened to the Skaarj or why exactly they ain't making a return (as they're not), but maybe that'll be clearified in the SP storyline.

Comment

yeah, lets hope so.....

I miss the skaarj!, they have been in every last Unreal "universe" game up to this point, havent they? unreal and the tournament games?.... or were they gone from UT 2003?.

oh well, this annoys me a little, but i guess i have to get over it!

Comment

Hope the skaarj will be back. Taking the skaarj out is like taking the flak cannon out...or like taking the minigun out. Those have always been in, and they need to stay in.

Comment

Whatever. The Skarrj make no appreciable difference in a UT game. They're just an avatar, after all. It isn't like in an SP title, where the abilities and characteristics of a Skarrj opponent have an actual impact.

And if people miss them, they can always put them back in themselves.

Comment

Well i think that characters in a game add to the overall atmosphere of a game, even if they are just an avatar..... if what you are saying is true, then theres no reason for malcolm or xan, as their abilities and characteristics are the exact same as everyone elses and have little actual impact.

For a UT game to feel like a real UT game i think there has to be recognisable and re-occurring faces, to make it feel more like a series and to add a little continuity, and i think just like malcolm would be missed, its quite understandable that certain gamers would miss the skaarj, who have been a nemesis-like figure for the entire series.

I respect your opinion though, and you are correct in saying that skins for them can easily be made to remedy this.... its still a shame to some gamers though

Comment

My point wasn't to come of as any sort of "only gameplay" purist. It's just that it takes more than mere models to make me feel like there's Skarrj around. The 2k Skarrj just didn't feel like anything other than a model, and, given the ranges of most fights, were just distant targets with guttural names.

I'm not saying that some sort of Species Statistic mutator is the way to go, but there's a lot more that could be done to differentiate the experience of fighting Skarrj or Necris rather than, say, Mercenaries. The sounds should all be different, and that goes beyond pitch-shifted voices or hissing pronunciations. Similarly, the animations need to be a lot more distinctive. Skarrj that move like humans will just look like humans in a suit, even if they've got big tusks.

I just think that to make Skarrj balanced with the others, you've got to take out basically everything that makes them Skarrj. This lessens their impact, and makes them a lot less cool in the player's minds. Better to be absent and longed for, than present and forgettable.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing the Skaarj Hybrids return from the Original UT. But most importantly, please...please Epic...please give us skins that look good unlike the mostly god awful skins that were in UT 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Skandalouz View Post
                    Hope the skaarj will be back. Taking the skaarj out is like taking the flak cannon out...or like taking the minigun out. Those have always been in, and they need to stay in.

They did take the minigun out. They took it out for a nail gun who's alternate fire can nail an opponent to the wall.

As for the Flak Cannon...I highly doubt Epic would get rid of a weapon so prominant and effective as the Flak Cannon.

I <3 the Flak Cannon.

Comment

They did take the minigun out. They took it out for a nail gun who's alternate fire can nail an opponent to the wall.
                      Yea, but the primary fire of the stinger is exactly like the minigun's primary fire so..........it practically wasn't removed. Its pretty much the minigun, but with a new look.

Comment

One of the epic members(I forget who) said that they might be adding additional characters such as Skaarj and even Skaarj vehicles in perhaps a later big bonus pack for UT3.

At anyrate, I disliked the Skaarj models in UT2004 and in UT1. I'd have to agree with the thread starter that the original Unreal Skaarj look much better. The Unreal 2 Skaarj looked the the best to me, they resembled the original Skaarj so much with better graphics.

Comment

the minigun is hitscan, the stinger (replacemente) isnt.

Comment

Originally posted by HellFox View Post
                            the minigun is hitscan, the stinger (replacemente) isnt.
                            If I recall correctly the primary fire on the UT3 stinger will be hitscan. Don't assume it isn't just because it wasn't in Unreal.

Comment

Yea the UT3 stinger is hitscan, I remember hearing about it and that it would just add up on top of the many list of projectiles that already fly around in a match and ultimately ending up slowing down the netcode.

Comment

Working...
                              X